Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Not running King Quad 300 for $400? Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW PICS: King Quad 300 for $400? Need advice on this.

I know cars and engines pretty well, so I'm thinking about fixing this King Quad 300 that I found locally for $400. I have ridden some quads on dunes, and ridden my uncle's utility quad (selective 4x4 like this) on trails, so I have some experience.

The seller's husband passed away and she knows little to nothing about it, I haven't checked it over yet and honestly don't have much more than these two photos...but I wanted to ask other quad owner's opinions before going to see it. Some toys/tools are cheap to maintain and others are a pain if you look at them wrong..I can't tell what this would be like.

1) Are these expensive quads to maintain? (i.e. are parts that commonly fail really expensive and what are they?)

2) Is there a good chance it just needs a tuneup because it's a carbureted engine, or is there a common failure point on this model? (i.e. do axles, diffs, or camshafts break or something random?) I've read valve adjustments are needed and perhaps that's the issue...I dunno.

3) Is $400 a good price for a quad that doesn't run?

4) It has 1707 miles on the odometer, is that low?

5) How much are decent replacement tires? This needs a new set.

6) What amount of rust is OK? We live in a coastal area so when I look underneath what parts are ok to rust a little? I'll avoid frame rust I imagine?

7) What sorts of utility things can I do with this for maintaining forested land? My dad has a small tractor he uses to haul things like wood, dirt, and chips, but I imagine I could justify it with utility but I dunno how yet. Perhaps keeping trails up by running on them?

I've searched and learned that this quad has durable characteristics and is well regarded (in 2008...old forum thread), but I haven't owned a quad before...nor do I know how age affects quads like this. Sadly I don't know what year it is, but I was in a covered car port so it shouldn't be too terrible...

Old 07-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK finally got new photos from the owner. looks a bit rusty, dunno about underneath...

I have no idea if that's a problem. It will need at least one if not four new tires...don't know what a good tire costs.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Go for it, great price, I have 2 and just bought one today for 400, it ran but looked like a
tree fell on it 20 years ago. He listed it for parts only and I was glad to get it, they are the only quads I know with 15 forward and 3 reverse gears, motor/trans all in one big housing running in 3.5 quarts of oil, a real classic.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by chuckinnc
Go for it, great price, I have 2 and just bought one today for 400, it ran but looked like a
tree fell on it 20 years ago. He listed it for parts only and I was glad to get it, they are the only quads I know with 15 forward and 3 reverse gears, motor/trans all in one big housing running in 3.5 quarts of oil, a real classic.
Thanks!

She said the tires are *holding* air, so at least it will roll out of there onto a trailer.

I've got to finish working then I can go check it out.

Is rust a big deal? I'm guessing it might be hard to hurt the engine if the tranny shares the oil with it?

What's compression supposed to be? I might have a tester that will fit, though I dunno what PSI is good or what size thread i'll need.

I plan to take jumpers or a battery, check oil, turn it over, check compression, and then buy it. Might offer 300 and see what she says. She's got it listed on facebook, not sure if on craigslist yet so I may get lucky and have nobody else bite. She said nobody else is looking today...

Nervous I'll miss it or shouldn't get it, but excited that it might work out and I'll finally own a quad!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, 100 views and one person chimed in? Is that how this forum tends to go? lol. seems a lot of lookie-loos in this subforum, that's a bummer.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Give us at least a day to see your post and reply. The engine was a bit too far back on these old Suzukis which made them "front end light", not ideal for hill work.

All quads rust on the frames if they are not looked after very carefully, but it takes a long time for them to rust through, unless used on beaches or other corrosive situations (cow dung etc.)

The 300's gear cables had a reputation for stretching, so needing adjusting now and then, but after over 15 years, they have probably got as long as they are going to get.

Spares for Suzukis are eye-wateringly expensive, but aftermarket parts are available for brakes, wheel bearings, filters etc.

Those tyres are half worn, if you are not going to be traveling at speed, I would wear them out.

$400 is scrap price, you could break it for parts and get your money back.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Give us at least a day to see your post and reply. The engine was a bit too far back on these old Suzukis which made them "front end light", not ideal for hill work.

All quads rust on the frames if they are not looked after very carefully, but it takes a long time for them to rust through, unless used on beaches or other corrosive situations (cow dung etc.)

The 300's gear cables had a reputation for stretching, so needing adjusting now and then, but after over 15 years, they have probably got as long as they are going to get.

Spares for Suzukis are eye-wateringly expensive, but aftermarket parts are available for brakes, wheel bearings, filters etc.

Those tyres are half worn, if you are not going to be traveling at speed, I would wear them out.

$400 is scrap price, you could break it for parts and get your money back.
Thank you! I also don't mean to gripe really with the response time, I just looked at other threads and realized maybe there is a high ratio between views and responses. If anything I'm just surprised how many viewed and moved on, on all the recent threads.

Thanks for the advice on spares, what other things might need replacing, CV boots and shafts maybe?

I agree, $400 seems like a good deal looking at how much plastics cost, for example, or an engine block (running or not).

The lady selling it says she lost her husband and needs rent $ so I might not feel too good going lower than $400, we'll see when I can look under it. I'll run the VIN when I get a look at it to make sure it's not stolen, though.

Thank you very much for your insight and tips on everything including the rust. I don't fancy stripping it down and sanding it to give the frame fresh powder coat. Lots of work and money there...so hopefully any rust is light and not cancer.

She said it was covered so I have my fingers crossed that the dark rust is on the exposed surfaces.

I appreciate the tip on the light nose also, I've always felt nervous with climbing in a quad so I'll take it easy. mostly flat ground for me anyway.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how long its been sitting. That's probably the main reason it won't start. Battery is most likely dead and was probably left to sit with fuel in the tank so the carb and fuel lines are all gunked up. Rust is inevitable on quads. Even quads that are relatively new will have surface rust on some parts. But as Merryman said, its unlikely that it will cause any problems. Its just a cosmetic thing in most cases. It will most likely need a new battery and spark plug and draining the old fuel out of the tank and fuel lines and cleaning the carb. It might take more than that but you might get lucky and get it to run after you do all that. Its also likely the brakes might be a little sticky as well, some penetrating oil like WD40 on the pads might help there. The tires don't look that bad, if they hold air I'd just run them a bit longer while you iron out all the other problems. If you find out it has terminal engine problems, for example, then you didn't spend $300 on new tires for a quad that isn't going to run.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
I wonder how long its been sitting. That's probably the main reason it won't start. Battery is most likely dead and was probably left to sit with fuel in the tank so the carb and fuel lines are all gunked up. Rust is inevitable on quads. Even quads that are relatively new will have surface rust on some parts. But as Merryman said, its unlikely that it will cause any problems. Its just a cosmetic thing in most cases. It will most likely need a new battery and spark plug and draining the old fuel out of the tank and fuel lines and cleaning the carb. It might take more than that but you might get lucky and get it to run after you do all that. Its also likely the brakes might be a little sticky as well, some penetrating oil like WD40 on the pads might help there. The tires don't look that bad, if they hold air I'd just run them a bit longer while you iron out all the other problems. If you find out it has terminal engine problems, for example, then you didn't spend $300 on new tires for a quad that isn't going to run.
I was thinking probably a long while, even before they got it, but hard to say. She told me that she went to pick it up on her husband's go ahead and I think he tried starting it, and it just turned over. Not sure, but I am also hoping it's a gummy carb and fuel system, based on what I've seen with some small engines we have. I haven't personally gummed up a 4-stroke carb, though...

However, if it has a fuel filter that's more likely to clog, too. Either way, it's a single-piston without EFI and I think that increases the chance I can fix it easily. Thank you for your help and additional words on rust and this quad's condition. I think with some exterior work and fuel/electrical work it will be a wonderful quad.

Are cracks on the areas where tires sat flat going to cause a rupture? I'd hate to get it up to 30 in my back yard and blow out on a turn. I noticed some of that cracking in the photos I think.

Dunno if I should bargain at all though, I think she knew the tires were iffy because she told me it needed 1 or 2 new ones when she pulled it out of the trailer. Mainly though she lost her husband, has a kid and rent, and $400 seems like a solid deal.

LOL @ WD40 on brakes. That'll be fun for a few hundred feet.

I believe that will help them pop loose though. I don't mind doing a break job if it's like a full size car (needing new lines or fluid or cleaning of pistons), but if wd40 will fix it...

Old 07-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wd40 probably wouldnt be a great idea on 2nd thought. I was just thinking if they were sticking but I'm sure there are better options. A quad sitting for years could be an easy fix or take more work, you never know. It honestly doesn't look that bad. I concern myself more with how it runs and drives more than how a machine looks. You could probably put some slime in all of the tires and that would probably do for now. Many people even put slime in brand new tires just in case they get a small cut in them. I do know tire shops hate slime though. I took a couple rear tires to get mounted on a quad before and they charged me extra to clean off all the tire slime. I guess its just a big mess when you try to mount new tires.

Quick Reply: Not running King Quad 300 for $400? Need advice.