Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

over the cab atv rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride it up there. I have safety chains from the ramps to the rack so I know they'll stay in place. In designing it, I decided side loading worked best to keep the fore and aft weight back further, thus keeping the load on the front axle within ratings. I was linited in how far back I could go because I still wanted 90 turning radius on the trailer. I currently use a cover over the ATV but am thinking of building an air dam in front of it to take the air off it as the covers don't stand up to the wind very well. Besides, they are knid of a pain getting on and off since you have to do it on top of the truck. The rack is only attached to the frame. With the trailer attached, there is very little change in the feel of the weight being on top of the truck. Without the trailer you can feel it more, but it is far from feeling like it's going to tip or unstable.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad loading

I know most don't have the bigger rigs. For me I have been pulling a fifth wheel trailer with a flatbed. As my truck is a 5500 dodge my fifth wheel hitch is right at the end of the bed. This leaves most of the bed empty. I made a small jib that I can swing to the side and pick up my quad, 1500 cruizer, fuel tank and such and swing them over the bed. I just use a boat winch for lifting.
Just picked up a dually pickup. Am looking for a nice 30ft travel trailer so my bed will be free. Most likely pull he bed off and build a flatbed so I can put a quad and two small bikes on it.
For the time being though, will use the bigger truck with a travel trailer and have the 12x8ft deck for toys.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default price

Originally Posted by coloelk52
The design / materials are something that I am looking at marketing, so therefore I won't give out that information. I will tell you it is more complicated than what you can see in these pictures. There was a fair amount of engineering that went into this. I have a summers worth of testing and use on it now with only 1 minor change. If someone wantrs to contact me, we can discuss purchasing the detailed plans for it. Not trying to be hard about it, but it took a lot of time and work to get it to this point.
I have a F350 4 door. What would you sell me a copy of the plans for I could make changes to make it fit my truck.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Why not just buy a toyhauler?

Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

i am interested was trying to figure out how to take an extra quad when the trailer (goose neck) is full of the other two, one question i have is could you make the front bars go to the frame right behind the front doors or would that put too much load on the rear? it looks well built and i would definitely be interested in a trial run except my rigs aren't as nice as yours LOL

Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP hasn't posted anywhere in the forum in almost 4 years and may no longer be here. The idea of loading a quad over the roof and unloading without a REALLY long ramp scares the crap out of me. With my luck I'd overshoot it and kill myself. Also I don't think I would like the way my truck would handle with it up there while cruising down the freeway at 75 MPH. I've had to suddenly swerve or make panic stops in the past and wouldn't want to be anywhere near that rig if someone had to make emergency maneuvers.