Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

5x8 Trailer Towing + tickets/fines

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would want to see the pig prove it was improperly secured. **** happens, and stuff fails and breaks. Sounds like you made his day for helping him make part of his ticket quota. You could've hit a pot hole, which in many towns there are no funds to fix them and it could've caused the strap to come loose........... I never loaded a quad that way, but I see no problem as long as it is properly secured and not sticking out past wheel wells of trailer.

Most likely the pig was jealous of you, cause you have quads and he probably doesn't, nor could afford one, or what have you. I've seen one too many times, these idiots writing tickets out of jealously, trying to meet their quota, racial profiling, ect, ect....One thing I cannot stand is a double standard, like them giving tickets for tinted windows on front windows, yet their cruiser has tint on windows. I know someone who goes around looking for cruisers with tint on their windows and has tickets written against the cop that is driving the cruiser. And one time there was this time back int he 90's a local PD had removed their cats's from their exhausts on all cruisers and guess what? They got ticketed, and were given 30 days to put the cats back on or else be heavily fined.

Unless you were driving like a jackass, and swerving around with your trailer on, which I highly doubt, you did come to a stop and correct the problem. Like I said, accidents will happen, and straps will fail and you should not be prosecuted with some ridiculous fine. You acknowledged the problem and pulled over. If I were you i would plead not guilty, and explain that a strap had failed. But just remember you will have a huge uphill battle, because the cop is in bed with both the prosecutor and judge, and bottom line is they want your money!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by rufdod
...i came around a bend and his quad slid off one side, then flipped over and was being drug accross the ground until i could pull over, coinsidentally there was a cop accross the street 50ft away watching the whole thing.
Originally Posted by Kodiak450_06
I would want to see the pig prove it was improperly secured. **** happens, and stuff fails and breaks.
If he saw it being drug, then that's all the "proof" he would need. Sure, stuff breaks, but that doesn't lessen your responsibility to keep things from coming off a trailer.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Regardless of what happened the atv fell off the trailer, it was improperly secured! Pay the fine and be glad you're around to get it right next time.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would want to see the pig prove it was improperly secured. **** happens, and stuff fails and breaks. Sounds like you made his day for helping him make part of his ticket quota. You could've hit a pot hole, which in many towns there are no funds to fix them and it could've caused the strap to come loose........... I never loaded a quad that way, but I see no problem as long as it is properly secured and not sticking out past wheel wells of trailer.

Most likely the pig was jealous of you, cause you have quads and he probably doesn't, nor could afford one, or what have you. I've seen one too many times, these idiots writing tickets out of jealously, trying to meet their quota, racial profiling, ect, ect....One thing I cannot stand is a double standard, like them giving tickets for tinted windows on front windows, yet their cruiser has tint on windows. I know someone who goes around looking for cruisers with tint on their windows and has tickets written against the cop that is driving the cruiser. And one time there was this time back int he 90's a local PD had removed their cats's from their exhausts on all cruisers and guess what? They got ticketed, and were given 30 days to put the cats back on or else be heavily fined.

Unless you were driving like a jackass, and swerving around with your trailer on, which I highly doubt, you did come to a stop and correct the problem. Like I said, accidents will happen, and straps will fail and you should not be prosecuted with some ridiculous fine. You acknowledged the problem and pulled over. If I were you i would plead not guilty, and explain that a strap had failed. But just remember you will have a huge uphill battle, because the cop is in bed with both the prosecutor and judge, and bottom line is they want your money!
Seems like the only one that's a jackass here is YOU! I dont know what anti-police bug crawled up your *** but I would think you need to check yourself. If a quad comes off a trailer, guess what? IT WASN'T PROPERLY LOADED/SECURED! Yeah **** happens, that's why you overbuild, oversecure and try to compensate for ANYTHING that could and will happen while towing. And you wonder why some police officers aren't too happy with ATV'ers, look in the mirror!

Plead not guilty take it to court if you would like and explain that you will correct the problem, or already have. A bigger trailer, trailer mods (that are within the law) more straps etc. What'd you get 4903(b) ? if so it's a sliding fine $100-300 like you said, see if the judge will give you a break. There aren't any points involved just the fine.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Something smells awfully fishy.

10 mph around a bend should not propel a quad up and over the side of a trailer. From your explanation the center of gravity would be inside the trailer and it would take a significant force to lift that weight over the side of the trailer.

How many straps did you use? Where I live 2 are required. What is the load rating on your straps? I'll bet they are those lightweight 400 lb. rating holding a 650 lb load.

At ten mph calculators on the internet show that you could stop in 21 feet so his ATV shouldn't have been dragged very far.

I think you are very fortunate that you only got one ticket.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer
Exclamation

Sounds to me the OP was very negligent in securing his load. And, if you loose a load on the highway, presto, automatic ticket.

I have hauled anything and everything over many, many years and have never lost anything. I will not move a rig until everything is properly secure. You cannot just 'hope' things will stay on. I bet the OP did not have enough straps and he did describe that fact he did not have enough trailer.

Pay the ticket, get a bigger trailer, and then have someone instruct you on how to properly load and secure items you are hauling.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

You are the dumbest douche bag I have come across, You're whole middle paragraph is abunch of lies. You don't know anyone that went around giving tickets to cops. If something comes off a trailer...it was not secured! DUMBASS

Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs down

It sounds like YOU have problems.