Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge diesel, Why leave it idleing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge diesel, Why leave it idleing?

Originally posted by: MotoF150
This guy lets it idle for hours, at least 2 hours, sometimes 3 hours, his driveway is closer to my house than his house, so Its louder for me, I think he either forgets about it, or he falls asleep, he braggs and he think hes special cause he has a diesel like he's a trucker or something.

take your quad, hope it has a loud exhaust, and idle it in your driveway as long as he does. tell him you have a special quad and it needs to idle for hours

Old 10-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LittleBill
Originally posted by: MotoF150
This guy lets it idle for hours, at least 2 hours, sometimes 3 hours, his driveway is closer to my house than his house, so Its louder for me, I think he either forgets about it, or he falls asleep, he braggs and he think hes special cause he has a diesel like he's a trucker or something.

take your quad, hope it has a loud exhaust, and idle it in your driveway as long as he does. tell him you have a special quad and it needs to idle for hours
Yeah, my neighbors love Banshees with CPI drag pipes...and we have two of them!!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider

Well, this is definately good info to know!!

Especially since I just went out and bought a new Dodge diesel!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

I was really disappointed in my F250 powerstroke after pulling with the Cummins. It's starting to come around on the power now but it took a long time to break in.

Enjoy that Dodge!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 400CatDriver
I was really disappointed in my F250 powerstroke after pulling with the Cummins. It's starting to come around on the power now but it took a long time to break in.

Enjoy that Dodge!
I just saw the pic of the cabinets you had installed in the V-nose trailer!! WOW!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Those are NICE!!!!

I am thinking about getting a V-nose trailer myself! How much did it cost you to get those set up like that, and who did you go to to have it done??

Thanks! And NICE JOB on the cabinets!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Range Rover

I drive a truck for Conway Freight and none of our trucks are ever left to idle and were pulling 80,000 pounds. We have trucks with well over a million miles on them and we still run em everyday. I have been truckin for some time now and I have never heard you need to idle them before shut down and as far as idleing in cold weather being a bad thing, over the road truckers stop at truck stops and rest areas and idle their trucks ten hours at a time to run heat and air conditioning and they have no trouble.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I've known truckers who never cool down, and never have any problems. I think most of the time by the time you get off the freeway ramp (off the go pedal) and putt around to the truckstop, dock or whatever, things have cooled down pretty well by the time the wheels stop anyway.

Don't most trucks have a feature to set it on high idle? Some Rams with automatic will do that, via the cruise control buttons. Either that or running the jake will probably keep the EGT's up...

Old 10-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

My experience with three different diesel trucks has been that the turbo temp is always well cooled down by the time you get off the freeway and to the gas station. Show me someone who spends a lot of time letting their diesel idle, and I'll show you a poser that thinks he's mister Joe Cool because he owns a diesel.

3TV

Old 10-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

The synopsis here is correct: You don't need to idle a diesel that long. I just purchased my first turbocharged diesel early this year after doing tons and tons of research on the whole topic.

The other posters are correct that the reason for the cooldown is the turbocharger - but only a few minutes of "less than full power" are required. The example that was most illustrative for me was if you're working the engine hard on the freeway and pull into a rest stop. In that case you change from hard work to no work in less than a minute, and that risks your turbo's bearings. In this extreme case, the engine should be idled for a couple (read: 2-3) minutes before shutting off.

Most normal circumstances no idling is required at all. Unless your buddy lives at the end of the freeway offramp, the stop-and-go driving from the freeway to your neighborhood is more than sufficient to cool things down. He should just drive it normally and turn it off when he pulls into his driveway.

Good luck convincing him, though. Like ATV owners, most truck owners are rather opinionated!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

These new diesels are much different. It don't hurt anything to shut down right away. You still will have the **** people that say you do and thats fine, I don't do it. One thing I do IS leave it run while I pump fuel or go in to a store for a short time so it stays at operating temp.( live in a small town so I can do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Dodge diesel, Why leave it idleing?