Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight

There has been a lot of discussion in the recent past about the ability of a half ton towing capacity.

If one was so inclined could he safely add to his capacity or make it easier for the vehicle to tow the max by doing the following mods to the example truck.

Truck= 02 GMC Sierra 4x2 4.8 auto with tow/haul mode, factory trailer package and 3:73 gears

Engine mods= exhaust, intake and chip

Diff mods= 4:10 gears

Brakes= vented performance rotors and pads

If this truck had these mods how comfortable would one feel towing at the factory rated limit of 6400 lbs? Towing in NY and PA is hilly but most of the trips would be short 3 hrs or less with 2 long 10+ hrs trips per year.
Installing all these mods myself I estimate the cost to be about $2500. I looked at trading in for a 3/4 ton but the stealers say my truck is only worth $11k with 18k miles and perfect condition.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

With the gears you'll be able to accelerate and climb better, but your mileage will tank.

You can look to add power to help out pulling, but you can't increase the capacities. The entire vehicle is working together. Usually, the engine isn't the limiter in what you can tow. It's the rest of the vehicle. The stiffness of the chassis. Look at a 1/2 ton frame, then a 3/4 or one ton...then look at like a class 4 or 5 truck, then a big rig. There's a BIG difference. Same with breaks. And I think those vented brakes aren't for towing, but I could be wrong. Same with the ceramic pads.

Either try to sell you truck privately for more money, or take the hit from the dealer. Mods on trucks are like mods on quads, you don't get your money from them. 3/4 ton and above diesels for for about $45K out here in CA. Not sure about back east. And the used market is nothing. People are holding on to them. Gassers can be had cheap.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with the whole truck especially the frame being larger on a 3/4 or 1 ton but how can there be such a large difference in towing capacities based on engine size and gearing for the same 1/2 ton truck? These are the specs from the manual of the 1500 Sierra.

4.3 V6 3.42 5000 max trailer 9500 GCWR
4.8 V8 3.42 6400 max trailer 11000 GCWR = my truck
4.8 V8 3.73 7400 max trailer 12000 GCWR
5.3 V8 3.42 7400 max trailer 12000 GCWR
5.3 V8 3.73 8400 max trailer 13000 GCWR

As you can see there is a big difference (3400 lbs) between the 2 extremes. I'm assuming GM doesn't have different frames for each combination.

I made a mistake before, my truck has the 3.42 ratio not the 3.73. Based on these factory specs by increasing the hp & torque and lowering the ratio to 3:73 my truck could handle the 8400 max trailer. Now I'm NOT looking to tow that much only about 6500.

Trailer = 4800 dry
2 atv's = 1200 wet
gear = 500

The trailer will be towed without water to save weight and the quads won't be fueled or any fuel carried until we get as close as posible.

Is there anyone that has a 1/2 ton GM truck capable of the higher weights and have any experience pulling that much weight?

Old 08-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I used to use a F150 w/ 5.4 litre and grossly over taxed it. Pulled a 22' 5th wheel (about 5000#) with my 4 wheeler trailer hooked behind that (about 3000#) and pulled it up over these high passes we have out here. Did it that way for years. It was a lot of work for the truck, but it would do it. I changed the tranny fluid EVERY year with the flush-out system that some quicky-lube places have.

I got to wanting more power and so I put a Powerdyne belt driven 6 lb supercharger on it. Really pulled the hills then baby. But, all the extra strain started setting "check engine" lights off etc. I regretfully sold it and got a diesel.

The moral of my story is that I think you are well within your limits if you can stand the power level you are at.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah and to agree with Black and Red you can't give gas trucks away around here, the V10 and Chevy big block pigs hold no value. All people want are diesels cause they work so dang good.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks !!!

I think I'm going to give it a try atleast once if it's too much then so be it.

Yes diesel is the way to go but the lack of engine braking concerns me and the bodies rust away around here before that diesels even broke in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: EasterEgg
Thanks !!!I think I'm going to give it a try atleast once if it's too much then so be it.Yes diesel is the way to go but the lack of engine braking concerns me and the bodies rust away around here before that diesels even broke in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Lack of engine braking? Have you driven one of the new diesels? Ive never driven a gasser but i can tell you that the engine braking is awsome.. I barely use the brakes on our 02 F250. I just downshift.

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EasterEgg,
I have a similar truck but with a 5.3. It is a 4x2 and the biggest issue I found when towing my boat (5000lbs) was the weak rear springs on the chevy 4x2's. The back end would sag and bounce around like crazy running over uneven road. I installed a set of air bags between the rear leaf and frame and it made a huge difference in firming up the back end.

For what its worth my next truck will definately be a 3/4 ton.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

New or old diesel they all have engine braking. It comes from the compression of the motor (diesels are up around 16:1 at least).

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider

I've never owned or worked on a lot of diesels so I could be wrong here but...

I thought in a diesel engine you needed to add a "jake brake" exhaust valve to increase the back pressure for good engine braking.

I'm was also going by the comment of a contractor friend that went from a gas to a diesel and complained of needing to replace brake pads more often.

Sorry for the assumption[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: How to make your 1/2 ton tow more weight