Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Rebuilding and repainting a 1987 Suzuki LT-F230

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rebuilding and repainting a 1987 Suzuki LT-F230

I picked up a suzuki LT-F230 a couple months ago to mess around with, it has good plastics and everything works with the exception of the front brakes. This model seems to be long forgotten by suzuki as it was only made for 2 years. I believe the engine in it is the same 229cc engine thats in the popular lt-230, i checked the diagrams of the cylinder and cylinder head and the only difference is a different intake pipe, and thats where my question comes in. Are engine kits interchangeable between the LT-F230 and the LT-230 of the same year? In particular I'm looking at a 260 bore kit for a 1987 lt230. Also, the previous owner used krylon fusion paint on the fenders, and it looks great and all, but its like he used flat paint. I was wondering if adding a few coats of krylon clear coat would give it the shine I'm looking for? If not, could anyone recommend a product that will? Preferrably under $20... Thanks.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

Well krylon fushion, I have worked with it before for soap box derby shell, plastic.

Here is what I can tell you. from my experience.

Proper prep is very important for this paint and fushion paint is not really glossy.

A couple of things I can mention. but not under $20.00.

Is you may want to wet sand the whole thing with 400 wet sand and spray white krylon fushion, a few light coats. 2 to 3.

Use this as the primer. then wet sand again with 400 grit once dry and then shoot the color of kyrlon you want to use.

krylon paint is meant to be more flexable, versus for plastic that flexes some.

Putting a clear coat on it, will take away from that and can orange peel if not the same type. i think I used clear laquer for mine. but you will need 2 to 3 cans to get it to look right.

Depending whats under neath is, meaning cracks or ect. often people fail to do a proper plastic restore, and they just paint on top of it.

Perhaps, if you are willing to put some elbow grease into it. you could remove the paint thats on it and either try the novus 3 step plastic polishing process with a buffer. which will make a huge differance and might be better overall.

But what I am kind of trying to say here, Is they if the person who sprayed it, did not do a proper wet sand prep on it to begin with. either the paint will not ever look right or stick to the plastic correctly.

Since I do not know what it looks like. All of this may be over kill tips and advise.

So at the very least, you want to wet sand it with 400, before doing a gloss on it. If it's thick enough paint there on it already to do a light wet sand on it.

Many people who paint, often do not apply enough coats to do the job right. thats why spray paint in a can has such a bad image other than a lack of hardner in it and it takes forever for it to cure. a full cure is like 3 to 6 months.

Probably way more of a reply than you asked for, but I hopes in deciding in what to do.

here is a few before pic's of my recent polishing. this was after a soap and water wash.

Name:  before-1.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  before2-1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  before2.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  29.6 KB

here is after.--

Name:  after1.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  after3.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  after2.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  53.1 KB

Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the soap box derby car. I was refering too.

It's the red / white and blue one.

It's called a super stock and it made from recycled milk jugs. Thats the plastic used.

The white you see, is the krylon fushion. I used 10 cans of it, to do the whole car. I wet sanded it before and after.

Then I used regular paint for the red and blue. I then used 6 cans of clear coat for it.

The other one in the back groung, all red. is just a stock soap box derby car, just polished up.

Name:  good1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  89.4 KB

Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I never imagined i would get such a great answer in such a short amount of time! Did you paint your quad yourself or did you just shine it up? Would love to know how you painted your fenders.

All that's left now is the question about the engine, let me simplify it. Is the engine in the lt-230 the same as whats in the lt-f230? Not talking about the gears or anything, just wondering if i could use an lt-230 bore kit. If not, is there anywhere i could get a bore kit for the lt-f230? I'm wanting to bore over 250 if possible. I'm not even concerned about price at this point, as long as its not something ridiculous.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

I just polished the atv, with novus plastic polish and a buffer, no paint.

I was hoping someone else will comment on your engine questions.

I own a 1985 lt250e and a 1988 lt300e. But I do not know about the 230's or differances.

But I do imagine, you could bore it out 20 thousands or maybe 30 thousands. but until you take the cylinder off, hard to say where the wear is at now.

I would bet someone will chime in. I know when i look on e-bay and ask questions. I have often found a range of products that will work for my atv, even though its not the same code.

Do you have a service manual ? usually if the engine is the same, it will list a range of years or models, that it covers.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

What would you recommend i use to paint my f230 fenders? I want to make them as glossy as i possibly can. I will be painting them black with a red stripe down the front fender. Unfortunately the vent on the front fender isn't removable on the f230, so it'll be tough making a stripe look decent.

You've been a big help sporty, thanks.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Aside from the krylon fushion for a base coat. I would automotive paint.

I like the laquer from autozone. The car paint. I think that duplicolor mfg paint.

Sporty

Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bump... Anyone know anything at all about the engine differences in the LT-F230 and LT-230? And are the carbs the same? Come on guys... Someone has to know.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

This bike must have been pretty unpopular, that would explain why no aftermarket parts are available online Here's a picture of a 1985 suzuki lt-230 (not sure of the exact model), its painted the exact way i want to paint mine. http://p1.bikepics.com/2008%5C07%5C0...47243-full.jpg

The only difference i can see between my 87' LT-F230 and this 85' LT-230x is mine has different decals and a different mount for the rear carrier. Now if you can imagine this quad without the decals, and add a plain red "Suzuki" decal with "LT-230" under it on the side, this is what i plan on doing, I'll also remove the light and add 2 round lights mounted on the front bumper.

I suppose i have no choice but to keep the rest of it stock, since no performance parts can be found I'm sure i could buy a muffler and stuff like that, but i was REALLY wanting to get a boost in hp and torque with a bore kit, carb kit and air filter...

Either way, the motor is now off and I'll start the tear down either tomorrow or friday. I was thinking about replacing valves, piston rings, bearings and cleaning and repairing the carb (this thing ran without a filter for who knows how long), this should restore it to stock performance for the most part right? Also, how can i increase throttle response? Will the carb rebuild address that? Thanks a lot guys

Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Ohh, thanks for sharing that link of what you have in mind to do.

Well, just taking that cylinder into a machine shop and having it bored out and many shops can get the piston and rings for you. which is good to do.

I think just boring it out and re-doing the valves is going to surprise you. Yes the carb kit, should resovle the current issue you mention.

I would also check the cam and compare the specs, make sure its in spec.

Btw, I knew a guy who once welded a few beads on his cam lobes and then ground and polished them to gain some more lift on his cam.

This was on a roto tiller, and that thing sounded like a a drag car pulling up to a stop light at idle.

You could also have the machine shop, shave a thousandths off the head. this will give you a little more compression too.

have the intake port polished can also give you a little more ump.

And im sure ya will likely end up replacing the clutch springs and new fibers.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding and repainting a 1987 Suzuki LT-F230