Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 idle carb issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 idle carb issue

First of all I have searched for days and cannot find an issue like mine. I have a 98 LT80 that I just did the top end on because the carb had fell off and sucked in sand and scored the cylinder. I also cleaned, boiled, poked out the passages on the carb and installed new jets, stock. The bike will run, very rich. It will not idle unless I adjust the throttle cable out to nearly 1/4 throttle. I have the banshee petcock and it appears to not be floddling the engine. I pulled the carb off and hooked up the gas line and left it on, no extra gas came out. I have since put the old jets, which are clean, and old throttle needle. The bike does the same thing, it revs fine but there is no way that I can have the throttle closed and keep it running. In the manual carb diagram it shows a washer under the e-ring that holds the throttle needle in place, the one used for adjustment. There was nothing there when I took it apart and in the kit there is a small o ring that fits the needle but I've never seen that before, I've seen where there is a small aluminum washer under the e-ring. I hope someone can help, I need to get this running right so I can sell it, need parts for the Banshee.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If the slide was all apart, assembly would go:: Lil fiber disc, needle with clip, flat washer like thing that's notched for the cable.
Pull spring back to expose the cable end. Stick cable end in slide, align the washer notch to the cable and let spring go in the slide. The spring holds the washer thing which holds the needle in place.
Hope that helps.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

LT80, well, I dont have a fiber disc that came with the rebuild kit, only 2 very small o rings and only one of them fits on the needle and it just doesnt seem like that should go on there. I've had needles that had a small aluminum washer, do you think that wuold work? Also do you think that the needle position would make the quad do what its doing. I really have to have the cable adjusted way out, basically holding the throttle open to about 1/4 throttle otherwise it doesnt run. I've read posts where people say that their bike will only idle with the choke on, mine isnt like that. If the throttle is release all the way, even with the idle adjustment all the way in, it will not idle. I will not sell the bike the way it is because its just not my style. I want it to be in a running state that I would expect one to be. I sure hope you can help because from what I've read you are the guru on the little 80's.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was hoping to more help. I lowered the needle and can get the little quad to idle but I have to not leave the gas on. It has a banshee petcock and if I leave the gas on it floods it. If I let the bowl drain down some it runs great. Question is would putting the stock petcock solve my problem or is there something else going on. Help please.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

More help..I figured we found the problem...No fiber disc.
Did you lower the needle or the clip? If the clip fits into the space on the slide, it makes sence to raise the clip to compensate. That still don't make not having the disc correct. I think I have them discs.
A petcock doesn't make fuel go by the float. Ever since motorcycles were made, you had to shut the gas off or they flood. A vacuum petcock was made because ppl forget or can't understand to shut the fuel off.
On is off till vac is made by the motor turning over. Till they malfunction that is.
I install a simple on/off valve close to the carb so that it can be shut off and the machine ran to empty the bowl faster.
Altho it seems that you did a good job of cleaning the carb, did you pay special attention to the float needle and seat?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I looked. The clip indeed sits way down into the slide when the fiber disc is missing which would explain it all I guess.
I do have the disc's.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!

First of all, excuse my bad spelling, from Sweden so it''s a litle trixy...

I have exactly the same issu on my lt80.
It idel for 15-20 sec and then dies(when it's been left alone fore some time)
Directly after it dies, i can start it, but just with trottel, and it wount idle! And it dosen't mather if i tune the idel...

I have cleand the carb 2 times, with ultrasound and the ordenary way!

It sounds to me that the fuel will go emty in the carb?

I have checked the petcook and it seems to work, if sucks in the vaccumlin, it will open! The only strange thing is that when I remove the vaccumline there is som fuel caming out of it?!? Should it bee that way?

Best regards/ Markus

Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Welcome to the forums.
Don't worry about your spelling. It's better than some that are US citizens.

Fuel: I'm told (thanks fearlessfred) that the diphram in the petcock can go bad/crack/pieces broke off and that allows fuel to go down the vac hose and into the motor.
This may explain why it shuts off and a hard restart. It's flooding out. While running it'd suck fuel in fast.
Take that hose off and see if fuel drips out while sitting there a while.
If so, a new petcock (a $20 banshee petcock works) is in your future.
Check it out and let us know.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks LT80 i apriciate it!

Okey! I'm so sure that i found the sulotion!
I'm 9000% confident that it's the petcook!

This is what i did:

I first started it up, and as before it started well, and after 10-15 sec it shut down. I then pulled the fuel and the vaccumhose of, also this time it came some fuel out of the vaccumhose....

So I onece again sucked fr.o.m. The vaccumhose, this time hard and for a long time( no not that type of sucktion, I leav that fore the girls) lol!
But no fuel!!

So i started it up again, and when the engine started to go bad, i pulled the vaccumhose of! Thada!! It emediately started to idle and sound reely nice!( as long as the fuel in the carb lasted) and yes, when I pulled the vaccumhose of it were full with fuel...

So, the conclusion, i'm a bad sucker and the membrane in the petcook does let fuel pass by when it becomes worn!

So! The question, can I modify the petcook and use a fuel valv to shut it of, or is ther any universal petcook that fits?

Thanks for all help

The following users liked this post:
Snow. Camo (03-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Thanks.
9000% eh...Cool! that's up from another guys 8500%....LOL j/k
A yamaha banshee petcock works for approx 20 dollars.
Or,
You could plug the vac line at the petcock and install a simple on/off valve and inline filter from most any lawn mower supply.
Either works.
Have fun.

Quick Reply: LT80 idle carb issue