Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Oil filter torque importance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter torque importance?

Hello,

I recently did an oil and filter change , but didn't have the manual with me but thought i remembered it saying tighten the filter hand tight, then do two full turns. I wasn't able to do 2 full turns, I did it hand tight then about 3/4 turn with one of those band wrenches that grips the outside of the filter.

Later I realize i was supposed to screw it until i felt the gasket touch then two full turns from there.

SO my question, how important is it for the filter to be exactly as it says in the book. Would i be better off draining the oil and redoing it to be sure? If i am better to redo it... can I drain the oil and reuse that same oil? Can i reuse the filter or should I use a new one of those?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

As many times as I've done an oil change, I couldn't give you and exact amount of torque. You'll probably get a variety of answers, but I've always done hand tight, then 3/4 more with tool. Definitely don't want to over tighten and break the o ring. If it's not tight enough, the oil leak will let you know.

No more than a filter costs, if it makes you feel better to replace it, it's a good investment. You could reuse the oil, if you can keep it clean before you put it back in. Again, I'd just put in new oil. You'll have spare oil for later if you need it.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could i just swap out the oil filter? My understanding is on some makes lots of oil will comes out and on others only about half a quart will come out so it can easily be topped off. Unsure how the kingquad is for this.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

That's what I'd do. Some will come out, so be ready. You can always tilt/lift the atv so the oil filter is uphill, for lack of a better term, from the rest of the motor. Just don't make it too uphill.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

I've always put em on hand tight, on my Arctic Cats. 2 were based on Suzuki motors, btw. Same with my Dodge hemis. More important to make sure the old o-ring came off with the old filter. Friend of mine killed his V8 SB Chevy by accidentally leaving the old o-ring on.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I know for sure the o ring came off with the oil filter as i was sure to check for that.

I also realize that the way the oil filter is on now is more than likely just fine. But me being me, I know thats all I will think about until the next oil change... so i figure if I am able to just swap out the filter... it will be well worth the $15.

I am more concerned about it being overtight than not tight enough... i recall doing hand tight then about 3/4 more, but i did it two days ago now and its a detail i don't remember for absolute sure .

If i were to lift the front end by about a foot would that be enough to keep most of the oil in?

Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Why not just tighten it a bit more? I used to fit those car filters as tight by hand as I could, but found, on quads, this wasn't tight enough, as they have a round section O ring, whereas car filters had a square section one. You are not going to break the ring by over-tightening as the ring is being crushed into the groove. The worst that can happen if you leave it is a slight weep of oil from the seal, and you can still tighten it a bit more if it does.

You will only loose the oil already in the filter if you take it off on any Suzuki I have come across.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was going to just tighten it more... but then read lots of people talking about the o ring failing if tightened too much, which would be pretty catastrophic if it happened while riding.

I guess the main thing is just for the oring to be compressed... if there is no oil leaking can i just assume it is tight enough?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's not leaking leave it alone and check again after your first ride. If it's leaking then tighten a bit more.