Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Which is better...a 7 or 8.5 enclosed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Which is better...a 7 or 8.5 enclosed?

Hi all,

In the market for either a 7ft or 8.5ft x 20ft enclosed trailer to haul my 3 atv machines. If you want more history...read this thread I started way back when. The POOR and HARSH is post #14!!!

http://forums.atvconnection.com/trai...e-ideas-2.html

So...Which is better? Why is it better?

biz

Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

Hey Biz, from reading the "History" of your problem, I'd go with ther 8.5. I try to never make the same mistake twice. Look at it this way....You can deal with having extra space, but you can't make the trailer grow if you need more room. JMO

Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely go with the 8.5 if you have a truck that can pull it. We ride out of an 8.5 feet wide by 24 foot long enclosed trailer. A couple things to think about, if anybody else wants to ride with you, you can park 2 quads side by side with an 8.5 foot and could probably get 4 quads in instead of three. We can get 6 full size quads in our 24. Also, with 8.5 feet, you have a full 4+ feet to walk beside the quads in you park them to one side of the trailer. This is enough room for extra gear and you can still walk through trailer. Also, if you organize your gear, you have enough room to put down air mattresses beside your quads if you want/need to sleep in there for a night. We often camp at trailheads and just sleep in our enclosed trailer. On your post in the classified section, you forgot to put a price! I was interested until I realized you were on the other side of the country from Ohio. I hope you aren't buying another trailer from the same dealer that wouldn't work with you!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah...went to talk with a different trailer company here in town...and the guy (Owner) was real knowledgeable...and friendly. I actually purchased my PJ utility trailer from his company back in 2009. So...I'd be a returning customer for him! Might get a better price too...

I leared that a 7ft and 8.5ft have the same axles width. So...the trailer will track down the road the same with either a 7ft or 8.5ft. YEAH...that was the largest obstacle for me with the 8.5ft.

I see the 8.5ft with lots of frontal surface...and that is not so good compared to the 7ft.

Ok...next question(s) for all you trailer fans!!!

1. Which trailer tracks...down the road the best???
2. Do you need anti-sway for either size (width) trailer???

biz

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
On your post in the classified section, you forgot to put a price! I was interested until I realized you were on the other side of the country from Ohio. I hope you aren't buying another trailer from the same dealer that wouldn't work with you!
YES...I will fix the price issue right now. Thanks!

Absolutely NOT going back to the same person!!! He is OFF my Christmas list for sure!

biz

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

20' for 3 atvs? You need 18' for 2 Tourings.
Yes get a 8.5 wide by as long as you can get.
The 8.5 wide can be use to haul a car if needed and will always bring better resale.

Most all trailers track down the road if the axles are straight.
May need sway bars, depends on the truck.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Right...3 atv's right now. Here is the cargo...
  • 2ea 2011 SP Tourings (each Touring is 90in or 7.5ft based on Polaris specs)
  • 1ea 2008 SP Outlaw 50cc
So...with that listed...should I be looking at the larger 24ft trailer???

Glad to hear that the tracking down the highway will be the same.

Really do appreciate the replies!

biz

Old 02-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 16' I use to haul 2 X2, they are a tight fit, hardly any room between and hard to get to tie downs. 18' would be perfect. Then if you slid the little atv sidways you still want 4' to get around it so yes a 22-24'

Having the extra 1.5' along the sides makes it easy to get along side the atv better and room to haul gear.
8.5 x 20-24' would be a lot easier to resale also.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RickCJ7
I have a 16' I use to haul 2 X2, they are a tight fit, hardly any room between and hard to get to tie downs. 18' would be perfect. Then if you slid the little atv sidways you still want 4' to get around it so yes a 22-24'

Having the extra 1.5' along the sides makes it easy to get along side the atv better and room to haul gear.
8.5 x 20-24' would be a lot easier to resale also.

Yeah...16' is a tight fit for sure. If it wouldn't have been for the V-nose section...I don't think I would have been able to tie them down.

This has been a really expensive...but good learning experience!

biz

Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Truck

What size truck do you have? As you continue getting longer in the trailer you are needing a bigger truck...We use a 24 ft and tow with a 1 ton regular axle. I would think that a 3/4 ton would do it but would not want to go with a half ton...just more to consider!! Go with the wider option for sure though!!
Mudslinger2

Quick Reply: Which is better...a 7 or 8.5 enclosed?