ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/)
-   -   Dodge ram 2500 4x4 turbo diesel or Ford 250 4x4 turbo diesel (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/218668-dodge-ram-2500-4x4-turbo-diesel-ford-250-4x4-turbo-diesel.html)

1BADRAPTOR 10-05-2005 02:50 PM

Dodge ram 2500 4x4 turbo diesel or Ford 250 4x4 turbo diesel

Which one is worth the 34,000 price tag, im looking at used ones with no more then 25,000 miles on them..

want it for towing, off road..which holds it's value and what is better made and better engine..I have a dodge 1500 now and love it but i feel if im going to get a truck that big i should get the ford with all the room, the dodge has 4 doors like the ford but the ford is so much roomier and has a huge cab...pros and cons of both guys, thanks alot..

What about a v10 ford, is it a gas guzzler worse then the diesel and can i pull what i want, then again if im going to go big get the diesel or go home, but with gas it's going to get exopensive..thanks for any help..

enFORCER 10-05-2005 03:05 PM

The Dodge Cummins 5.9 diesel is one sweet engine.. I would take that over the 6.0 Ford powerstroke..
However you are correct the ford does have more room and rides much better as well...

enFORCER 10-05-2005 03:07 PM

As for the v10, both ford and dodge have em..... I think they are gas guzzling turds...

Hondanutcase 10-05-2005 05:16 PM

There have been a lot of discussion about diesel vs gas. I wouldnt call the V10 a turd. It has plenty of power. I tow my hauler with mine all the time. However if I had the choice and I was in the market for a tow vehicle, my first choice would be the diesel. They definately tow better without straining and get great mileage while towing. The big downfall of the V10 is that your MPG while towing is (for me anyway) is about 9-10 MPG and 14 MPG without towing.

powerstroke01 10-05-2005 11:24 PM

The V10 Likes to dring teh smelly stuff so keep that in mind.
And the Ford has way more interior room inside.

Go with the ford. I just wouldnt have it anyother way. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1BAD250R 10-06-2005 03:55 AM

Go with the Ford, but stear clear of the 6.0 PS! Go with an older Super Duty with the 7.3 PS.....its worth having an older truck and having a more reliable powerplant. Not trying to step on anyones toes who has the 6.0, but I have heard no good things about them other than their better fuel economy over the 7.3. When my father bought the Super Duty in my pics page, we were looking for a used low mileage diesel preferably with the 6.0. We were warned repeatedly by 6.0 owners to go with an older truck with the 7.3. Ford just doesn't have the bugs worked out of it yet (maybe the '05s do....I don't know). My father even has a friend who is a Ford technician and he even told us not to by one. I forgot exactly what their problems were but they are numerous. A buddy of ours has an '04 with the 6.0 and he has a steady oil leak that requires the motor to be pulled out to fix it. The Ford warranty is going to cover it, but it just isn't worth the BS. Our 7.3 runs strong and they sound beefier than the 6.0 too. Just my families experience with these two motors.....Im not trying to upset anyone with a 6.0.

ThrashAndCrash 10-06-2005 04:52 AM

Originally posted by: 1BAD250R
Go with the Ford, but stear clear of the 6.0 PS! Go with an older Super Duty with the 7.3 PS.....its worth having an older truck and having a more reliable powerplant. Not trying to step on anyones toes who has the 6.0, but I have heard no good things about them other than their better fuel economy over the 7.3. When my father bought the Super Duty in my pics page, we were looking for a used low mileage diesel preferably with the 6.0. We were warned repeatedly by 6.0 owners to go with an older truck with the 7.3. Ford just doesn't have the bugs worked out of it yet (maybe the '05s do....I don't know). My father even has a friend who is a Ford technician and he even told us not to by one. I forgot exactly what their problems were but they are numerous. A buddy of ours has an '04 with the 6.0 and he has a steady oil leak that requires the motor to be pulled out to fix it. The Ford warranty is going to cover it, but it just isn't worth the BS. Our 7.3 runs strong and they sound beefier than the 6.0 too. Just my families experience with these two motors.....Im not trying to upset anyone with a 6.0.
I agree with the 7.3 over the 6.0. I am a factory trained 7.3DI, 444E, or powerstroke mechanic; what ever engine you want too call it. And I love the engine.....

It's faulst are:

1: bad engine wiring (valve cover connections melt; the "water in fuel" sensor goes bad and leaks fuel in the IPR sensor wiring, and destroys it, ect) but on both of these problems.....once they were repaired once form stock.........I have never seen on do it twice.
2: Its a V8....a inline engine is better for pulling (torque) plain and simple...no "big rigs" use anything but a straigh 6 today!, NONE!
3: Fords Trannys SUCK!!!!!!!
4: Electronic engine replacement parts are expencive for the 7.3

Good points are:
1: I have to this day NEVER seen a "blown up" electronic 7.3.... Never replaced a single internal engine part! I see the electrical stuff quite a bit, but....
2: Has great power
3. They have the 7.3 on stationary generators running 24-7 at 4000 RPM........THAT IS SICK FOR A DIESEL!!!!!!! and they hold up!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The Cummins/Dodge combo is good also.....
1: VERY simple engine electronics
2: inline 6
3: very durable engine
4: great trans!
5: The new electronic ones are Quite, I am impressed !!!!

BUT : the Dodge truck itself, in my opinion sucks!!! I like the engine/tranny/ and rear end ; but you can throw the rest away!
The Cummins could use a boost in power in stock form also, aftermarket is a different story.

I guess my 10 cents worth of opinion is: pick what you think would sute you best....drive them, and see what you think. They both are real strong, and both have there weak points!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

RTOYZ 10-06-2005 10:37 AM

when we went looking for a truck we had the same question. We went to the ford dealer and was there with the GM for about 2 1/2 hours, in that time my wife stated that she loved the truck(2004 F350 CC) but also stated reliability was a huge factor. long story short the GM at ford sent us to the dodge dealership. We now have the 2004.5 CC Cummins 600. It has lots of power and pulls our 35ft WW just fine while getting about 13mpg while doing it in hilly terrain. When we went into it we both had open minds and spending that much for a truck we wanted it to last, so yes we did give up a little room in the cab for alot more piece of mind. As for the v10, my buddy has an excursion v10 and pulls the same trialer, he gets 5.2 mpg towing and goes over the large hills about 15-20 mph slower.
Pat

LTZ 10-06-2005 12:39 PM

I live real close to you Sam so if you want to take a look at my truck and see how it rides and drives you're more then welcome. There's pics on my page........

BKrukow 10-06-2005 09:25 PM

I definatly would not get one of the new 6.0 powerstrokes because of relibility problems, having said that I know couple people with them and they have had no problems as of yet. I have a 04.5 Dodge Cummins and it is a love hate relationship. For the most part I love the truck but I am sick of STAR(chrysler warenty department). I have only had a couple small isues but STAR has made them into a big headache for me. The truck is in my signature and I balive I have a few pics of it in my gallery. I have gotten as much as 20 mpg IF I drive at the 55 mph speed limit but I just cant get myself to drive that slow. I typicaly drive around 65 and get around 16-19 mpg. Towing a 28 foot camper with 2 ATVs on the back of the truck I get 10-12 MPG at 80-85 down the inerstate. As far as Ford having a larger back seat that is over for sure. Check out the new Dodge Meg Cab. It has reclining back seats. They put the short box on the long box frame and filled the space with more back seat. The cab is 20 inches longer than the curent quad cab. As far as the coment abought the Cummins needing more power. Last time I checked it was rated higher than Ford or Chevy. 325 horse 610 FT/Lbs of torque. On vacation this summer I went to Colorado riding with 5 other people. I towed a 24 foot enclosed trailer with 6 Utility ATVs in it and 6 people in the cab. Plus all the stuf we needed to survive a week in the mountains. We rolled acros a scale before we left and it was just over 19,000 lbs. It pulled the grades going west out of Denver Colorado up over the continental divide at 75-80 mph in 5th gear(6 speed). There are several grades on that climb and they are almost all around 8 miles long and vary between 8-10%. I dont see either of the other 2 brands doing any better. The other great advantage on the Dodge is the ability to put an exaust break(simaler to a Jake break only not as loud) on the manual tranie trucks. I think the new 06+ autos will be able to handle one as well but not sure. Bottome line go out and drive them all and make an informed desision based on how you feel abought the truck when you drive it.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...F01-337516.htm

http://info.detnews.com/photogalleri...ion=2006models
Scrol down to the Mga Cab thumbnail and then click threw the pics of it.