Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight

Originally posted by: EasterEgg
I've never owned or worked on a lot of diesels so I could be wrong here but...I thought in a diesel engine you needed to add a "jake brake" exhaust valve to increase the back pressure for good engine braking.I'm was also going by the comment of a contractor friend that went from a gas to a diesel and complained of needing to replace brake pads more often.Sorry for the assumption[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
The exhaust brake is because deisel trucks can tow MUCH heavier loads than gassers do and if you can get it moving you need to get it stopped.. The backpressure on any vehicle wont be enough do get some things stopped... But if diesel wasnt around and the gas motor was the only way then there would be some sort of technology much like the exhaust brake around...

And maybe your freind liked to use the brakes.. lol Driving style will do that. Weve got 57000 on our 2002 and are on the same pads and rotors..

Old 08-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

With my Duramax in the tow/haul mode, you tap the brakes coming down the pass it does the downshift thing. Love it, sounds like a big rig [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

bbddddddddddddddd!

Old 08-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

changing the gear ratio, will in fact change your towing capacity, it will definetly help, your going to run it hard, but take your time and you will probably do fine

Old 08-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: LittleBill
changing the gear ratio, will in fact change your towing capacity, it will definetly help, your going to run it hard, but take your time and you will probably do fine
This is ONLY true, if the manufacturer issues a different tow capacity based on the rear gears. Otherwise, it will only make you tow the limit more capably, with an offset in fuel economy. Rarely does the rear gear ratio actually have an effect on the capacity of a vehicle to tow. There's more than getting power to the ground. It's the brakes, the frame, the tranny. And just because you change those, doesn't mean it will change what you can safely tow.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Before you change anything in the rear end, contact the guys like Gear venders or some of the other aftermarket dealers that do overdrive/under drive units to get their read on the issue. They may have different options. Looking at the suspension in the rear... your sag can be helped by helper springs, or even air bags. (both normally a bolt on)

The bags are rated pretty high...and may be worth a look. (www.airride.com) Upgrades to the braking system may also be in order, but the trailer will need it's own braking capability no matter what. You can consider upgrading the brakes, with several aftermarket dealers out there to assist.

If your truck sticker indicated it can pull up to 8000+ and you intend to remain in the 6K area, you should not have any problems.. Just change the gear oil in the rear end regularly. Dodge recommends every 15000 when operating in this environment.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 PM
TRV
Trailblazer

Same situation! I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4WD crew cab with tow package, 4.7 V-8 and 3.92 ratio gears. It is rated to tow a max of 5750 pounds. I tow a Coleman popup and fully loaded for a Colorado trip it does fine but that is with only 2500 pounds max total weight. I too have looked at a Toybox camper but the only thing that will work weight wise is a 16 footer. Starcraft is making a popup with a front loading station on the tongue for an ATV now so might want to look there. I would not waste the money modifying the existing truck. I tossed it around too but will get a Ford crew cab diesel with 8 foot bed next time! If you go overweight on the towing capacity your asking for trouble. I feel most of the listed towing capacities on the 1/2 ton and lighter trucks are actually too high given the suspension and brakes etc. the trucks have. I once towed a heavy tandem trailer with 3 quads, 3 guys, and all of our gear to Kentucky and figured it was about 5300 pounds and it pulled it just fine but was very scary to stop all that weight!

Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have airbags on my F-150.. They add 3000lbs capacity. I don't tow a toy hauler or anything like that. I have a rack that goes in my hitch that carrys the Z400. 400lbs hanging waaaaay past the rear wheels and the Dale in the bed. The tail was wagging the dog. The rear end was sagging quite a bit. The airbags fixed it completely.. Good thing is you can run them w/ or w/o the air in them.. I paid 325 installed...

Old 08-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: Sandgod
I have airbags on my F-150.. They add 3000lbs capacity.
Did Ford certify this additional weight? I didn't think so. The airbags keep you from getting sag from the weight. They don't actually increase your load capacity, just because the salesman and the box said so. Will the bag maker indemnify you in any lawsuits if someone claims you overloaded your vehicle? Didn't think so either.

People need to remember, unless someone is willing to sign a new GVWR, GCWR, etc. then you can't increase capacity. You can do the limit more capably, in certain areas. But that's it.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Over 3000 miles and no issues.. If you have ever been to Glamis the road to the north is a paved version of a roller coaster. Tremendous stress put on the chassis at the bottom of each little roller coaster type hill. We have those same roller coaster hills in Utah on the way to the dunes here also. Many many trips and still not even a hint of a problem.. My friend had his airbags for ten years on an old 88 1/2 ton Chev w/ a big heavy camper in the bed and towing an atv trailer. He never had a problem either... I bought my airbags from Napa Auto parts.. I would think a world class company like Napa wouldn't sell a product that could kill you. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, anything can happen in life, there is no guarantees. Anyway,,,,, this is my experience w/ airbags...

Old 08-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Air Cooled Rider

I'm not bagging on air bad (forgive the bad pun). What I'm saying is they don't increase the LEGAL amount of weight that you haul/tow. Yes, they do work wonders for trucks. Lighter weight main springs for a better ride, but still having the ability to carry a LOT of weight. Gotta be a reason why it seams like all the new big rigs are running them.

Quick Reply: How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight