Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2006 ltz 400 not starting

Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 ltz 400 not starting

Hi, I recently purchased a 2006 ltz 400. It ran when I looked at it. Brought it home and it will not start. We finally got it running after sometime. Ran for a few minutes shut it off let it set it started right back up. Let it set overnight the next day same thing, a dead roll.

Changed plug, we blew out the vacuum line going back to the petcock as i read that they can stick. Gas would run out the gas line when engine was shut off. After blowing out the line this seemed to stop. Replaced plug and nothing. Took plug back out and it was soaked. Would not even start on ether.

Like I said got it running after some fiddling around and it runs great when it runs. No hesistation or anything. It has a good spark. Just rolls. does anyone have any ideas.........Could this be a petcock diaphram issue???? Or is it just stubborn. Going to pull start it tonight and see if it will start onits own after that.......thanks help please!!!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

What setting is the petcock valve on?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

all most every time i hear about a ''wont start'' its that the valves are to tight

Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

The petcock is on the run or reserve position. The gas trickles out when it is shut off. That is what I am thinking it is a petcock problem. Tonight we pull started it and it ran great. Shut it off then it restarted fine. Now I will wait to see if it will start tommorrow.......Took the gas line off and plugged it as soon as we shut it off so the bowl would not overfill and flood it out again. I am thinking if this starts tomm. then its definately petcock related. If not I did speak to someone who thought also thaT THE valves may need to be adjusted.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Get a jug and bypass the petcock and see what happens then. But it could be the filters on the petcock stopped up also. As each side of it has a screen on it. I had to take mine apart and clean the inside and the filters. As i just went through that gas keeps dumping after it sits with mine also. Leave mine on reserve setting now.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

At almost 5 years old, it's due for a valve adjustment.

Trying to remember on my 06 kfx, but I thought I had prime/on/off on my petcock. If yours is the same, prime will flood the carbs and cause the overflow.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

valves

Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

it doesnt matter were you have the petcock if the needle and seat are doing there job it shouldnt flood out.if it has spark and youn took out the plug and it was wet then your getting fuel,your either loosing spark or its flooding out,then check valves,but do a compression check,if low then check valves.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, The common thread of everyone I have talked too seems to think that the main problem is that the valves need adjusted. We blew out the gas line back through the petcock and now the fuel just bare drizzles out when the machine is not running. So it may be plugged partially or something. I am going to clean it out and also have a shut off I am going to place on the line anyway just so it has an actual shutoff on it. Then the petcock problem would not matter anyway .... Thanks for your help..........

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also if someone could tell me where the valves need to set set too. I know that adjusting these are a little different than the older ATvs . Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 ltz 400 not starting