Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 05:59 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight

Just because air bags, helper springs or the likes, say they are rated for a certain amount of weight, doesn't mean by throwing them on your truck that it increases the weight limits of that vehicle too. It won't the GVW, is just that, the weight of the bags doesn't transfer to the truck too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] There are other factors that have already been mentioned that come into play too. Napa and all the other places are legally selling the product. It's you, the consumer who is utilizing it in the wrong fashion. Therefore, they are not liable, you are. If, you are in a wreck and found to be over loaded. which might be the case, then, your insurance company might turn on you and fight to not cover you. I have a friend who has a 1/2 ton chevy 4x4, he put airbags on it to lift the rear end from his heavy trailer. After a couple of months, guess what happen? He bent the frame, I'll have to take a picture and post it. Now, who do you think is at fault here, GMC, air bag company, parts store where the air bags were purchase from, or the Owner who had it installed?
Don't ask a truck that's not built for the job, to do it. It's not worth your life or your fellow travelers life. Enough preaching, Ride Safely

Old 08-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

My recommendations were given because the person indicated that the trailer would be around 6000#, and his tow rating GVWR was over 8000. All well within the manufacturer's guidelines... Use of airbags or helper springs CAN safely return the ride height to factory specifications due to the approximate tongue weight of 1000#, which the truck would still be within the half ton rating, although at admittedly at the maximum range... however I agree that it is still incumbant upon the consumer to keep things well within the manufacturer's specs for his vehicle's GVWR.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Quad Patrol

Dragginbutt, I wasn't attacking your post. Sorry, if it seemed that way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Lt. Dan

Old 08-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

There is a lot more discussion here than I anticipated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] This is good.

As I stated in the begining I am NOT towing over the max listed for my truck with the options I have but I will be within a couple hundred pounds. Towing approx. 6200-6300 lbs Max=6400

In the owners manual GM STATES that if my truck had ONLY a larger engine and lower gear ratio that rating would increase a ton to 8400 lbs. They say NOTHING about frame, brakes, suspension ect...

So I'm assuming that these components are capable of the highest rating since the manufacturer doesn't list optional ones. IMO

Old 08-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Thats cool... and if you decide to go with an underdrive unit, you can still keep your current rear gear ratio so you don't sacrifice gas milage when you are not towing anything... Not much you can do about the engine size though without spending serious cash... at that point a larger rated truck may just be cheaper...

Old 08-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Easter, you are probably in an OK position then. You will stress your motor more (and maybe the tranny), with towing at your max. But everything else is probably tip top since you are on a "low power" motor (compared to what is available in the truck.)

SOmeone noted air bags before and I would say try a set (I have no idea how much cash they are) and they should help with any sag from the load.

A Gear Vendor would also be a good idea. They run about $3,000 though, plus installation. It's much like adding a 2-speed automatic on the output shaft of you tranny (like a transfer case would sit.) They also will work with your ECU. It will basically double your gears. The truck will shift like this 1-1over-2-2over-etc. etc. This will also give you better gas mileage when you get to your standard OD, tehn get ANOTHER OD on top of that. You can also disengage the GV unit (needed if you have 4WD). You end up with an 8-speed automatic. You will stay in your powerband more and each shift the motor will drop less RPMs.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Quad Patrol

Easter, If you can increase your tow weight by improving different components from the manufacturer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Go for it. Your manual is your proff of the vehicles capabilities[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Apparently, your truck is in the stock lower end of its potential and has plenty of room for growth[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As far as airbags, you can get them as low as around $250 or so. You can get more expensive by having an on board air compressor for airing up your air bags while on the go, fill you tires after airring down at Pismo, or after fixing a flat. It's an on baord air compressor. Just need a long coil hose and fittings[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I know someone who has an on board AC in his RAM 2500. He just hooks up 4 of those yellow coil hoses and lets it run. Though he was popping fuses/relays last time we were all at Pismo.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Quad Patrol

Sounds like he needs to rewire it. Pulling to much power from what he wired it to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a jake brake just uses the compresion off the exaust to pulsate your brakes , kind of like anti-lock brakes , thatway the brakes don't over heat as easy .

Quick Reply: How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight