ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   LT80 Wiring Issue (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/376133-lt80-wiring-issue.html)

Buddy0465 06-11-2018 03:32 PM

LT80 Wiring Issue

Hey all! I have had my LT80 for a while (got it off a friend, some 5 years ago) and when I pulled it out yesterday to ride it, I noticed that it didn’t start. It didn’t even make a sound when I held the run button. I made sure the battery was charged and carb was clean, and still nothing. I am almost certain it’s a wiring issue. I studied diagrams, but still can’t figure it out. I currently have the rectifier unplugged, and there’s two tan colored connectors, with flat and circular terminals, that I have no idea where they go.

all help is appreciated, thank you

merryman 06-12-2018 01:08 AM

Can't help with the rectifier but posted the following on here last week:-

Have you pressed the re-set button under the rear wheelarch. Early LT80s didn't have it, but it is there to blow, like a house trip, if the starter gets overloaded. Why did it trip? Can be just one of those things, or the engine locked due to you leaving it on PRIME and fuel filling the sump & cylinder. If it isn't the overload button, I go for the test lamp method. 12v lamp connected between good earth on engine and starter live post. Press start button, solenoid clicks and lamp doesn't light, faulty solenoid or overload button, or bad earth, if lamp does light, faulty starter. You can narrow it to either solenoid or overload unit by testing with test lamp lead on wire between them.

LT80 06-12-2018 07:40 AM

Like he said, red button under the right rear fender.

Joea2489 06-28-2018 09:06 PM

Starter relay

Hello Need help for wires that connect to starter relay previous owner unplug relay and never put them back on relay have no clue how to put them back thanks

LT80 06-29-2018 07:38 AM

They plug in. I think the 2 relays should have different plugs. Or did they cut the plugs off?

Joea2489 06-29-2018 01:14 PM

He cut them off

LT80 06-29-2018 05:56 PM

New one here. Didn't see any used. I'm out of those connectors. It seems ppl like to cut them off for some stupid reason.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Ele...EAAOSwt4Ra1OCm

Joea2489 06-30-2018 10:04 PM

LT80 thank you for your help 😀 really appreciate it.

Damian Bolton 06-15-2020 05:37 PM

Starting issue

i have a lt80 i have reconnected the wire loom and when i turn the key it trys to start well being switched in off position and i dont press electric start, any help much appreciated.

BigBeeBaby 05-30-2021 03:25 AM

Suzuki LT80 Wiring Diagram Explained

Going thru the electrical process like normal operation of vehicle.

R= Battery Positive Side (12VDC) B/W= Battery Negative side(GROUND)

Key Switch Circuit

O+R B/W-B/Y = ON
O-R B/W+B/Y=OFF

Kill Switch
B/W-B/Y O+O/W = RUN
B/W+B/Y O-O/W = OFF

Side Notes

B/Y is Tied to B/R somewhere, cant tell where from diagram maybe inside cdi but it grounds spark to prevent spark when kill switch or ignition key are turned off

Also Tieing O to R at key switch is what gives power to the starter relay

To activate the starter relay when you push the start button
The ground from battery passes through brake safety switch from B/W to B to Y/G at left handle bar wiring through the start switch when activated down through W/B to Starter Relay to complete circuit as a ground to starter relay
When starter relay activates starter spins engine this spins magneto this gives AC voltage to the 2 coils on stator B/R and W/R

From Stator
W/R To Rectifier to change voltage to DC to charge battery R is DC from rectifier to battery HOT

B/R and B/W to ignition Coil and Unit (CDI) B/R is Trigger wire B/W is ground
B/R from stator should be around 50+ volts The CDI uses capacitors to provide a more consistent voltage to ignition coil which sends spark to spark plug