Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Help me plz and thank you

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me plz and thank you

Alright guys i just bought a suzuki 250r 2 stroke. Motor was rebuilt, has fmf power core exhaust yayaya so on and so forth. anyways, heres my problem(i know how to ride them but i have no clue on fixing them or whatever), when i hit the gas it takes off but when that power band hits i think the chain skipps cuz i here it crackin down there, my chain pops off too, and if im going up a hill it will pop pop, catch take off, pop, chain comes off. heres a video of my chain and bike and tell me if this is the problem. chain was loose as crap too.

im sorry im an idot on this, iv never owned anything with a chain before and i need to learn more about it.

250r quad racer worn sprockets? - YouTube

ok i know the front one is toast, should i buy a back sprocket or will it be ok for a bit?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow that front sprocket was due for a change a long time ago.

To answer your question I would replace both sprockets and i would replace the chain also.

The rollers on the chain are most likely work out and the chain is probably stretched.

I also would recommend this for your safety the last thing you want is to come up to a jump or something and throw the chair.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah man im going to just not ride it until its changed. i was really freaking me out cuz id hit that throttle and it would just skip skip skip. Iv have never rode a 2 stroke or anything with a clutch for that matter. well i did ride a 350 warrior just one time. i dont think a warrior has shyt on this 250r. no disrespect to anyone with warriors they are great bikes, im just amazed at the power of this 250r. then again the only thing iv ever rode is big bears and stuff. its a big change and im going to have to be carful cuz im not experienced with this much power. respect the bike or it will hurt you, so iv always been told....

now i ordered new ones, i went up 1 or 2 teeth in front, and down 2 teeth in the back. how much of a difference will the bike be. and since im getting new ones im assuming it will knock my socks off since the chain wont skip anymore.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

One more quick question. I have a popping sound the comes from the front. Is it normal for a 250r 2 stroke. Runs fantastic. Just dident know if this was normal. Doesn't do it when I'm running. Only at idle. Maybe first gear but when I hammer it and go its bad a$$

Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

FYI: when you replace sprockets, you should replace front/rear, and new chain. They last longer that way.
Gearing: 1 tooth up front is equall to 3 on the rear. So with your 1 up on the front and 2 off the rear, your going a smidge faster. 2 up on the front will go even faster.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

So the bike came with a 13 on front and 42 in rear. I went up one in front and down 3 in the back. What is the proper chain. I know it needs a 520 chain. I'm lost at this point.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Up 1 and down 3 leaves the gearing the same.
Yes a 520 O or X ring chain. You usually get a chain and cut it to length.
Count the links on the chain your using now.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm going to buy a whole new chain because the chain on it has never been replaced. It's stretched and wore completely out. Going with a 520x102. Should work. ..... I think