Rancher 420 won't start, solenoid just clicks - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Rancher 420 won't start, solenoid just clicks

Old 10-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rancher 420 won't start, solenoid just clicks

Hi,

I bought a used Honda Rancher 4X4 420 2013 ES this summer. I ran it a few time around the yard and all worked fine. It has about 905 miles and 203 hours on it.

I final got a chance to ride it in Mid October. Rode fine until the 4th ride. After about 200 yards it just stopped. The Engine and Temp light came on, engine died. I turned it off and then back on, shifted into N and the engine started. About 2 minutes later it died again. Now the only thing that happens is that the Solenoid just clicks.

I bought a new battery since it had a used one. That made no difference.

Volts 12.5V

Under Load with the solenoid clicking Volts 6V

Display: Has a N for Neutral and after I try to start it and the solenoid clicks the Gear Display shows a -.

Turn the key on and off and it shows N again.

The gears will change but stop at 3rd gear, won't go higher but goes back down to N.

I thought my next step would be to remove the PCM/EMC and test it as the Shop Manual says.

Any better ideas?

Thank you for any help.