Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy Haulers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Toyhauler do you have?

Well after a year of looking at every toyhauler we could find we finally upgraded from our 26' Weekend Warrior tow type toyhauler to a 37' Dune Chaser fifth wheel type toyhauler. We have had lots of fun looking at everything, but the more we looked the more we realized there was even more out there to look at. It is amazing how many different companies are in the toyhauler business these days. It would have been faster a year ago if I would have had a thread to look at with every type of toyhauler there is, with a link to the manufacturers web page. So lets do that, ... if everyone will list the toyhauler they have, what they like, or don't like about it, and give a link to the manufacturers web site it may help someone out.

I'll start, ... we have the 37' Dune Chaser I mentioned above. It had lots of features we wanted, but it was the leather sofas I liked the best; very comfy, and very easy to clean. Here's the link: Dune Chaser

Outer Limit

Old 09-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

OK...OuterLimit...But we need to know what you use to haul that beast around with..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] We have a 25' Tahoe Transport, and we are currently looking to upgrade to a fifth-wheel type trailer. The dealer says my F-250 V-10 will handle up to a 37' fifth-wheel, but I don't trust dealers too much. They don't have to replace the tranny if something blows up...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Tahoe makes a good trailer, and its comfortable, but kinda put together with cheap material. It gets the job done, rides smoothly, and has plenty of headroom for me (6'4"), but already broke two pipes coming from the shower(water pump can't be left on when not being used), and trimming from cabinets and weatherstripping comes apart easily. Overall, its a great trailer, but my wife expects to have a Taj Majal on wheels....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Toy Haulers

RacerBob:
He's pulling the Chaser with a " '05 GMC 3500 4x4 Crew Cab Dually" as in his sig.

What dealer is saying that? The trailer dealer? The Ford Dealer (not in his right mind!).

<Weight **** Time> You max. GCWR is 20,000lbs. You'll need to watch out for your GVWR and rear GAWR on the 250 with a fifth wheel. My friend pulls a 38' Sierra fifth wheel toy box with a 350SRW CC LB V-10. He's 2000lbs over capacity. The trailer GVWR is over 16,000lbs. He pulls Cuesta Grade at about 25-35MPH in second gear. I don't think you could pull that trailer legally. I'd make any sale conditional on weights making it as the dealer is saying it will make it. You should also keep in mind that it's not a good idea to exceed 80% of any of your rating for longevity reasons.

Also, since you are in CA you need to keep these things in mind:

It's illegal to exceed any weight limit set by the manufacturer.

Towing Limits by Driver's Lic. type:

Class C:
[*]Any single trailer with a maximum GVWR of 10,000lbs.
(To tow a trailer weighing more than 6,000lbs requires the tow vehicle exceed 4,000lbs.)

Class C with Recreational Trailer Endorsement ("Fifth Wheel Endorsement"):
[*]Same as a Class C.[*]Tow any Recreational Fifth Wheel Trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs to 15,000. For Non-Commercial Purposes only

Class A Non-Commercial License:
[*]Same as a Class C.[*]Tow any trailer coach 10,001lbs or more. For Non-Commercial Purposes only[*]Tow any Recreation Trailer coach 15,001lbs or more. For Non-Commercial Purposes only
It isn't noted but obviously you should be able to pull a 5th wheel 10,001lb-15,000lb.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

Racer Rob,
You can see my truck and hauler by clicking on the camera under my icon; I updated my photos last night. And if your wife wants a Taj Majal, the Dune Chaser is it. The accomodations are the best I have ever seen in a toy hauler.

BlackandRedWarrior is right about watching the weight on toyhaulers. I have not weighed ours on a scale, but given its advertised unloaded weight, and adding in for water and fuel we had on board for the trip home yesterday, I would guestimate I had about 13,000 lbs in tow. I had to climb the Black Ridge on I-15 in southwest Utah to get back home, and that grade climbs 4,000 ft in altitude, with most of that increase in altitude occuring over a 5 mile stretch of highway. I don't know how Black Ridge would compare to Cuesta Grade, but my truck pulled Black Ridge at 55 mph. But even the big Duramax was working its a$$ off to pull that load; the temp gauge climbed all the way to 245 degrees (the gauge goes in the red at 260 degrees). The fact that it was 104 degrees outside at the time did not help matters any though.

There is NO way I would tow any of these big fifth wheel toyhaulers with anything less than a one ton diesel, and preferably a dually. And some of the biggest fifth wheels, such as the 41 ft KZ toyhaulers with triple slides that weigh 19,000 lbs fully loaded, should not be towed with anything short of an F-550 (or equivalent).

Old 09-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Toy Haulers

Cuesta Grade is a 6% grade going northbound on US-101 just north of San Luis Obispo, CA (thought you might be familiar with it.) It's probably 2-3 miles long. It's a good one, but I think the Grapevine (I-5 south of Bakersfield and north of LA for those who don't know) is longer, if not steeper too.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

I think that the Black Ridge in southwest UT is a 6% grade as well.

A good rule of thumb for towing is that if the trailer has one axle you can tow it with a half ton truck; if the trailer has two axles you can tow it with a 3/4 ton truck; and if the trailer has three axles you need a one ton truck. Some triple axle trailers may need more than just a one ton truck, but that rule is a good generalization that you can use while you are browsing the RV dealers lot. If you pulled in with a 3/4 ton truck then only look at the dual axle trailers.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Toy Haulers

THE LITTLE GUY!!!

MY wife and I have a 99 Weekend Warrior 18' front kitchen that we bought used about a year ago. We towed it home empty with no weight distrabution hitch with the Dakota and no extended mirrors. That was the only time that happened! The next day I went out and got a hitch with sway control, extended mirrors, extra tranny cooler and already had other mods to help towing like 4.10's with an Auburn LSD, add-a-leafs, exhaust, K&N filter and a lead foot! The trailer tows great behind the Dakota with the 5.2L V8 but it will never be a diesel or even keep up with them on hills like our Cuesta Grade.

The trailer is great but it came with a axle under suspension lift, on a short trailer, with a rear bunk. So some day I will take the axles off and reverse the shakles all back to stock height. The trailer looks like it is sitting on my bumper not a drop hitch. It came with a set of CAR tires that would fold over and rub the side walls when turning. The spare tire popped when parked from sun exposure. The awning and screen door came with duct tape repairs. It has a few holes inside like the one on the bathroom door. You can not have the cabinet over the sink open and then open the bathroom door becasuse the corner will put a nice hole in the door. It is the little things that made ours a great deal and perfect starting point for a young couple with no kids, yet. We see a dually in our future...

Pix -> http://www.geocities.com/ridemoreworkless/Quads.html

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Toy Haulers

Perpetrate: Have you had a chance to weigh your truck/trailer yet? Seems like you would be very close. I knew someone with a Durango and a 18' Coyote and he was over with just him, a 400ex and dry.

What a lucky dog.....

Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Toy Haulers

Originally posted by: RacerRob
OK...OuterLimit...But we need to know what you use to haul that beast around with..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] We have a 25' Tahoe Transport, and we are currently looking to upgrade to a fifth-wheel type trailer. The dealer says my F-250 V-10 will handle up to a 37' fifth-wheel, but I don't trust dealers too much. They don't have to replace the tranny if something blows up...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Tahoe makes a good trailer, and its comfortable, but kinda put together with cheap material. It gets the job done, rides smoothly, and has plenty of headroom for me (6'4"), but already broke two pipes coming from the shower(water pump can't be left on when not being used), and trimming from cabinets and weatherstripping comes apart easily. Overall, its a great trailer, but my wife expects to have a Taj Majal on wheels....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I have a 00 Transport, it is a good unit. I havent had any problems with the exception of my stereo going out twice. As far as new rigs if I end up getting a Duramax (thinking about it) I will stay with the Tahoe or Wanderer. Of all the toy haulers I have looked at Thor has the best bang for the buck. I like the Vortec and the Furey units in the 38", I need to get something I can fit 5 full size bikes in. I have even thought of getting a 33' Wanderer and building a tailgate set up for one bike that is easily removed.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Haulers

Four weeks ago I replaced my old reliable 21' tahoe with the 30' vortex. We like the additional room and increased comfort of the vortex but it did not come without a price. We have had it back to the dealer once for a new bed lift motor and its at the dealer now because the bathtub cracked due to incorrect mounting of the outside speaker. Our dealer (Venture-out RV in Bakersfield) has provided us with good customer service through all of it. I too will stick with the Thor product for their quality and bang-for-the-buck but they need to look at their assembly practices.

For those who are not sure about their truck's tow capacity, your owners manual has all the information you need. If you follow the directions and put the correct info together, i.e. GVWR, Grar ratio, engine size, etc, which is found on the trucks serial plate, you can find your truck's max tow capacity. Do this before looking for a trailer and keep your salesman in line.
Also, in response to the dangers of towing over capacity, asside from being illegal, if you have an accident while towing a trailer that exceeds your truck's max tow capacity, your insurence company can deny the claim. Just an FYI.

Quick Reply: Toy Haulers