Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 - Problems starting, and then stalling.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Ring gap: as long as you can see light between the ring ends, it's prolly fine. You need a file if the gap isn't big enough, yes by hand. Stick the rings in the cylinder (one at a time) to check the gap.
While at Harbor Freight, getting a feeler gauge, grab a small file.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using your finger is fine for oiling the cylinder. I also use a small syringe to place a small amount on each crank bearing (small hole in the case on either side of the connecting rod) and to oil the roller bearing at the crank.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
Ring gap: as long as you can see light between the ring ends, it's prolly fine. You need a file if the gap isn't big enough, yes by hand. Stick the rings in the cylinder (one at a time) to check the gap.
While at Harbor Freight, getting a feeler gauge, grab a small file.
If the rain holds off (I work outside) I am going to tackle this. Quick question. If I find there is no light between the ring ends, how do I file the rings? Specifically, do you just file one side, and if so, what direction?

Sorry to be a bother. I know how to work with tools, but I also want to get this right.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I file each side a little bit then re-check gap...just make sure there is no burs (especially facing outward to the cylinder wall). It's a slow process as you definitely don't want to take too much off!!!

I'd suggest getting a feeler gage...cheap money if you "want to get it right"

Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
I file each side a little bit then re-check gap...just make sure there is no burs (especially facing outward to the cylinder wall). It's a slow process as you definitely don't want to take too much off!!!

I'd suggest getting a feeler gage...cheap money if you "want to get it right"
I have a feeler gauge. However, what gauge or reading should I be getting to on this?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Manual says 0.006 - 0.014 inches

I used 0.010 on my last build...

Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

okay I just tore apart everything and the upper piston ring had no Gap I could not see any daylight through it so I filed it down a little bit and I was able to see daylight. I was also able to see some daylight underneath the second piston as well. Now I did not see your reply to this thread before I started but I got everything back together and I'm still only getting 60 PSI compression. I can verify that I am getting spark so do I just need to tear it down again and take a look at those piston rings?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by motc777
okay I just tore apart everything and the upper piston ring had no Gap I could not see any daylight through it so I filed it down a little bit and I was able to see daylight. I was also able to see some daylight underneath the second piston as well. Now I did not see your reply to this thread before I started but I got everything back together and I'm still only getting 60 PSI compression. I can verify that I am getting spark so do I just need to tear it down again and take a look at those piston rings?
okay this is the second time this evening that I have toward the support I set the rain gabs at .010 and I'm still only getting 60 pounds of compression. At this point I don't know what is causing my problem but I have a feeling that it's not the ring gaps anymore

Old 07-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

Okay I'd like to back up a bit. On the Piston the piston rings when I fit them on they kind of move back and forth on the Piston grooves. There is a little post that's there but it doesn't fit just directly right over and it kind of slides back and forth if I slide it too much it will actually go past it or on top of it. Is it supposed to do that or is it supposed to be a tight fit and not move once you slip it onto the piston?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The rings will move a lil bit when in place.
I think the pins are short on those pistons.
Ya know, rings do need to seat. If we can get it running the comp may get better.
If it's apart again, measure the bore size and the piston (at bottom) to check clearance. Hopefully it's .0025-.003

Search this Thread