ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/)
-   -   Thumbs down on Chevy (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/190590-thumbs-down-chevy.html)

crazypainter 02-06-2005 10:05 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I'm sure this will agitate some people but I need to vent. I have an 03 silverado 2500hd Extended cab short box 4x4 automatic. This truck has the worst reliability of any truck I've owned! I bought it new, oil is changed every 3000mi. tires rotated every 6000. At 30000had the tranny flushed. maintenence isn't a problem. I'll tell what is- At 10000miles the front end went out, the whole front differencial locked up, shortly after it went in for the air bags cause the light came on in the dash, some module had to be replaced, next the steering shaft had to be replaced followed by the power sterring pump and then back for air bags again.Next the serpentine belt started squealing, bolts were missing from the transmission mounts causing clunking, Power steering doesn't want to turn on cold mornings now. Tranny very slow to go in the cold wont go into OD but its not exactly in 3rd either kind of like the torque converter isn't locking up. Sometimes when I come to a stop and go to take off it acts like its in neutral I let off thre gas and then it goes. This truck is a LEMON, anybody else had this many problems with theirs? And I'm 46 not some kid that hot rods it.

TeamGreen800 02-06-2005 10:31 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

anybody else had this many problems with theirs?

Nope. Mine's never been back to the dealer since the day I bought it. I don't hot rod either, but I do tow up to 17K with it on every weekend that I can. I think its that Avalanche front end that is doing you in. Maybe if you would have gotten the prettier sister ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SukiZ400rdr 02-06-2005 10:59 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I had a 2000 Silverado 1500, and I got rid of it cuz I was afraid of all the problems I have
been hearing people have with the Silverados. Plus I had a hefty payment, too.
I now have a 96 2500HD with 113000 miles on it. Was a one owner truck and I feel more
confident driving and pulling with this truck than I did with my Silverado which only had 57000
on it when I got rid of it. Plus, the 5.7 engine pulls better.
Anyways, you dont agitate me, I know where you are coming from. My Uncle was a die hard
Ford man all his life, bought a 2002 Silverado 2500, and he is happy for the most part, except
the engine tic tic tic.... These trucks came out in 1999, and they ticked then. Guess what, the
05's tick just as bad. You would think GM could have fixed this problem by now.
I am a Chevy man, always will be. But as far as I am concerned, Chevy quit building trucks in 1999,
when they introduced the Silverado.

My 2 cents.

crazypainter 02-06-2005 11:41 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I don't have any complaints about power with the 6.0 litre, It tows what I've got easy enoughits the confidence level thats in the basement. Sure wish my Dodge diesel wouldn't have gotten stolen[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

cornfarmer 02-09-2005 03:12 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

got a 2002 2500HD........Duramax, Allison..........72,000mi..........nothin major
i'd say you got a lemon

garyc660R 02-09-2005 03:51 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

Originally posted by: SukiZ400rdr
I had a 2000 Silverado 1500, and I got rid of it cuz I was afraid of all the problems I havebeen hearing people have with the Silverados. Plus I had a hefty payment, too. I now have a 96 2500HD with 113000 miles on it. Was a one owner truck and I feel moreconfident driving and pulling with this truck than I did with my Silverado which only had 57000on it when I got rid of it. Plus, the 5.7 engine pulls better.Anyways, you dont agitate me, I know where you are coming from. My Uncle was a die hard Ford man all his life, bought a 2002 Silverado 2500, and he is happy for the most part, except the engine tic tic tic.... These trucks came out in 1999, and they ticked then. Guess what, the 05's tick just as bad. You would think GM could have fixed this problem by now.I am a Chevy man, always will be. But as far as I am concerned, Chevy quit building trucks in 1999, when they introduced the Silverado. My 2 cents.
I have 2 family members that have bought new Silverado 1500's recently with the 5.3 liter engine and neither one ticks like all of the earlier models done. It's no secret that the 4l60 tranny craps out for no apparant reason. My father bought an 02 1500 and at 40K EASY OLD MAN miles and trans crapped out. This vehicle was maintained top notch. This is unnacceptable.

RaptorRy 02-09-2005 05:58 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I see alot of chev at work and I can say that I would be afraid to own a 99 or newer with more than 100000 miles with all the drivetrain problems I have seen like a rock my butt Gm sure messed up when they got rid of the c/k in 98 I had a 94 sierra that was a great truck but I won't ever by a new gm pickup again

crazypainter 02-09-2005 07:46 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

All these problems are in the span from 10k-25k, I dont have a lot of miles on it . The scariest thing is that it blew a fuse for the air bags, the dealer replaced the fuse but couldn't find what blew it. I'm afraid it will blow right before someone crosses the center line into me, I hope my survivors sue the crap out of GM on that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

confusedbuyer 02-10-2005 03:58 AM

Thumbs down on Chevy

this ISN"T the diesel is it? i always thot GM built a pretty bullet-proof drive-train, it's everything around it that falls apart and drives ya nuts. how about my '97 GMC with the 4.3 L... $800 for a fuel pump!! (NO labor, just the part). The glove box latch...just the little squeeze latch...$140!! ANd i've had tons of other problems (especially with the Dexcool that's supposed to last to 100K....... but was giving me major coolant problems from 75k onward; heater core, water pump, intake manifold gasket, 3 different hoses). The goofy thing is, that motor and tranny will prolly reach 300,000 miles without doing anything to it.

you must have got a Friday before a long weekend truck, or built on a Tuesday after labor day weekend...or however those urban legends go. I think Ford, GM and Dodge all have their lemons in even their best designs. It's how they deal with it after that really counts, and for such big, huge, rich companies, they're amazingly rotten and cheap to deal with.WHat about the lemon laws in your state? Do you have an option to replace after so many problems?

NLWarrior01 02-10-2005 06:45 AM

Thumbs down on Chevy

Originally posted by: crazypainter
This truck is a LEMON, anybody else had this many problems with theirs?
We've got 3 of the '04 Duramax 4x4 models up here and they all seem to have electronic problems of some sort. Two of them have the speedos pegged at 200km/h and the other one has the tach pegged at 5kRPM ... the trucks seem to work fine other than that. The one with the Tach pegged has some awful clunking sounds, but we're at a remote work site with some pretty darn rough roads .. oh .. and they're company trucks too, so you know they're not having an easy life. Neither of the trucks has more than 35,000km (less than 20k miles) ... I love the trucks, but these kind of problems scare me away from ever wanting to buy one. Especially a second hand one with no warranty ...