ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   Suzuki Eiger 400 4X4 2005 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/334436-suzuki-eiger-400-4x4-2005-a.html)

WalterBragg 01-25-2011 02:55 PM

Suzuki Eiger 400 4X4 2005

I have a problem starting in cold weather. It starts great in warm weather. It cranks good, plug fires it just will not start. But if I remove the plug an lay it on a heater tell it is warm to touch. Then put it back in it will start on first crank. I have bought 4 new plugs same problem. On a cold day before it is cranked the first time. If I remover the plug, warm it, stick it back in it will start on first crank. On a different cold day, if I pull the plug in the atv, but a new plug in. I can crank it tell the battery goes and it will never hit.

Anyone have a clue to that the problem may be?

beart0y 01-26-2011 12:22 AM

Mix is too rich and coats plug. Try with less choke. Your float level may be slightly too high.

TLC 01-26-2011 08:18 AM

Try a thinner cold starting oil like 0w or 5w at most. MY old Big Bear started much better in the cold with 0w-40 than with 10w-40.

WalterBragg 01-26-2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by beart0y (Post 2996967)
Mix is too rich and coats plug. Try with less choke. Your float level may be slightly too high.

I tried it today keep choke off still did not start. I pulled the plug warmed it replaced it still no choke and it started first crank.:huh: What is the different between a plug at room tem and a plug warm to the touch?

If the oil was to thick. That would make it crank slow, right? It cranks just like it does in warm weather.

And before I forget thanks beart0y and TLC for the help.

WalterBragg 01-26-2011 09:27 PM

ok i was just told I need to change to a hot plug for cold weather:huh:
What are your thoughts on running a hotter plug?

----------------Hot type----- Standard-------- Cold type
NGK------- CR6E---------- CR7E-------- ------ CR8E
DENSO --U20ESR-------N U22ESR---------N U24ESR-N

beart0y 01-27-2011 12:35 AM

For some odd reason, a warm plug takes less to fire than a cold one. Maybe you have a weak coil.

WalterBragg 01-27-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by beart0y (Post 2997314)
For some odd reason, a warm plug takes less to fire than a cold one. Maybe you have a weak coil.

Ok thanks will check that out. I will have to wait tell then weekend and borrow a multimeter for a buddy. Will post what I find out. Thanks again

BB's 05 Eiger 01-27-2011 05:59 PM

Quick ??? How do you get the dang choke cable of the carb when you are removing it for a rebuild?? I'm stuck and I'm supposed to go wheeling this weekend... Thanks in advance for the advice

papa hogg scoot 01-28-2011 06:44 AM

Walter....I would check compression!!!! May need to adjust values.If compression is low the hotter plug won.t help cold crank problems,, The reason while crank with an heated up plug IMO would take less compression to cumbrust the fuel and an heated up plug is already warm and the fuel vapors inside of head and piston area ignites quicker...This is my opinion..

WalterBragg 01-28-2011 02:09 PM

You were right it was a weak coil. It was producing a yellowish or orange-colored spark. Replaced the coil and I am getting a blue colored spark now. :nod:
Thanks for all the help guys :D