Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you secure to the trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you secure to the trailer.

I have been trying a bunch of different ways to secure my wheelers to the trailer. I was hooking the rachet straps under on the U channel, and I would find that the straps would come loose. I got some D rings and mounted to the side of the trailer and they look like crap. I now have progressed and got some tuffrails and put them on the trailer. Has anyone else used these, and what do you think? I did find a pretty cool YouTube video.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I drilled holes through the metal outer frame and put in eye bolts with lock nuts on them so they don't come loose. I use the ratcheting style straps and crank them until the straps sound like a guitar string when strummed. Haven't had any get loose this way.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

It might be where you're attaching the straps on the quads that could be the problem. If it's anywhere that is tied to the suspension (handle bars, grab bar). When the trailer bounces, the suspension on the quad reacts too. Might be shifting enough to loosen a strap.

Personally, I always hooked on the the frame. The shocks could do all they wanted, but the machine is not going to move.

On my trailer, I had put large eye bolts through the floor and hooked on to that. Never had any issues with them bouncing or loosening a strap.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I welded u-bolts to the trailer and use ratchet tie-downs. They don't come loose like the cam-style straps do.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have multiple eye bolts on the flatbed for different loading configurations of different ATV's. Keep a selection of chains and hooks with turnbuckles - go from the eye bolts to the ATV frame. Easy to hook and unhook. Fairly inexpensive. Easy to change out for other ATV's. Never had a problem in thousands of miles trailering.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Eye bolts

I use eyebolts with a large fender washers, lock nuts etc. But I warn you. I have an alluminum trailer, and drilled through the heavy brace running down the middle and thought everything was good. Well one exceptional pot hole pulled the eyebolt right through the frame. Not sure that would happen on a steel trailer, but something you might want to think about. I am left with one very large hole where the eyebolt used to be.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default E-Track

E-Trac...expensive but nice to be able to move your tie-down points accordng to what you are hauling!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

My trailer is a converted tandem axle boat trailer that I lengthened so the deck is 20', then I put a rail on the front and sides of the trailer that collapses on one side when pins are pulled, both side rails come up at an axle and catch the machines about 1/2 way up on the tire, I load the machines sideways and can haul 5 full size quads. I will hook the front one so it can't move back and the rear one so it can't move forward, then go run one strap from the right rear corner of the frame on one machine, loop down through the rail and up to the left corner of the next, continue lacing them on until everything is rock solid, front and back, side to side.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

My trailer started life as a home made car hauler. Its 12 feet long, 6 feet1 wide and had a gap down the middle. I welded chain links to the angle iron on the side and in the center for anchor points. We put my wifes honda rancher on from the side and run ratchet straps over the the tires. My Cat is loaded from the back and ratcheted down by the tow hitch and the running boards. I pull it down enough to put a little compression on the suspension. Only time I ever had a problem was when one of the straps broke on the cat, but it stayed on the trailer.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

my trailer is a 5x8 from lowes I pull the quad on from the rear I use ratchet straps and go from the top rail on the trailer go up and around each of the 4 tires (around the tire over the A arm and back to the trailer) rode from Ohio to Minnesota 75-80 all the way no problems at all (except on the chicago toll roads when I hit a bump and the tool carrier thats mounted to the trailer popped open when I hit a pothole)

Quick Reply: How do you secure to the trailer.