Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Tail Gates / How Much Weight?

Old 12-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Gates / How Much Weight?

Anyone out there know how much weight a tail gate can take? I've got a 06 Nissan Tighten and need to load a 625lb 06 Vinson. I'll be using ramps to run it up into the bed but I'm concerned about the tail gate.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

lol how do you think anyone else gets a quad in the back of the truck? you'll be fine

Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Ford F350 and I take my tailgate off. I am not worried about the weight of my griz but it makes it easier to load. The angle in much less so it goes in easier.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

got a arctic cat 400 its a very heavy bike and no problems here on any of my trucks

Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

Put the ramps on your tailgate. Drive your atv up the ramps. If your tailgate collapses, it won't handle the weight. If it doesn't collapse, it will handle the weight.

toe

Old 12-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Crash302
I have a Ford F350 and I take my tailgate off. I am not worried about the weight of my griz but it makes it easier to load. The angle in much less so it goes in easier.
???? How does that change the angle?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Amphib
Anyone out there know how much weight a tail gate can take? I've got a 06 Nissan Tighten and need to load a 625lb 06 Vinson. I'll be using ramps to run it up into the bed but I'm concerned about the tail gate.
Will it even fit in one of those little Japanese things? It won't hurt a real truck but I'd be afraid I'd squash the springs on an import.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well, we got some ramps and drove it up on the Titan with no problems. Thanks for all the info. I tell ya, that Titan is no wussy. If you ever get a chance, take a close look at it and compare it to some of the others. Very solid....

Old 12-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: 400CatDriver
Originally posted by: Amphib
Will it even fit in one of those little Japanese things? It won't hurt a real truck but I'd be afraid I'd squash the springs on an import.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Chuckle chuckle. I agree that the small imports won't haul the loads the bigger rigs will handle but a lot of us don't need the load capacity of a "real truck". I haul my P 360 in my S-10 on a regular basis with load capacity to spare. Not a lot mind you but still under rated capacity. If I need more load capacity I use my F-250 or 350 but the gas milage sucks. I like the 20+ mpg the S-10 gets.

I checked, out of curiosity, on several different pickups including Nisson and found none of the dealerships were able to supply the tailgate capacity on their products. Apparently the "try it and if it holds it's OK" attitude is the one to use. Kind of surprised me but there it is.

I had a cable fail on my little Chev after it had been inspected by the local dealership and proclaimed to be OK. After the failure another dealership replaced the cables under the recall that is out. I was fortunate the other cable held as I was unloading my quad at the time and it could have been an ugly situation.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: 400CatDriver
Originally posted by: Crash302
???? How does that change the angle?
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he didn't lower the gate. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tail Gates / How Much Weight?