Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Anyone ever restore faded platic

Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever restore faded platic

I was just wondering does anyone know how to restore faded plastic back to shinny new? I have a 2002 prairie 650 and the red plastic is really faded from sitting out in the sun. Is there anyway to buff it and make is shinny again?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure you'll ever be able to restore the original plastic if it faded from the sun. Another thought is Krylon Fusion. It's a plastic specific spray paint. I haven't used it yet but I've heard some good reports from people on this forum.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll have to think about that. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

I know a guy who had a similar issue and he cought one of those camo kits for an ATV and put it on. It consists of a series of clip on covers and some camo tape of hard to reach areas. When he was done he ahd a real tree camo ATV that looks pretty sharp.

You could also buy new pastics but that can be pretty spendy.

I do not know of any way of reversing UV damage to plastic.

SJ

Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

i run a auto body repair shop and we buff plastic all the time.will make it look close to new,except for the scratches and gouges etc.
we use full size polishers/sanders with foam pads and 3m products,but just start with something non abrasive like a polishing glaze and i gurantee you will be impressed.
just dont stay in one spot to long,kepp the buffer moving.just enough to remove the fading but not heating the plastic to much.
anyhow hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

one more thing on the scratches,most surface scratches will practically dissapear its just he deeper ones you wont be able to get out (anything that catches your fingernail)with just buffing alone anyhow.just let me know if u need more specifics (message me or ill probably never see it)

Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

I've seen an open flame from a torch bring back faded color and smooths out small scratches.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you can do it with a buffer and several stages of cutting and polishing compounds. Just like they do in auto body and detailing shops.

You have to use a cutting wheel, then a foam polishing pad and continually lighten the compound until you get to the wax stage.

It takes forever, and its a lot of work..... In the end its not really worth it since you can probably find better plastics on Ebay.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Trailblazer
Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default faded plastic

black magic or armorall.not a good idea if your gonna ride in dirt but it works if your trying to make it look pretty to sell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever restore faded platic