Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Which of these 2 loading ramps would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which of these 2 loading ramps would you choose?

I have an 05' Suzuki Eiger & need a loading ramp of some kind. I haul it in my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 standard bed. The tailgate doesn't close all the way with machine loaded, but that's not a problem. Anyway, I've narrowed down my choices to these 2:

Dual Folding Ramps
Tri-Fold ramp

Both have advantages, but thought I would ask you fellows first. I measured & both will fit under ATV & between tires. The dual single ramp appeals to me because it is arched some (I can maybe load my John Deere mower with them). I can fold them up & put in the cab of the truck while riding. That way they may be less likely to get stolen. The dual ramps are 89" long compared to 71" of the tri-fold. If I get the tri-fold, I'll need some sort of chain/lock combo to lock them in the bed of the truck while riding. Most places we ride we have been fortunate not to have anybody mess with anything, but better safe than sorry.

Any input appreciated,
HS

Old 02-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

Just my .02, but I would get neither...On that same site you showed these two choices they sale a longer
version of the tri folding ramps(84" I believe)...I have a 4X4 Ford F-150 so the tail end sits up pretty high..
This extra length makes the angle alot less steep and much easier to load bike...Plus, they are rated at 1,000lbs,
which would probably nice for the larger utility you will be loading...As far as security, I had a guy show me
a cool trick the first time I used these...All you have to do after unloading is just back your truck's rear tires over
the ends of the ramps...Unless they steal your truck too, the ramps aren't going anywhere...I ralize these are a little
more expensive than the two options you listed, but well worth it for the peace of mind and ease of use over
the long haul....I have been using these ramps in this fashion for almost three years with no problems...Hope this helps.....
P.S.-I would never load a bike without securing ramps...I have seen some pretty nasty falls people and equipment have taken,
just because they wouldn't take the extra minute to secure ramps....Not worth the ris or money to me.....

Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Longer is better, as long as you can store them in the bed when driving down the road. I like the looks of those double ramps out of what you have linked.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would choose the single folding ramps because of their length but as4wheel4food said the Trifold long model would be even safer, too load the John Deere you definetly need an arched ramp and the more length the better to keep you from bottoming out the cutting deck.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

That's a great idea to park your truck on top of the ramp to prevent theft! I'm still leaning toward the dual arched ramps though. Longer is better & I can possibly use them for my riding mower. I don't mind spending a little extra $ if they are safer. My truck bed is 74" long inside with tailgate closed. I usualy pull tailgate up with a ratchet strap to front tie down after machine is loaded. The tailgate will close about 3/4 of the way against the ATV rear tires. That prevents machine from rolling any at all. I still strap it down to be safe.

Thanks for input so far,
HS

Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Well, after poking around the net, I found a great deal on the dual folder here:

Venom ramp

Anybody ever order from them? They get high marks, may give them a shot.

**UPDATE** I went ahead & ordered a set of these, will let you know how they perform when they arrive. Thanks for input all! - HS

Old 02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I like the dual folding ramps.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

I'd go with the tri-fold. I built a wood ramp for my Vinson in 2004 made from 4 2x4, 3 hinges, several 1x4 boards. I don't ride the bike into the truck just incase the ramp should break so far so good. I attach it to the bumper with a rope to prevent spining out.
I saw a neat ramp some guy had in the bed of his short box truck. It made the front of the bike go up about 6" which allowed him to shut the tailgate.