Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Another Dismal Dyno For the Z !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In spite of all the claims of 33 hp at the rear wheels for a stock Z, this is now the third Dyno I have seen that is under 30 hp for a stock machine. This is scientific data folks, and it's hard to argue with three dynos all done by respectable manufacturers, all coming to the same conclusion!! I'm a scientist, and I'll take this objective scientific data over all the opinions of people who just want to defend their bikes.

These results match my own personal "seat of the pants" evaluation of the bike. I think the bike handles so well, that people FEEL LIKE it is way more powerful than it is. But personally, I will always chose handling over horsepower any time, and this is the best handling bike I have ever ridden.

Old 07-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

The few 33 HP quotes from dynos I have seen are at the crank, and that is more acurate then wheel dynos. At the wheel you run into variables like tire size, pressure, weight, chain tention, chain weight, chain friction, gearing, and on, and on, and on.
The Z blows away a 400EX by a big margine and that has been rated at 28 HP for years. my guess is that the Z has a couple more then a 400EX.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
That dyno actually shows 25 at the rear wheels when fully stock.

Old 07-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Also makes you wonder how many hours are on the bikes that they are dyno'ing. All I know is that after fifteen to twenty hours, this machine really starts to rip. I am so lovin this and cannot wait to pipe and jet.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I went with the Yoshi full system jetted with lid off{152.5} and Yoshi claims I beleive between 32 or 33 hp with this mod. So that's a little more like it.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

As someone that races a car and has dynoed several cars at different dyno shootouts I personally don't put any faith in any dyno numbers other than to test parts and the difference they make. It wouldn't matter if the Z400 dynoed at 12 horsepower it's still faster than a stock 400ex and my personal experience is it's only about 3 quad lengths slower than a good running stock Raptor. After attending an ATV rodeo last weekend anyone that is making fun of the 400EX and Honda being behind evidently hasn't been attending anything other than the sand dunes. The 400EX's cleaned house in all 5 events and this included Banshees and Raptors. There was one quick Raptor in the 100yd drags on dirt but the rest were beat by the modified 400ex's. The flat track 1/2 mile race was easily won by both the 250Rs in the 2 stroke class and the 400ex's in the 4 stroke class. Oh and the lone Z400 with a very non-agressive rider who left the starting line at idle sitting at a normal riding posture ran a 5:65 in the 100 yard drags. This quad would easily run a 5:3 with an agressive rider that would have left hard and shifted it under full throttle. The best stock Raptor time was a 5:16 with most being in the 5:30 range. The lone Cannon also ran somewhere in the low 5s and it was stock.

Old 07-02-2002, 10:01 PM
WP
Pro Rider

Zooky says it right when stating that dynos should only be paid attention to when showing before and after ratings to modifications. Every dyno differs slightly with air temp, moisture, tire size and rider weight. For example, when Trinity Racing dynos they use street tires (same size for any bike), an enclosed room, and Harry always dynos it top gear. This is to keep it as consistant as possible.

Old 07-03-2002, 12:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I wonder how some of these companies come up with the numbers. I have dynoed mine many times and never gotten close to the numbers they state. But my numbers are in line with the other quads dynoed at the same time. Just use it for a parts comparison.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that dynos are best for comparisons before and after modifications, but when they start piling up and they are all under 30 hp, doesn't it starts looking suspicious???? The FMF dyno dosn't even reach 30 with the mods!! There is always a lot of hype that surrounds any new bike. This bike is great, but it isn't any "bolt of lightning".

Old 07-03-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

A wonderfull number on a piece of paper is not what the Z is all about.
Also keep in mind that most of them are out there runnin around with modded 400EX's,Raptor's, and Banshee's, and its still making a name for its self. Thats impressive to say the least.
Give it a year or so for the modded 400Z's with more power, and pleanty of aftermarket support to start runnin with the herd.
What is the Z400?
Without a dought, the most modern, fastest, best handling quad you can buy for less than $6000, and that means a lot.
Even if Yamaha and Honda counter in a couple years, The price of those machines will most likely be quite a bit more then the 400Z.
In all likelyhood, the 400Z just became the "Starting Platform" that the 400EX once was.
The sport has come forward in leaps and bounds over the past 5 years, I just hope we are not on the edge of another progress stop like the one in the late 80's caused by Lawyers and Politicians.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

<< Without a dought, the most modern, fastest, best handling quad you can buy for less than $6000, and that means a lot.
Even if Yamaha and Honda counter in a couple years, The price of those machines will most likely be quite a bit more then the 400Z.
In all likelyhood, the 400Z just became the &quot;Starting Platform&quot; that the 400EX once was.
The sport has come forward in leaps and bounds over the past 5 years, I just hope we are not on the edge of another progress stop like the one in the late 80's caused by Lawyers and Politicians.
>>

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]