Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki bankrupt scare

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki bankrupt scare

I am getting ready to purchase my very first quad. I have intentions to keep it for as long as I can (hopefully 10+ years). I was deciding between the grizzly and the kingquad. I sat on both of them and really liked how the kingquad felt when sitting on it. Test rode both and liked both. I think I am going to go with a kingquad 500 with power steering since it is cheaper and seemed to fit me better. And it seems Suzuki vs Yamaha reliability is pretty close.

My only concern is Suzuki's future in North America. I know they pulled out of automobiles a few years ago and was wondering how likely it is that they would pull out ATVs too? If they did (say in the next two years) would i have issues getting service done on it for my hopeful 10 year lifespan of my kingquad?

Thanks for your input

Jules

Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I wouldn't have an issue but I don't think Suzuki is going anywhere either. The auto and motorcycle/off-road sides of the business are seperate.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if they did go bankrupt, its not like you have to take it to a Suzuki dealer to get work done. Any dealer will work on any brand. Parts availability might be the only issue but I don't think they're going to go out of business anyway.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Arctic Cat 500's up till a few years ago were essentially the same. I have an Arctic Cat 500 and 400, both Suzuki motors. Easy to find parts for, very reliable and rugged motors. I don't know why AC switched to Kymco for the small motors? They already had one of the best! Freaking bean counters.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel a little better. After doing some reading it seems like Suzuki is pretty popular for sport bikes and outboard motors so hopefully they stay going for ATVs.

I know the place I would take my ATV to for service does Suzuki and Yamaha (actually all brands for that matter) it was more the parts availability I am concerned with.

The only reason I had given it thought was I read some stuff in other threads saying Suzuki's future in ATVs seems pretty shaky.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
I think the Arctic Cat 500's up till a few years ago were essentially the same. I have an Arctic Cat 500 and 400, both Suzuki motors. Easy to find parts for, very reliable and rugged motors. I don't know why AC switched to Kymco for the small motors? They already had one of the best! Freaking bean counters.

Keep in mind that Kymco also built engines for Suzuki, not sure which years but still do for a couple models. Either way they were reliable.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Suzuki make quads in the USA and have a very good range at the moment. In fact, if they were to sort out the frame weakness in the 500/750 King Quads, they would have the best on the market, so I can't see them pulling out of ATVs, though they made a big mistake with dropping the LTA50 and LT80s. Kawasaki look a lot more shaky on ATVs, with a very limited range. Their market share in the UK is now tiny, and I would guess it will be similar in the US.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying the Suzuki and am going to be picking it up this weekend. I would like to get a 2" trailer ball for it but was unsure about the shank diameter. Does anyone know what it would be?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by julesw
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying the Suzuki and am going to be picking it up this weekend. I would like to get a 2" trailer ball for it but was unsure about the shank diameter. Does anyone know what it would be?

Shank dia has to do with the tow rating on the 2" ball. Stabdard 2" ***** have I believe a 3/4"dia shank and the heavy load 2" ball is I believe a 7/8 shank. I am pretty sure your machine will have a 3/4" hole for the ball.