Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Which is better...a 7 or 8.5 enclosed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
What size truck do you have? As you continue getting longer in the trailer you are needing a bigger truck...We use a 24 ft and tow with a 1 ton regular axle. I would think that a 3/4 ton would do it but would not want to go with a half ton...just more to consider!! Go with the wider option for sure though!!
Mudslinger2
Oh yeah...my Tow vehicle is plenty for the task. With a total weight ( trailer + cargo ) not exceeding the GVWR of 7000lbs...no issues there.

I just do not like the the 8.5 wide trailers! Gosh...those things look way...way...to big...and towing one seems like it would be really hard. I am seriously...thinking the 7x20 is the way to go. It allows me to see the tires of the trailer...which helps when parking and running down the road. Still a hard choice to make!!!

Oh get this...talked to the owner of the new place that I am going to purchase...and got a price between the 7ft or 8.5ft...and the cost savings for the 7ft is only $86.00. WTF?!?! Really...??? I thought it would in the $400 or $500 range...

biz

Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Originally Posted by biz4two
Oh yeah...my Tow vehicle is plenty for the task. With a total weight ( trailer + cargo ) not exceeding the GVWR of 7000lbs...no issues there.

I just do not like the the 8.5 wide trailers! Gosh...those things look way...way...to big...and towing one seems like it would be really hard. I am seriously...thinking the 7x20 is the way to go. It allows me to see the tires of the trailer...which helps when parking and running down the road. Still a hard choice to make!!!

Oh get this...talked to the owner of the new place that I am going to purchase...and got a price between the 7ft or 8.5ft...and the cost savings for the 7ft is only $86.00. WTF?!?! Really...??? I thought it would in the $400 or $500 range...

biz
I too am in the camp that the 8.5 is the way to go over the 7'. There is a huge amount of extra space. A couple of other things to consider:

1. You don't say exactly what your tow vehicle is but if it only has a 7,000#
GVWR then it sounds like a typical half-ton. A 20' x 8.5' could take four and maybe five ATVs' but that load will start to stress a half-ton truck. Toss in the extra windage of the 8.5 and it sounds like you'll do better with the narrower trailer.
2. You must have extendable tow mirrors for the 8.5. I frequently tow a 12x7 and a 16x8.5. Towing the smaller trailer is much less of an 'event' - just hook it up and go. My tow mirrors in the retracted position work fine. With the 8.5, if I forget to extend my mirrors, I can't see squat behind me.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just do not like the the 8.5 wide trailers! I am seriously...thinking the 7x20 is the way to go.

Don't make a 2nd expensive mistake!
8.5' x 20-24 and get 10k axles.
anything less is just a waste of trailer and money.
once you tow a few times you will get used to the extra width. yes you need to get extended mirrors

Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default 7 ft versus 8 ft

You didn't mention what you had to tow with, but generally the 7 ft wide will push less air so milage will be better and it tracks in line with the tow vehicle air wise so you usually will not have the side load problem when passing trucks.. If you can load in line, no issues. But if you have to turn them sideways to fit more machines, it could be a struggle. BUT, one thing to remember, you can usually see around a 7 ft trailer in your mirrors. Forget it with an 8 ft wide.

Resale wise, you have a larger potential market with the 8 ft wide. Also, I'd think about going ot a 24 ft for the same reason. Most people want a 24 ft trailer if they are hauling cars.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Yeah Drag...

That is pretty much why I went and ordered a 7x20 wedge-nose, slant-nose. Also included: 3/4" floor, 3/8" walls, side and roof vents, 4 corner d-rings, e-track, 36" side door, and rear ramp.

I just didn't feel comfortable going with a 8.5' wide trailer.

Cargo (3 atv's) will fit just perfect...and still have room for equipment. My TV: 2003 FORD F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 (pics in garage) V10 Auto with Tow mirrors. It really is a tow beast!

Just a couple more weeks...until the trailer comes in!

biz

Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

Sounds like you got the right setup this time. Grats!! Be sure to post some pics!!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah Drag...

That is pretty much why I went and ordered a 7x20 wedge-nose, slant-nose. Also included: 3/4" floor, 3/8" walls, side and roof vents, 4 corner d-rings, e-track, 36" side door, and rear ramp.

I just didn't feel comfortable going with a 8.5' wide trailer.

Cargo (3 atv's) will fit just perfect...and still have room for equipment. My TV: 2003 FORD F-250 SuperDuty 4x4 (pics in garage) V10 Auto with Tow mirrors. It really is a tow beast!

Just a couple more weeks...until the trailer comes in!

biz
Any pics? Is the box 20' + the V or 20' including the V?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

We have a 2004 24ft Vintage Enclosed trailer. It is 8.5' wide. My dad and i converted it to a "toy hauler". It now has 3 bunk beds (custom made) that fold up on the wall, diamond plate floor, cabinets, counter top, 15,000 BTU roof mounted AC/Heater, 17" LCD TV (computer monitor that we converted to a TV), DVD/VCR Player, Microwave, Toaster Oven, and a coffee maker. All the wiring was done by my dad (not too sure on the details of that.) I know we do have a 20AMP breaker. On the front we have a tool box. My dad bought it from a guy that had a sand dragster. He put that and a golf cart into the trailer. The axles (2) are rated at 3500lbs each. And 7,000lbs is not enough for what we have/put int their. We need heavier axles and heavier rims. Our tires are fine though.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by David_L6
Any pics? Is the box 20' + the V or 20' including the V?
The box is 20' plus the 18" wedge. My trailer is not really a true V-nose.

Trailer: 2012 LOOK trailer; 7000 GVWR

biz

Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

That's nice.

I wish I had the truck to pull a trailer that large. I have a 1/2 ton Silverado with a 5.3L. My trailer is 7 X 16 (+ 3' V nose) and that's about all I'm comfortable pulling with my truck.

Quick Reply: Which is better...a 7 or 8.5 enclosed?