Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New Clutch for 03 Ozark TAKE 3! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch for 03 Ozark TAKE 3! Why?

I have put two clutches in our Ozark in the last few months. The quad is used to take the garbage out and run around the property a bit. My kids use it mostly. I replaced the steels and fibers both times. I also used EBC heavy duty springs. This last time, the clutch was fine for about 5 hours worth of use and it is now slipping again and I cannot adjust it to stop slipping. What should I be looking for? Something else must not be happy or I am doing something way wrong. But, the clutch was fine both times after replacement for a short period. I attributed the first failure to using regular motor oil. This time, I used ATV oil and it still failed.
The Centrifugal clutch seemed fine. The shoes are intact and I brought it to the dealer to have a mechanic inspect and they seemed to think it was fine.
The slipping just started yesterday and I have grounded the quad before any further damage. Ideas?

Old 10-12-2017, 05:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I have fitted new clutches to Eigers, they seem prone to needing replacement fairly often, and found brand new EBC friction plates were on the minimum thickness recommended by the manual, not good, but they did work OK. All I can suggest is your adjustment may not have been spot on, and once they start to slip, they glaze the plates, so further adjustment doesn't work. You have to remove them, rough them up with coarse emery and make certain the adjustment is spot on after you put them back.