Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

91 lt 250r weird starting need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 lt 250r weird starting need help

hello well here i got the bike this winter been running nice changed practically everything on it to bearing base gaskette head water pump etc.. was ridding in a not raining time had a few puddels but nothing to drown it or really to even get in the motor , usually is a two kick starter . but decided to bog on a hill was stuck in bettween two ditches and 2 mils from truck grrrr tried to start it periodically for an hour or more making sure it wasent drowned nothing a good samaratine came and helped me get it on the road a we bum started it on third it got me to my trucks almost healthy feeling just felt like missing power from exposion in chamber stauled it to install the ramps on the truck and darn thing wouldnt start again by kick so pushed it down a hell of a steep hill almost ran it in a ditch at bottom but was able to thank god start it again this way was feeling weak supposed to usual . got it home put new plug on it and tested three new ones all gaped and wouldnt do beep.. looked at the fire and seems weak to me by eye on all of them . the other day just for fun tried it again after being sitting a few weeks ended up starting in the middle of 9 ish kick wouldent turn off but wasnt reving crazzy poped the clutch and killed it after tried starting it again and would do jack . question for fire wise would this look more like a pick up coil , magneto point issues or im just off have most spare parts and kind of stubborn letting another hand on my machine thank you for your help apreciated i do have the book for it but dont give me clear enough trouble shooting for this

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first thing, do a compression test. When a good starting 2 stroke starts getting fussy like that, usually you are down on compression. Also the fact that you had to do a clutch dump to shut it off tends towards some type of air leak, so actually that should be the first thing you look for. That will also cause hard starting and low power, eventually leading to a blown top end.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default compression test done

ok got myself a compression tester looked at the book for know how , tried finding the factory copression for inside the cylindre but tells me not much but i think 70 ti 1 and for my year beleive 80 to 1 , well this is pretty much blah blah and tester reads in lbs i think lol , well on first kick i hit 90 psi second kick i hit 120 psi third kick i hit 145 to 150 on forth kick i hit 170 and fifth or so kick i hit 180 decided to leave it at that can someone tell me if good or bad , oh yeah got the spark plug back on kicked it cold and started second kick no choke tried it multiple times and starts right away . but still no response from the kill switch . chequed for leaks none what so ever from all gasketts a little leak from exaust to motor but since it is only a spring that hold it in place figure normal . so kill switch dead but do my compression seem good
thank you all

Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Compression is great!
Maybe a bad reed?
You can use a ohm meter to check the stator and CDI. You'll need to find out the specs.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

the bike runs overhaul great but a few question to get answered when i morning start or plain cold start it bogs on until i hit 3 rd then goes like a charm seems to me carbons a lot have too change my plugs every 2 to 3 rides thanks for your help has uni foam filter wiseco piston and reeds same a tri z , running on the br8es spark plug or middle range .

Old 07-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Sounds like too big of main jet.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

cause i know got twoo set ups for the quad one racing set up and other looks farly stock and feels like the guy just swapped heads cause the 87 set up has cracked all the way two the ports i have a keihn carb on it and have a mikuni in a box so i guess i would have the carb for the racing set up on a stock set up i beleive your telling me

Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

just did a compression test and hit 180 psi in 4 cranks then stayed is that good

Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Originally Posted by juko
cause i know got twoo set ups for the quad one racing set up and other looks farly stock and feels like the guy just swapped heads cause the 87 set up has cracked all the way two the ports i have a keihn carb on it and have a mikuni in a box so i guess i would have the carb for the racing set up on a stock set up i beleive your telling me
I don't know anything about that LOL I think your main jet is twooo big Your compression is very good

Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

can i interchange jets from mikuni to keihn cars
thou not a biggy to swap carbs but just currious