Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Trailer/Towing advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer/Towing advice needed

Well, a couple of weeks ago I picked up my new 07 Honda Rancher. My dilema is that I have no way to transport it to different riding locations without calling a buddy with a trailer. I have a 96 Ford Ranger 3.0 manual shift. It is the Splash extended cab version, so it is flair side with a bed too small to fit my atv. I have been to a few trailer places (including Lowes) and a 5x8 seems to be just the ticket for me.

Here are a few of my questions:
First off, I don't know what the towing capacity of my truck is. Either by using the bumper mount, or by having a hitch installed. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Also, are the mesh floor trailers satisfactory for transporting atv's around?

Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

I would think you would be fine with a light trailer and one quad. I used to haul around a large sit on jet ski with my Honda Accord, through the desert in the summer with no problems. I would go with a hitch install rather than bumper, they are pretty easy to do yourself. Get a Drawtight from Etrailer.com. Mesh is good, easy to clean. Just make sure the trailer is rated for the wieght of the quad.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah no doubt ,you should be fine even with a bumper style ,I used to pull 2 sport quads and gear behind a wrangler with no trouble at all

Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

I found this.

2.3 Liter rated at 2,300 lbs

Check out Lawrence Trailers if you have a dealer in your area. I got a 5X8 about 10 years ago and the only thing that I have ever done to it is a new set of tires and repackd the bearings.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I'D PUT A LITTLE MORE MONEY INTO THE TRAILER THAN THE HITCH AS THE BUMER SHOULD BE GOOD FOR 500LBS! WITH THE WEIGHT OF A ATV A LITTLE BIGGER TRAILER WITH LITTLE BIGGER TIRE WILL PULL BETTER THAN A SMALL TRAILER WITH SMALL TIRES!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you to everyone for the responses so far!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

I'D PUT A LITTLE MORE MONEY INTO THE TRAILER THAN THE HITCH AS THE BUMER SHOULD BE GOOD FOR 500LBS! WITH THE WEIGHT OF A ATV A LITTLE BIGGER TRAILER WITH LITTLE BIGGER TIRE WILL PULL BETTER THAN A SMALL TRAILER WITH SMALL TIRES!</end quote></div>

That was another question I had. I have seen several tire sizes and was wondering what the minimum size was that would give decent pull performance. The smallest I have seen are 12 inches, the 13 inch tires looks significantly bigger to me.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I'D FIND A TRAILER THAT USES STANDARD CAR TIRES LIKE 14' OR 15' YOU CAN FIND THESE TIRES EVERYWHERE IF YOU BLOW ONE. ALLOT OF THEM EVEN USE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN AS A OLDER CHEVY TRUCK. HOPE THIS HELPS!

Trending Topics

Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Go buy a cummins and get a mustang 5th wheel trailor with the beaver tail ramps.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smaller wheels are harder on bearings. Small wheels spin faster than larger wheels. When traveling at highway speeds the bearings on a small wheel could be rotating at twice the speed as those of a larger wheel. So try for a larger wheel if you can find it. The 5x8 size should work well. No worries about brakes since you're way under 3000#. The truck should have no problem hauling a trailer and one ATV.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer

yeah u will have no problems i know someone that hauls a trailor with an s-10 and has a rancher in the bed and a rincon on the trailor youll be fine

Quick Reply: Trailer/Towing advice needed