Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

For the exact same model car, is a manual transmission better for towing or an automatic transmission ? and why ?

Old 08-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the exact same model car, is a manual transmission better for towing or an automatic transmission ? and why ?

For the exact same model car, is a manual transmission better for towing or an automatic transmission ? and why ?

What is the advantages and disadvantages of manual and automatic as far as towing is concerned ?

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For the exact same model car, is a manual transmission better for towing or an automatic transmission ? and why ?

I think this will vary by the make and model of car.

It used to be pretty basic: A manual tranny would have less power loss as compared to an automatic so the manual would provide a little more towing power. Nowadays, many automatic transmissions, especially ones in HD trucks, are giving better performance than a comparable straight shift.

I've driven straight shift all my life and only with my last truck purchase did I go with an automatic (Allison 5-speed) transmission. All the test reports and comparisons that I read showed that the automatic gave better performance and economy than the straight shift. After a couple of years of towing with it, I think the tests were right. Most likely the fact that the Allison is a HD trasmission that is designed for towing plays a big part in this, but this is the best transmission for hauling heavy loads that I've ever owned.

If you are comparing a lighter duty vehicle, I think I'd still lean towards the straight shift. Aside from having better control of your gearing and engine speed, having a straight shift gives you the ability to downshift to help with braking if needed.

In choosing a manual or automatic, it's more important that your engine/transmission combination is rated to pull the load with a decent safety margin built in.

Jaybee

Old 08-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

One of the things that go towards an automatic in a towing situation is the torque converter. With a manual tranny you are going to have to worry about the clutch. This is especially more critical in smaller vehicles. I've heard a lot of smaller pickups (light Toyotas) have problems retrieving a boat on a boat launch. They are usually really steep and you can eat a clutch up trying to pull up one. With an automatic you can get the motor speed up, supplying full power, without worrying about a clutch burning up.

The automatics in todays trucks are complete animals. It used to be for heavy duty towing only manuals had the strength. Now you are seeing autos even in the heaviest of trucks. They also help to reduce driver fatigue.

They also can get by with less gears as well, I beleive do to the torque converters and the ability of an automatic tranny to combine multiple gears to form another gear. I believe most 5+ speed autos actually do this. A locking torque converter also gets rid of the slip through the torque converter. So the input and output shafts are running the same RPM.

The autos can also do some slick stuff. They can be set up to run in a manual, or semi manual mode (ala Porsche Tiptronic). The auto in my little Daewoo can be put in "1" and will still shift to keep the motor from over-revving. Each shift is made precisely at 5500 RPM (6500 RPM redline.)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

The manual could eat up the clutch, I agree.

Now let us focus on the automatic transmission.

Lets take the Automatic Cavalier trying to pull 2,000 lbs trailer, there is no clutch so no problem loosing a clutch.

Now this is the question, what could go wrong with the automatic transmission on the Cavalier. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:54 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Why would you do that to that car? It's not built for it. Pulling the max weight would probably destroy the tranny in that car if done a lot.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-31-2004, 05:48 AM
Trailblazer

Technically speaking, how does an automatic transmission gets destroyed when it is towing a 2,500 lbs trailer.
I mean what process does it go thru until it gets destroyed.
What is the duration of every process.
For example, let us take a strong rope and connect the car with a big stand still tree, then start pressing the accelarotor with your feet, how does the transmission get destroyed.

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:34 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: ASDASD
Technically speaking, how does an automatic transmission gets destroyed when it is towing a 2,500 lbs trailer.
I mean what process does it go thru until it gets destroyed.
What is the duration of every process.
For example, let us take a strong rope and connect the car with a big stand still tree, then start pressing the accelarotor with your feet, how does the transmission get destroyed.

Thanks.
It is called heat. A auto trans is basically slipping all the time, especially when towing. That is why all towing packages come with a tranny cooler and bigger radiator. To combat heat. The weaker the Tranny, the quicker the heat destroy's it. Car's in general were not designed to carry much more than people, let alone tow a trailer.As for a definite time line of destruction I cant narrow that down for you. I will tell you that I service the tranny on my pickup every 2 years, about every 10,000 to 12,000 miles just to extend it's life expectancy.After all with out it I can't go riding.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Trailblazer

How about instead of going at speed of 60 miles an hour, I will reduce say to 40 miles an hour. That way the transmission will heat less, so no problem.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

ASDASD That will definitely help. I for one have alway's put a tranny cooler on every vehicle that I towed with unless it came with one. The next thing to worry about is brakes. Can you stop soon enough and safely. And how much continued braking can you do before the brakes heat up and fade away. Not trying to tell you what to do or not do, just want you to know what the danger's are. Good luck!!!

Old 09-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASDASD,
You can maintain a higher speed if you install a good quality aftermarket tranny cooler, check in front of your radiator and see how big a one you can fit, the bigger,the better. At around 50 bucks, they are a cheap insurance policy against tranny overheat. I put one on an S10 I used to tow big trailers and a boat with, and never had a bit of trans problems, and I towed 3 quads,gear and 3 adults to Michigan and Oklahoma at 75 mph or better !!! Nowadays, just for safety,I have a full size pickup for towing, makes a big difference going down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For the exact same model car, is a manual transmission better for towing or an automatic transmission ? and why ?