Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin no spark.

So I had bought this cheap 700 sportsman that was sitting in a guys barn for a few years. With a little tinkering it ran but not the greatest. Then one day it just quit and wouldn't fire again. Well I've finally found the time to look at it again. I'm by no means an experienced mechanic, but with the help of utube i can usually do pretty well with my projects. Anyway, the 700 twin had no spark and through searches I've discovered that the old Ducati ignition systems were junk so I decided to just do the ac to dc cdi ignition upgrade. It's a simple plug and play system, the only wire needed to splice in is the power wire. I was under the impression that this bypasses the stator and old system completely. Anyway, I put the new upgrade conversion in by the instructions and I still have no spark. I've double checked the ground. I've tested where I'm getting the power to the new cdi and it's at 11.67 volts. I have all the plugs snapped together correctly. Absolutely zero spark. I also have new plugs. What am I missing? Could a kill switch or something be messing with me now? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tinman07; 03-02-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Accidentally pushed send before I finished
Old 03-03-2018, 05:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

RM Stator kit? If so it uses the Ducati lighting coil for ignition source and I've had a couple of these even bite the dust.Then you're back to square one again. IF you have the Kokusan 2202602 kit,all Ducati components are removed. Stator brown wire grounding issue was the most common problem on these that people had in the kits and also finding the power wire(red/white) hidden in the harness.You can also pull the black kill wire from the cdi and see if you have spark. If you do then the problem could be in the ignition switch or the left control switch or their wiring.