ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/)
-   -   Do you prefer a winch or a toolbox? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/347578-do-you-prefer-winch-toolbox.html)

bigcountry78 11-12-2012 04:56 PM

Do you prefer a winch or a toolbox?

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out which would be better on a 6x12 utility trailer. I have several atv winches laying around, but I would have to build and weld a mount on. On the other hand, a toolbox would easily bolt on but I don't have one readily available and the one I want sells for about $300. So what do you prefer on your trailers, a winch or a toolbox?

mudslinger2 11-12-2012 09:07 PM

Tool Box

I don't have either, but that size trailer really isn't big enough that you are ever going to winching a car onto it so I really don't see the point in putting a winch on it! I would go with the toolbox for sure! Actually depending upon where the jack is on your trailer, I would go with a box on the tongue if at all possible...you lose zero floor space and gain substantial storage for straps and all that small gear!

bigcountry78 11-12-2012 10:30 PM

Yea you bring up a good point. My thinking was that if I ever bought a quad that needed work or was for parts, the winch would make it easier to load. But that probably won't happen enough to warrant mounting a winch and then having to get power to it. I could just keep a come-a-long in the box..... As for mounting the box, the jack is a folding type mounted near the for t of the younger so I would def mount the box on the tounge. I'm not willing to give up any deck space.

bigcountry78 11-13-2012 03:54 AM

I meant to say that the jack is near the front of the tounge. Stupid auto correcting phone..

tekrsq 11-24-2012 10:38 AM

I also have a 6x12. I REALLY wanted the tool box (just didn't have the money), until me and a friend were riding one day, he flipped is Arctic Cat, and tore off one of the front wheels, bent the other, etc. Luckily we were only about a mile in the woods, so I was able to pull what was left of the bike back to our trucks. Since there was absolutely no way to get that thing in the bed of his truck, it had to go on my trailer. We played hell getting that thing on the trailer !!! He was hurt (not critical, but enough), and I could not lift the front of the bike, and pull it onto the trailer. Eventually, I ended up having to push it on with my bike (his bike had no power, and we couldn't get it started). If I would have had a winch on the trailer, it would have made life SOOOOOO much easier. I eventually rigged a hand winch (from a boat trailer) on the front of the trailer that could easily be taken on and off. I've had to use it a couple of times since, and extremely glad I did it.

jgar 11-25-2012 07:04 AM

You can do both winch and tool box. Put the tool box on and mount the winch to the deck behind the box. Might have to fab a plate or reinforce the deck for the winch.

jcdc04atv 11-26-2012 08:24 PM

tekrsq, did you consider using ratchet straps to pull the disabled atv onto your trailer? It is a slow process but I have used them as winches in a pinch.

tekrsq 11-27-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jcdc04atv (Post 3152666)
tekrsq, did you consider using ratchet straps to pull the disabled atv onto your trailer? It is a slow process but I have used them as winches in a pinch.

I did, but the way the front end was tore up, I didn't think they would do the job without breaking the ratchet mechanism. If the bike would've just been broken down, they would've worked fine (but slow).

The boat winch works great. I just need to redesign the mount so I can add a small tongue box.

ember1205 12-17-2012 04:25 PM

Get a come-a-long and store it in the toolbox.

:thumbsup:

beergut 12-17-2012 07:47 PM

why not put the winch on the atv instead of the trailer?

I'd personally rather have the box- I welded a steel box & a tire changer to my trailer- my atv has a winch if for some reason I need to limp it up on the trailer.