Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need help on 1999 Lt80 Atv

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on 1999 Lt80 Atv

i got this atv new a while ago and it ran perfect until a little bit ago
what happens is it starts up great and idles fine but once you try to give it the gas it starts to bog down and if you keep holdin down the throttle it shuts off but when i turn up the idle it runs fine but as soon as i hit the gas it bogs down i need help cause i wanna ride this summer

Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Ours had a similar problem. Remove the carb and give it a thorough cleaning. Getting the carb off is a bit of a pain. If you have the right size phillips head screwdriver, you can use that (There's a little hole in the left side that lets you get one through). An 8mm open end wrench works too but you might have to grind down the sides to make it fit...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks ill have to try that
do you know where the thing (not sure if it is a screw or not) is to adjust the fuel to air ratio?
Also Where to get some aftermarket parts?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a plugged main jet.
What aftermarket parts are you looking for?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

how would you clean that
i was lookin for anything to make it go faster

Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by lackin199
Thanks ill have to try that
do you know where the thing (not sure if it is a screw or not) is to adjust the fuel to air ratio?
Also Where to get some aftermarket parts?
There's no mixture adjustment, only an idle screw. Mixture is a function of carb jetting. Unless you modify the intake/exhaust there's generally no reason to mess with that.

The main jet is inside the carb and accessible when you remove the bowl. Best thing to do is to remove the float, all of the jets and clean everything as thoroughly as possible. Letting everything soak in carb cleaner for an hour or so will usually make things easier. You can use a piece of stiff wire to clean all of the passageways. I used a length of coax cable with the outer layers stripped off and it was a good fit for the pilot jet and the soft copper shouldn't cause any scratches.

For go-faster bits, google LT80 performance and you'll find lots of options. They're not cheap though. It seems like the best bang for the buck is probably new reeds and new sprockets. Midwestmini has those parts and more.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Rapple's carb advise is spot on. I will mention that for some reason, we have had to actually boil the carbs to remove all the gunk inside. You may want to do that.
The best go-fast option is a Trinity pipe. After that we can shave the head and do some clutch mods to get it out of the hole if need be.
If you are looking for max hp and 11k+ rpm's then you need to have motor work done.
Read a while in here. Plenty of LT80 knowledge to be had.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advise i finally got some time to work on it so i got the carb off and cleaned it out and i put it back on drained the gas put some fresh stuff in fired it up and it was still doing the same thing. Puzzled i took off the fuel regulator and saw that the fuel filter was plugged then i put back on started it and it worked just like new. thanks for all of the advise it was really helpful.
Can you just give me some good reliable websites to get parts off of.
Also i would like to get into some 80 cc races where could i look. i live in the western new york area if you know anything it would take to get into some good races it would be greatly accepted
Thanks For All of the help the whole way

Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by lackin199
Thanks for the advise i finally got some time to work on it so i got the carb off and cleaned it out and i put it back on drained the gas put some fresh stuff in fired it up and it was still doing the same thing. Puzzled i took off the fuel regulator and saw that the fuel filter was plugged then i put back on started it and it worked just like new. thanks for all of the advise it was really helpful.
Can you just give me some good reliable websites to get parts off of.
Also i would like to get into some 80 cc races where could i look. i live in the western new york area if you know anything it would take to get into some good races it would be greatly accepted
Thanks For All of the help the whole way
Same problems here with a 2000 LT80 ... even took it in to the dealer and had them clean it all out .. with very little improvement. This one won't even idle unless choked ... but now some hope ... fuel filter? Didn't even know I had one ... where's it at?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

It don't have a filter.
I think he's talking about the fibre thingie in the petcock.

Quick Reply: Need help on 1999 Lt80 Atv