Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

02 sportsman 400 throttle bog!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipmcelroy
Yeahi drove fromt end up on a bu stump so its elevated. It seems like with cap off just before the fan comes on the water will boil right out filler then fan jumps on and level goes down. So i slowly ad more water etc. Did that for a good 10 minutes and it seemed like air just never stoped coming out. Finally drove it again and when you rev high it spits right out again. R these really that hard to purge! Right now im just useing straight water as to not waste coolant and to see iff this works.should i just keep going and purging it
Most of the time I would say yes,keep purging the air out of the system. But one thing you can do to remove all doubt that it's any thing other than trapped air is to do a pressure test on the radiator and cooling system,hoses,gaskets,etc. If it holds 10 psi with no drop,keep purging air.Some machines are a pain in the butt.. Plus a lagging fan(amperage load is too much) can possibly do this,kick on late. The manual has the amperage test on the fan to see if it's worn/needs to be replaced,plus possible an ecm/pdm that controls the fan on the efi models could be a problem,but most of the time the fan wouldn't kick on at all if this was the case.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Most of the time I would say yes,keep purging the air out of the system. But one thing you can do to remove all doubt that it's any thing other than trapped air is to do a pressure test on the radiator and cooling system,hoses,gaskets,etc. If it holds 10 psi with no drop,keep purging air.Some machines are a pain in the butt.. Plus a lagging fan(amperage load is too much) can possibly do this,kick on late. The manual has the amperage test on the fan to see if it's worn/needs to be replaced,plus possible an ecm/pdm that controls the fan on the efi models could be a problem,but most of the time the fan wouldn't kick on at all if this was the case.
Yeah it seems like from cold start i t takes about 10 minutes or so for the fan to finaly come on. After that probably comes on every 3 mintutes or so. So its seems to function right. I did take front end off pulled radiator out and clean completly. The bottom of the rad is scrunched up about 1/2" from where the two tabs sit in grommets. I know this was most likely done by snowplowing from prev owner. I have not seen any leaks from the rad. But not sure if it would create a restriction in the rad. Being pushed up a bit? I took a flathead screwdriver and took a lot of the dent out by tapping w a hammer down. I have new rad. Cap and thermostat on order will try that first but not to sure its going to do anyth. Considering the amt. Off air coming out top of rad. When trying to purge. Its like neverending. Suspect the head gasket. Seems like it just puting more in as it runs. I wouldnt think it would be able to hold that much in cylinder and or lines. When i did piston and gaskets i used namura kit. Should i just buy polaris head gask. If i end up goong that rout?

Last edited by Ipmcelroy; 07-21-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Like I mentioned the only real way to tell on this if purging isn't working,keeps belching out, is a pressure test on the cooling system.Should hold 10 psi with no drop in pressure.Plus never used a Namura in the 500,but used them in several 2 strokes. Seemed like fair pistons for the price.Can't vouch for the Namura head gasket though.. Also did you torque the head down exactly to manual specs? This is a tedious process to do ,but the correct way.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

Like I mentioned the only real way to tell on this if purging isn't working,keeps belching out, is a pressure test on the cooling system.Should hold 10 psi with no drop in pressure.Plus never used a Namura in the 500,but used them in several 2 strokes. Seemed like fair pistons for the price.Can't vouch for the Namura head gasket though.. Also did you torque the head down exactly to manual specs? This is a tedious process to do ,but the correct way.
Yes head was torqued to specs

Old 07-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Brain started working again.. Pull the water pump cover off and check if the impeller is turning.Impeller Nut may have backed off or in some instances I've found the impeller melted from heat and cavitation when air was trapped in the w/p cavity.May or may not be your problem,but beginning now to sound like it's possible.At least worth a try. All you'd be out is a new w/p gasket.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

Brain started working again.. Pull the water pump cover off and check if the impeller is turning.Impeller Nut may have backed off or in some instances I've found the impeller melted from heat and cavitation when air was trapped in the w/p cavity.May or may not be your problem,but beginning now to sound like it's possible.At least worth a try. All you'd be out is a new w/p gasket.
Yup checked the other day bolt tight on pump impellar and spun when cranked engine over as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Ipmcelroy
Yup checked the other day bolt tight on pump impellar and spun when cranked engine over as well.
Well shucks,thought I might have been on to something..If it keeps puking sounds like either something restricting flow or possibly in that damaged radiator or a faulty thermostat which I'm sure you've already checked out also. Just curious though as to what a pressure test would come up with. Keep us updated.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

Well shucks,thought I might have been on to something..If it keeps puking sounds like either something restricting flow or possibly in that damaged radiator or a faulty thermostat which I'm sure you've already checked out also. Just curious though as to what a pressure test would come up with. Keep us updated.
I wish it was just a water pump. Im stumped! Going to trynew thermo and cap first. Radiator prettyy rough on bottom but im not sure its leaking. May just get a new one on ebay. If not im going to pull the head. Getting sick of this sportsman! My $560.00 02 sportsman is way better!!!. No issues. 🙈

Old 07-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

I wish it was just a water pump. Im stumped! Going to trynew thermo and cap first. Radiator prettyy rough on bottom but im not sure its leaking. May just get a new one on ebay. If not im going to pull the head. Getting sick of this sportsman! My $560.00 02 sportsman is way better!!!. No issues. 🙈

Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

[QUOTE=new thermostat came installed and that was not it. Waiting still for new pressure cap. Its funny once it gets to operating temp if i hold the trottle down and have any rmp even held at 5,000rpm no coolant will squirt out top of reservoir. The seccond i simply give it a good rev up and let rpm drop thats when the coolant spews out top of bottle.would think that if the head gasket was gone it would pressurize it and spew even at high rpm held? I know pressure test! Need to find one

Quick Reply: 02 sportsman 400 throttle bog!