Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

04 Suzuki Ozark 250 won’t rev

Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM
SuzukiOzark250 Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Suzuki Ozark 250 won’t rev

Hi everyone, hope I can get a solution to this,
I have a 2004 Suzuki Ozark 250. After it sat for 6 months to a year in my basement and then we took it out to start it. Put new gas in and it wouldn’t start. I then ordered a new petcock, and soaked the carburetor in carb cleaner. Put everything back together, choked it and started it. It started right up. The revs were high with the choke on so I turned the choke off and it shut off. After adjusting the idle and then other adjustment screw it idled good without the choke on. I then started to give it gas and it bogged down quickly and died. I kept adjusting it again and again but still won’t rev. I decided to take it for a ride with the choke on. It would start revving higher but once I got to about 10% throttle it would not rev any higher and would buck a little bit sometimes at every throttle position after 10%. I took apart the carb and cleaned it out again but still same problem. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 10-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Once is enough on pulling carbs... Don't just clean one or at one,rebuild it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SHINDY-....c100507.m3226 Make sure ALL passage ways are clear and open. Fresh gas,new plug,clean air filter,oil and filter change also.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 AM

It has fresh gas, a new plug and a new air cleaner- ordered that and put it in with everything else. Also have the oil and new oil filter which is going in soon. Ordered the rebuilt kit too. The stock main jet is still in good condition so thats why i came here. Wouldnt it still run fine with the main jet like that. The O ring on the main jet did look very distorted. Could that small leak cause it to not rev like this?

Old 10-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's not running unless you have the choke on something's either stopped up in the carb or the carb isn't getting enough fuel,valves are set too tight,etc. Check fuel flow first,then valves. Whether it's a jet,passage way,etc the carb needs to be cleaned,all passage ways blown out and replace any worn parts.Most of these are in the kit including a new pilot screw, o-ring and washer,float needle and other parts.Set the new pilot screw at 2-2.5 turns out as a basic setting and make sure the float level is set right. Can be a combination of things but I'd eliminate the carb and the easy stuff first. Has to have compression,spark,fuel supply and air and a carb that's working right.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was messing around with the ajustments last night and i got it to rev with #30 all the way in and #40 a ways turned to the left. It would idle correctly at about half choke and would idle high and full choke. It would shut off with the choke off for some reason. Is there a way to ajust this or will i just have to ride it with it half choked?
https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...6d2/carburetor https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...6d2/carburetor

Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like that small 17.5 pilot jet(idle jet) is stopped up. Hard to clean one this small as I've encountered the same thing. Wire jet cleaners just gouge these out. A new one along with a new main jet,float needle,etc come in the kit I mentioned,plus make sure all passage ways are clear.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM

Ok thanks I’ve actually used small wire ties before and that’s how I cleaned it out. They looked pretty clean but I’m hoping this rebuild kit will fix the problem

Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 AM

I put the new jets in and now it revs and you can ride it around without the choke on. It starts up without the choke too. But it after it revs it takes about 5 secs before it goes back doen to idle. It also feels like it doesnt have as much power/pickip as it used to. Could this mean my plunger/plunger assembly is bad? Or do i just need to install the new needle? Thanks

Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 AM

It also backfires when its cold. Still have to run it with choke on tongetit to running temp. Once its warmed up what i decribed above is what happens^

Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just to make sure you need to have the air box and filter on. Spray a little wd40 around the intake manifold when it revs up and see if the idle changes. If it lowers,you have an air leak.

Search this Thread