Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How much is right for 1978-1982 Chevy/GMC (pickup truck)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is right for 1978-1982 Chevy/GMC

Hey, I am thinking of getting a bit of a beater pickup truck to tinker with over the summer. I want to learn about reparing body work and such. There is a Chevy truck down the road for sale. I have called the owner and havent gotten a response yet but heres what I can tell you from just giving it the look-around. The frame and body look in ok condition with some surface rust along the edges and the tailgate but nothing structurally weak. The bed is green, the cab is white, and the doors are black. the seat had a cheap cover on it so i'm guessing it is shredded. The Drive-train and the Differentials seemed in good condition (not leaking). I am expecting the tranny has been built at one time or another.

In general, im not sure actually what model truck it is but its between 78 and 82. i think its either a 2500 or silverado, somthing like that. It is a regular cab with no slider in the back window. Hand crank windows, the radio has been removed, Its a stick shift (im guessing 4 speed). The interior is in so-so condition. kind of like the exterior. From the aftermarket grill and rims, and what i think is a suspention lift not a body lift, I would assume at one time it was a well taken care of truck, but it seems as though it has been let go to rust up some. it has an 8 foot bed with a diamondplate tool box in the bed. the box looks like it could be shined up with some polish.

The for-sale sign says $2500 OBO. Im in RI at college but im going to go home this weekend for a test drive. What do you think a reasonable price for this truck would be worth. I feel its definatly under the $2500. So you know its been sitting out for sale for the last 2 or 3 weeks and hasnt moved. I was thinking of offering somthing like $1000 if the transmission/drivetrain and the engine are in good working order, especially the drive train since its lifted.

Thanks