Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 lt 125 stumper..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 lt 125 stumper..

Hello group. I recently got an 85 lt 125 and i cant get it to fire. Here's the scenerio. Has 160lbs compression, Had Yellowish spark, so i replaced coil and plug. Bright blue snappy spark now. Carb isn't right, but right now i just want to hear it fire with some fuel in the plug hole for 3 seconds so i can maybe buy or re-build the carb. with fuel in the hole, tons of compression, and snappy spark... What could be remaining?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Could this happen if the valves were not adjusted correctly? I read another post stating you could set the timing by removing the chain tensioner, looking at the end of the Cam, lining that up at TDC with the gold pin up. . I took the pull start off, and looking at the shaft there, i see no markings. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well..After getting all this great advice, i finally got it running. Seems that a mis-adjusted valve can in fact prevent the motor from starting. That paired with making sure the carb is on so it's not getting too much air. I was able to verify this by placing a piece of cardboard over the intake to richen it out and got a pop. Still won't take throttle, but it adles all day now. im just getting the carb put back together correctly. Hope this helps someone with a similar issue. Case closed.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

if it wont rev up its usually a plugged pilot jet, need to take carb apart and spray car cleaner and compressed air throug all jets and passageways

Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by drkilldrmz
Well..After getting all this great advice, i finally got it running. Seems that a mis-adjusted valve can in fact prevent the motor from starting. That paired with making sure the carb is on so it's not getting too much air. I was able to verify this by placing a piece of cardboard over the intake to richen it out and got a pop. Still won't take throttle, but it adles all day now. im just getting the carb put back together correctly. Hope this helps someone with a similar issue. Case closed.
yes valves outta adjustment or over adjusted will mess it up on cranking,...check rubber boot between carb an intake for cracks an vacume leaks,...will need air intake/filters to run right or carb wil need re jetting!! e-bay for parts,...info hard to find for old suk's sept for the 230s..good luck!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

The machine will idle all day long now, but the thing i cant figure out is why when i pull the rope, it shoots fuel from the small hole in the primer. Also, spits from there when idling as well. Nothing leaking from overflow or anything.
And as a service to the group,
google EBSCHOST and use the
name marshall
Password public
In that list is a collection of clymers manuals that cover many different models. Good Luck, and Thanks.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

carb probably "set up" an needs a good cleaning,...seen carb set for years an do ok,..seen up set up in a month before to...3 differnt jets in these vacume carbs,.any one not right an it wont run right!