Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

polaris xplorer weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris xplorer weird noise

I have a 97 Polaris xplorer 500 and I have been hearing a weird noise coming from the engine/ front end. I recently rebuilt the engine ( new valve seals, head gasket, bored out cylinder and replaced piston and rings). The noise isn't incredibly loud but more of an annoyance. I only rode the ATV once or twice before I rebuilt the engine so I cant remember if it started after I rebuilt the engine or not. The noise sounds like metal constantly rubbing against plastic. The valves are all within specs and I noticed one time when I was able to get the machine to WOT in low gear, the noise stopped. I cant hear the noise when the machine idles or when I rev it in neutral so my thought is a drive train issue but I cant seem to find anything out of the ordinary. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd start with the front diff,drain and fill it and check the cv boots and joints for excessive slack/wear.Noise could be coming from the hubs also.May help to have all 4 tires off the ground to see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from if it's not engine related.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could I remove the prop shaft and drive around? Cause without the propshaft the cvs and diff will not rotate so that would narrow it down to the Hubs or engine related

Old 08-22-2017, 07:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Easier if you do jack it up as you can check for slack on the front and rear prop shaft u-joints and also see if the hubs might be kicking in while in two wheel drive or making noise as the drive shafts turn.Disconnecting things don't always help narrow down problems.You can tell a lot from having all 4 wheel off the ground.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:02 AM
Trailblazer

Were you able to figure this out? For new boots (if you need 'em) I go to AmericanCV - good range, good guys. Hope it all worked out.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

It turns out the noise was loose exhaust. The bolts that hold on the muffler at the rear of the atv were loose and it was causing the springs and metal seal to wiggle around

Old 12-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by will.puckett
It turns out the noise was loose exhaust. The bolts that hold on the muffler at the rear of the atv were loose and it was causing the springs and metal seal to wiggle around
Noises can seem that they're coming from one place but actually from another.Same thing on clutch noises radiating through the engine. If the springs are weak and the asbestos donut in the muffler are worn,I'd replace them. Glad it wasn't anything major.