Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

NEED HELP! Eiger charging issues but all electrical test are good?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Eiger charging issues but all electrical test are good?!?!?!?!

Hey everyone I'm new here so this post may not be in the correct thread and I'm sorry but I need some help. Ive read all the posts about loose flywheel magnets and such but check this out :

I have a 2002 Eiger 4x4 manual.

The quad runs fine but the battery will not stay charged, once the battery runs down far enough (within a few hours of running) the quad dies. Recharge the battery and it runs fine.

Here is the major issue: I have performed EVERY electrical test in the service manual and EVERY test is FINE!!! The battery is brand new (and it did this last year with another new battery and has sat since) Ieven have a brand new rectifier and even with that it still isnt charging.

Im thinking its the whole magnet thing but the stator is putting out the proper voltage, isnt shorted to ground, it ohms out properly, the rectifier old and ne both check out fine. UGH

Any help would be greatly appreciated before i dig into the motor and dont find any problems!!! Thanks in advance

Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the post and immediately thought of the magnet issue....I'm no guru, but just thinking and know how frustrating it is to have an issue you cannot get put to bed. Maybe my amateur thinking might put you onto something..

Battery takes a charge on a charger, then does not take juice from stator(I think this is what you are saying)...Are you sure the quad is putting power back correctly? Not an electrical person, but could volts read right on test with low amperage or something like that? I know I have little tiny 12 volt batteries half the size of AAA batterys and although 12 volts, they must be milli amps....So volts would be 12, amps puny....

Other thing I am thinking is maybe a phantom drain on the battery, like something drawing extra that stator cannot keep up with drain? Like if I put a ton of extra lights on quad that stator could not keep up with....

I'm gonna look at my service manual....I have a multimeter, but really do not know how to run tests and would like to figure that out......

Best luck,

Scott

Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Ask Lynn Edwards in the kids section. He's a electric genious.