ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   lt230E wont start (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/377867-lt230e-wont-start.html)

zbow 01-12-2019 06:15 PM

lt230E wont start

I have recently been working on my 1988 lt230e. I was able to get it running a few weeks ago and had a blast with it. The throttle stuck slightly so i bought a new one to replace it. I put it on, but then the bike sat for about two weeks without use. When i tried to start it a last week I couldn't get it to run. Electric systems works fully and has a new battery. I tested the spark plug with a tester and it was fine. Starter turns the engine over just fine. When i turn it over, i don't get any noise from the engine/exhaust. It won't even start to catch or stumble. Literally nothing happens when i turn it over, even if i spray starting fluid right into the intake without the filter on . My first thought was the carb being clogged up. Took it off and everything looked good but i cleaned it anyway. Emptied the gas tank, put in fresh fuel, and flushed out the car several times. still nothing. Right now, I really can't think of anything, so i was wondering if any of you had some advice.

merryman 01-13-2019 03:40 AM

"I tested the spark plug with a tester and it was fine"

The ignition system is best tested by removing plug, replacing the plug lead on it and touching the metal part of the plug to the head or cylinder then spin the engine over on the starter. If you get a good spark, check compression is over 90psi.

zbow 01-24-2019 05:37 PM

Thanks! It took me a while to test it, but the spark plug was making a yellow/orange spark, so i went ahead and bought a new plug. After that, i tested its compression and was getting right at 180 psi. It was still doing the same thing (nothing). The new plug was getting a nice blue spark, but it would sometimes miss a spark, so i'm looking into getting a new ignition coil.

merryman 01-25-2019 03:14 AM

If you have a good spark and compression, the bike should fire, even if it doesn't run properly. I would be looking at that new carb for the problem.

Yoakum 02-17-2019 09:38 AM

Might be a stupid question, but was the new carb an exact duplicate? If not, just wondering if it's jetted correctly (i.e., correct sizes).
Try putting the old one back on just to see if it runs before you start buying more parts.

zbow 03-09-2019 11:31 AM

Thanks for the input, guys! The issue ended of being a bad CDI box. I was able to buy one, slapped it on and the quad started with ease. Unfortunately, as soon as it starts, it immediately revs to around 2 or 3 times faster than it's idle should be (3500-4500 rpm). Turning the idle screw and low speed mixture screw does not affect it in the slightest. I mentioned earlier that I had rebuilt the carb. When I did, I made sure that the jets were the correct size for this quad, so I don't think that is the issue. I decided to take the carb off again and look at it, and the pilot jet was completely clogged. Do you know if this would cause it to rev like this?

Yoakum 03-09-2019 11:51 AM

It shound't idle well at all with a plugged pilot. Thinking maybe your slide isn't closing all the way.

zbow 03-12-2019 09:39 AM

It turns out the slide was sitting too high due to a messed up cable adjuster. With a little tinkering to it, I was able to get the quad idling at a good speed. I rode it around yesterday and it is doing great! Thanks for the help!

Yoakum 03-12-2019 11:03 AM

:thumbsup:

tkopp 12-22-2021 03:13 PM

You tired gas in the cylinder and no fire

Originally Posted by zbow (Post 3411493)
Thanks! It took me a while to test it, but the spark plug was making a yellow/orange spark, so i went ahead and bought a new plug. After that, i tested its compression and was getting right at 180 psi. It was still doing the same thing (nothing). The new plug was getting a nice blue spark, but it would sometimes miss a spark, so i'm looking into getting a new ignition coil.

If you put gas in the cylinder and still not firing it has to be your valve