Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quadsport 230(My Opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or will it hang with the 250ex and a Blaster? I think Suzuki did a good job with this quad. My 230 is an 86 and still runs very strong. I know its comparing apples to oranges but mine feels as strong as my Wolverine in everywhere but very very bottom end. It's also very reliable, mine still cranks on the first kick and only thing wrong with it is cracked plastic that I cracked it when I first got it and chopped the throttle right before i hit a jump at 35-40. It flipped end over end 3-4 times and chunked me off. My only complaint is if you hit a big jump the suspension bottoms out easy. What was this quad designed for when it was first designed(I wasn't old enough to be into quads)? My guess is maby cross country racing/trail riding. Of course it won't still be competitive in racing but is still a good trail quad. If Suzuki upped displacement to around 300cc, made it liquid cooled, refined the shocks, redesigned the plastic, and lightened it up 30-50 pounds(although mine seems VERY light already) it would kill the 300 ex and would sell really good. This is just my wish list for a quad, although the QS400 already has them, it will probably be overpriced. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-17-2001, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Ahhh, my first beat-box, the LT230.

Yeah, it was a solid quad, and my only complaint with it, looking back, was that it sat too high, and therefore 2-wheeled easily in turns. Aside from that, after that quad, I bought a 250X, and it was barely faster than the 230.

This quad was all about sport/trail riding, not racing in any way. But if they brought it back today, with a few adjustments, I totally agree that it would give either the 250EX or 300EX a run for their $. Suzuki is supposed to come out with more sport quads...you never know, the LT230 may ruturn!

Old 10-17-2001, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

My first quad was also a LT230...It was a great machine. I esp. liked the way the reverse worked, much better than on my Warrior (but man, did I hate that kick start lever). To bad it was stolen about this time last year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2001, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An '86 Quad Sport was my first sport quad back in '89. I loved it. The red plastic made for the best looking sport in the 4 years the 230 was manufactured.

You don't need to take any weight off, it was listed at 309lbs dry which was lighter than any other sport quad including the Blaster (320lbs). My brother just picked up another '86 Quad Sport 2 months ago. Comparing it to my Mojave you can tell the Quad Sport is quite a bit narrower and taller. The frame is not as beefy and the chain adjustment system kind of sucks.

You can still get parts and accessories for your quad sport and it would be worth modifying. The Quad Sport was always bagged on for being slow but it has good power and is not much different from a 250X. With a bit of money, you could mod your Quad Sport to be every bit as good as a new machine of similar displacement.

Oh, compared to a 250EX, there is no comparison. The 250EX sucks as a sport quad (if you could call it that). I rented one in the Oregon dunes on my vacation and thought the 250EX didn't handle (pushed in the corners) didn't have any power, the suspension was too soft and lacked travel, it got very hot and the power decreased even more. The one thing I liked was it was the easiest quad I have ever wheelied. You might ask yourself why I rented a 250EX, well there wasn't much of a choice besides 100's of overweight, underpowered 250cc Polaris Trail Blazers everyone else rented.

Old 10-17-2001, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

My 3rd quad was a quadsport. I'm looking to buy a junk one and restore. I had a 10.25 to 1 wiseco piston, uni filter and dg header and silencer on mine and it really woke it up. It lagged some midrange grunt tho. The reason I sold mine was becasue I had totally destroyed it. BTW whoever said it wasn't a good slider should have rode mine. My rear shock was blown and riding on nothing but the spring and had about 5 inches of sag so it really made it hang and hell I could jump about 5 feet and the thing was so light weight the rear shock still wouldn't bottom.

Old 10-18-2001, 08:19 PM

the shock wouldn't bottom... but it was blown and you had only the spring for suspension? or are you talking about before it blew?

Old 10-21-2001, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry about the late post, but I had to put in my 2 cents. I have my 85
Qsport,and a 99 shee. My Qsport has a 273 kit,(11to1),mild racing cam,
and a kehin 2-stroke carb.Works shocks f/r. It will beat most 400ex at
the mx track. It'll even pull a hole shot on my piped and portded shee.

Old 10-23-2001, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 86 quadsport and just had it bored 40 over and a valve job done. i have a cobra exhaust on its way from dennis kirk and have totally stripped and repainted the frame and suspension. next will be new yellow plastic and a new yellow and purple seat cover. yea i changed the color of the quad from black frame and red plastic to purple amd yelow [ i like to be different ] the biggest gripe i have with the quadsport is the shifter linkage and the swing arm problems they are prone to.you say put a two stroke carb on yours, why and what size ? does anybodt know if 8 inch rims will fit. i want to get all. rims but would rather have 8 inch tires. i saw where some suzukis had 8 inch rims and they have the same bolt pattern as the quadsport so i was wondering if they would fit. i heard someplace that the hub was to big for an 8 inch rim. anyway my old quadsport hangs pretty good with 300exs and trailblazers.