Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 king quad runs like crap when warm, please help

Old 02-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last night i went to start the quad cold, and its now messed up all the time, it will no longer start and idle... it goes straight to hard to start and missing...

Today i pulled the injector and upon visual inspection it has some crud in it, not enough to fully block it but more then what you'd like to have in there... got it cleaned up and reinstalled, no difference.... for ***** and giggles i pulled the muffler off to eliminate the possibility of a clogged pipe... not the case.. so thats out of the question... next? lol

Old 02-13-2017, 04:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Try setting the TPS now you have a clean injector, and if that doesn't work it may be best to take it to the dealer. If it doesn't fault code, the only option is substituting sensors etc, and they can put the new ones back on the shelf if they don't cure it.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I've made some headway....Maybe... lol

while attempting to tinker with it some more the quad got to the point it wouldnt even start now, So i tried a brand new plug, no difference..

Something told me to remove the tps, so upon doing this i noticed it "clunked" when i unplugged it from the harness after i removed the two screws..

The tps is "sticky" and doesn't always return to what i assume it should be and the way its made it looks like to me if it doesnt spring load to the closed position then it could be anywhere in its travel position... does anyone know if these can be tore apart and cleaned? it makes sense that i can't set the tps if its not spring loading against the throttle shaft..

Old 02-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ended up putting a tps in it and was able to set the tps on the display, went for a 30 minute ride and all seems to be good, Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. The TPS is a likely candidate for faults as it has moving parts, but substitution can end up an expensive way of fault finding. I know, Iv'e a 450 ECU on the shelf that I didn't need, the fault tuned out to be two broken wires to the temp sensor, fixed one wire, changed the sensor, and still had the fault so assumed it was the ECU.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone loves EFI...until a sensor fails :P