Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge ram 2500 4x4 turbo diesel or Ford 250 4x4 turbo diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge ram 2500 4x4 turbo diesel or Ford 250 4x4 turbo diesel

Originally posted by: BKrukow
I definatly would not get one of the new 6.0 powerstrokes because of relibility problems, having said that I know couple people with them and they have had no problems as of yet.
Same here. 2 people. Zero problems. One tows, the other doesn't.

I have gotten as much as 20 mpg IF I drive at the 55 mph speed limit but I just cant get myself to drive that slow. I typicaly drive around 65 and get around 16-19 mpg. Towing a 28 foot camper with 2 ATVs on the back of the truck I get 10-12 MPG at 80-85 down the inerstate.
Nice mileage. Helps with the manual. Most people are too rushed to let it cruise.

As far as Ford having a larger back seat that is over for sure. Check out the new Dodge Meg Cab. It has reclining back seats. They put the short box on the long box frame and filled the space with more back seat. The cab is 20 inches longer than the curent quad cab.
He's looking for a used unit, and I believe the Megas aren't even out yet. Are they going to offer a long bed option? If not, Dodge is still behind in the overall picture of things.

As far as the coment abought the Cummins needing more power. Last time I checked it was rated higher than Ford or Chevy. 325 horse 610 FT/Lbs of torque.
I believe GM upped the current ante to 635 or 645 ft lb.

The other great advantage on the Dodge is the ability to put an exaust break(simaler to a Jake break only not as loud) on the manual tranie trucks.
Banks makes an exhaust brake for the PSDs with autos (4R100). GM's Allison 1000 (and whatever the new 6-speed sourced for the upgraded Duramax is) and Ford TorqueShift both have downshifts that come close to exhaust brakes, but aren't the same.

If you're going to tow heavy, or looking at a Ford PSD, be careful on the F-250 4x4 PSDs (250 Crew Long bed 4x4 PSD is the worst on this...pre-'05 anyways). They can run out GVWR as fast as a 1/2 ton can. Spend the extra $1K and get an F-350. (Yeah, I know people will get pissy and b!tch over that one, but stuff it.)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-06-2005, 11:42 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mega's are out but shortbed only, next year for a longbed.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

thanks guys, great info...thanks for all the help..should be happening soon and i wil post back...

If i am looking at a used unit for a ford what year is better and im looking for an 05 for a dodge if i go that route..

Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: 1BADRAPTOR
thanks guys, great info...thanks for all the help..should be happening soon and i wil post back...

If i am looking at a used unit for a ford what year is better and im looking for an 05 for a dodge if i go that route..
The 6.0 came out in '03. Pre-'03 and SOME '03s have the 7.3 if you don't want to go with the 6.0. Most '03 and anything newer is the 6.0. The 6.0 has the new 5sp auto tranny. The 7.3L is backed by the old 4R100.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1BADRAPTOR
Which one is worth the 34,000 price tag, im looking at used ones with no more then 25,000 miles on them..want it for towing, off road..which holds it's value and what is better made and better engine..I have a dodge 1500 now and love it but i feel if im going to get a truck that big i should get the ford with all the room, the dodge has 4 doors like the ford but the ford is so much roomier and has a huge cab...pros and cons of both guys, thanks alot..What about a v10 ford, is it a gas guzzler worse then the diesel and can i pull what i want, then again if im going to go big get the diesel or go home, but with gas it's going to get exopensive..thanks for any help..
I was in the same dilema back in Feb. I chose an 03 Cummins. The 6.0 are junk. I have two friends and their companys have fleets of Fords. Nobody will drive the 6 liters anymore because they always get stranded. They all beg to drive to 7.3's. One of the companies is Thiokol. They build Space Shuttle Rocket motors and are towing waste 200 miles round trip every day loaded to the nuts.. The Cummins has been around since 94 w/ refinements not replacements like Ford has done. That should tell you something.. I sold my 98 Ford to buy my Cummins..

Old 10-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

BUT : the Dodge truck itself, in my opinion sucks!!! I like the engine/tranny/ and rear end ; but you can throw the rest away!
[/quote]

I agree with this statement. I bought a 2001 4X4 w/ a Cummins and Auto new in 2000. The engine makes great power and I have no complaints about it. The rest of the truck is falling apart. The interior is starting to fall apart. I keep looking at the new Dodge truck and wonder if the new owners (Dalmer) has addressed this issue. I would really think twice before buying another.

On a side note, I think the only good Auto trans behind any diesel is the Allison that GM offers

I have to agree about the 6.0 Ford. Lots of problems with them.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have an 03 SRW one ton Dodge Laramie, and I'd have to say I really love the engine. I think my last Ford was a notch above when it comes to quality of the rest of the rig, though. 03 is when Dodge switched body styles, and also when they went to common rail injectioin (the quieter engines).

I also agree about Ford's 6.0. My employer has a small fleet, and I would be scared to own one past it's warranty coverage. Apparently the newer ones are better.

Dodge also missed the boat by not going with a normal crew cab. I'm 6'3, though, and I can still have an adult seated behind me in reasonable comfort, but the Ford would be better in that regard. The Mega cab, IF they ever come out with the rumored long box, will be a really long truck. Getting my 5th wheel into tight spots is mainly limited by the turning redius of my pickup, as it is...

Anyway, If I were king, I'd have my Cummins in a Ford crew cab, with either the Allison auto, or the 7 speed manual (that you can get with an F-650 with a Cummins).

When it came down to what should I compromise on, I felt the engine was most important to me and went with the Dodge, but reasonable minds could choose differently...

Anyway, I would definately go diesel. If you look at a 3 year old Dodge truck's value on Kelly blue book, the diesel is worth about as much more than the engine upgrade costs when you order a new one, so in a way the engine doesn't seem to depreciate, plus you save huge on fuel over a few years. Then there's the 7 year/100,000 mile engine warranty that comes standard with the Cummins.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Nissan Titan ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Old 10-23-2005, 04:00 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: MarkFiddling
but he's looking for a truck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZevil400
Originally posted by: MarkFiddling
but he's looking for a truck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Oooooooooo...thats a major BURN to Nissan!!! SCOURCHING!!!

Quick Reply: Dodge ram 2500 4x4 turbo diesel or Ford 250 4x4 turbo diesel