Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

frozen brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

y 95 king quad has a bad habit of the brakes freezing in cold weather. If I get in the water one day and it gets cold the next day my brakes will freeze. My rear brake will fill up and freeze until I pull the housing apart and drain a cup of water out. The seals have been replaced but it still does it.Help!!!

Old 11-26-2001, 09:23 PM
The Facility

When I saw your post, I knew immediately that you must have a King Quad or Quadrunner 250. This has always been a problem for these machines and Suzuki nver gave it a fix because with the design, there is no fix. You could do all the sealing you wanted but water will still find it's way in there. About the only fix is to stay out of the water.

We have quite a few of these come in every winter where the customer thought he would just put it in super low and break loose the ice, but the end result is always a broken axle where it meets the inside U-joint instead.

I suppose, and I don't have one with me to verify that it can be done, you could tap a fitting large enough to really drain the brake drum after every water crossing. A big hassle, but I haven't heard of any permanent fixes for this problem.

If any of you have a fix, please post it because not only bullspring would benefit from it.

KNOWSALOT

Old 11-30-2001, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sir,

I use my 1992, LTF 250 4W on my trap line and this is one of the problems I encounter usually in late October when there are many water holes to cross during the day, and the nights get real cold. The front brakes freeze every night . The solution for me has been to gently tap the front rims between the four bolts every morning with a hammer. This loosens the ice and I can drive off without any problems …....... till the next morning that is.

Amicably
Eeyou ni

Old 11-30-2001, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

As the previous owner of the King,I know EXACTLY what you guys are talking about.This will help out with your problem but it wont cure it.After you have disassembled the braking components,ie drums ect,and cleaned everything up,make sure you take some compressed air or a blow dryer and dry everything,especially the linings.Upon re-assemble,take some WATER PROOF grease and put some on the rubber seals.This will help out alot,but will NOT cure your problem.There is no real fix.Suzuki has had a problem with the brakes on the King since its intro in 1986.I hear that they finally switched over to disks brakes in 2002??

Bill

Old 11-30-2001, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

Also, in conjunction with Bill's statement, there is a plug in the back of the wheel (rear braking) to drain water if necessary. So how's that, Knowsalot?
Chuck

Old 12-01-2001, 12:11 AM
The Facility

The problem knucklehead is exactly that....THE PROBLEM. We aren't talking about how to drain the water out. We are talking about how to keep large ammounts of it from compiling in the brake housing while riding. NOT how to get it out when you get home. Soooooo, How's that Gowili? [You looked pretty dumb taking a shot that time]

KNOWSALOT

Old 12-01-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

It's funny, but don't u guys ever stop fighting???

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2001, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Now, I've never looked at a King Quad, but here in my off-road world, if water can get in, make it so it can get out.....I've got drain holes drilled in my truck cab floor, bed floor, bottom of the doors, etc....don't know how good it'll work for the brakes, but it might not hurt to try....

Old 12-01-2001, 10:44 PM
The Facility

Yeah, it will drain out running with a hole in the bottom opened, but it will eat your brake pads quickly because more dust and mud can get in. Brakes for that model aren't cheap

KNOWSALOT

Old 12-02-2001, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

Knowsalot, you're kinda touchy aren't you? I didn't critize you at all! What I said was, "To add to Bill's, statement". But you went off the deep end. In cold weather areas like Michigan, those drain plugs can come in handy after you've been riding through deep mud and water in freezing weather. If you're one of the lucky people that have truely "sealed drums" (most of us don't) good for you... However, it's a good idea to remove the plugs, after the days ride and check to see if water does come out. If it doesn't, fine but if you do see water, now you know you won't be riding after that water freezes. Now you can make an intellegent decision. To either remove the drums and clean them or at worse, use a hair drier to thaw the ice before trying to move the quad. Hope this helps smooth out your hostilty...
Chuck
ps. Suzuki, isn't the only manufacturer with this problem as you suggest.

Quick Reply: frozen brakes