Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

04 no current to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 no current to fuel pump

I have no current to the fuel pump 04 700 efi.Checked grounds and still does not run when key is turned. Starter works lights, etc.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make and model?

Old 12-06-2017, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 04 no current to fuel pum

Thanks for your reply; It is a Polaris Sportsman. I talked with a mechanic this evening and now believe the problem is most likely the fuel pump. According to the information I gathered the fuel pump must have a "closed circuit to work, thus if the pump is bad there would not be current available in the wire. I'm not a certified mechanic, just a "shade tree" novice really. I will buy a new pump and then write back to this forum with the results in a week or so.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First check that you have voltage at the fuel pump connector.If you have voltage then more than likely a pump. If you don't have power,check the 15 amp efi fuse on the fuse block and the contacts for corrosion.Fuse blocks don't have a good rep to begin with mainly because where they are located.

Attached Thumbnails 04 no current to fuel pump-fuse-panel-resize.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply. There is no voltage at the connector, I checked the fuse box, all hot and good fuses. Checked all grounds, consistent there too. I tried direct current to the pump and nothing there either.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Does sound like you need a pump but you may have other problems also. This is from the manual.With the key on,fuses showing ok,should be a minimum of 7 volts(14max) between pins A and B on the pump harness connector. If you don't have voltage, shows to check wiring,load test the battery to eliminate it,plus you can swap the two relays around as they are the same. One relay is for power and the other for efi system. Next test would be to check pins on ecu connector or with a "known" good ecu.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You for your reply; I appreciate the information. In reference to the 7v minimum the manual says to check the A and C terminals and calls to replace the pump if was no continuity, then test battery, ign switch, harness, Load Shed-Relay and ECU. So the present stage I am at is the theory that an open loop or circuit would shut off the voltage flow to the pump wire 69. I am not familiar with the relays or where they are located?

Old 12-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Jalmer
Thank You for your reply; I appreciate the information. In reference to the 7v minimum the manual says to check the A and C terminals and calls to replace the pump if was no continuity, then test battery, ign switch, harness, Load Shed-Relay and ECU. So the present stage I am at is the theory that an open loop or circuit would shut off the voltage flow to the pump wire 69. I am not familiar with the relays or where they are located?
Yes think you may possibly be right as you have the first 700efi model and has one solid state relay. I was looking at my 2005 700 efi manual and it is different than this first year model as it shows two plug in relays up from the fuse box.Sounds like get the pump and go from there. If the new pump doesn't solve the problem at least you have the correct test procedure for this model.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 04 no current to fuel pump "SOLVED"

Found a new pump,installed, and all systems GO! also, found wire shorts at the first connector caused by gummed connectors, used a tooth brush with dish soap to clean the female side then injected new dialectic grease into each one, worked like a charm.
Thanks for your support
JO