Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Pro's & Con's of ATV trailers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's & Con's of ATV trailers

FNG here looking at buying a couple of Utility ATVs.

Seems like the ATV trailer with angled sides is the way to go? I am looking at a 12' Maxey, I think it is good quality /decent price.

What is your experience using this type of trailer? What are the disadvantages?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Never heard of the Maxey. Can you post a link?

Old 09-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Never heard of the Maxey. Can you post a link?
+1

Old 09-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

Maxey Trailers Mfg... We Can Do It!

A local dealer sells them, has a 77" x 12' (deck size). The rear tail is removable ramps you hook on the side and drive over.

But regardless of the brand, does anyone here use this type of trailer?

Old 09-24-2015, 06:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a nice trailer. How much is one this size?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a side loading trailer and really liked it. Not quite like the one you're looking at though. That one looks pretty nice and would probably do the trick. Just be careful about load weight. Try to figure out how much quads would weigh with gas, gear, and quads. I would never load any trailer up to its limit.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
Looks like a nice trailer. How much is one this size?
Thanks Greg74, I've enjoyed your many posts on the board and learned alot. This trailer is $1695. I shopped around and can only find this design carried by one dealer. They come in larger sizes too but I did not price them.

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I had a side loading trailer and really liked it. Not quite like the one you're looking at though. That one looks pretty nice and would probably do the trick. Just be careful about load weight. Try to figure out how much quads would weigh with gas, gear, and quads. I would never load any trailer up to its limit.
Good advice MooseHenden, I know the DOT well, good bunch of people looking out for our wives and children

It specs 3.5k axle, maximum load capacity #2990. The bikes I am looking at are #650 each, so I should be good even with a 3rd (glad my wife isn't reading).

Other dealers have ATV trailers where the siderails are removable between the axle and tongue. The removable portion are ramps. Problem is you still have to lug the bike into the middle position of the trailer if you want to load another one sideways. Those trailers with removable siderails also have drop down rear gates for lengthwise loading.

I like this drive over model and think its a good choice. Its only real draw back is it's painted and not powder coated. Otherwise the wires run inside the channels, LED recessed lights, 15" radials. The jack is a swing up too, but I don't think you can put a wheel under it?

Including electric brakes, break away kit, spare radial tire , and a control module for my truck, $2483 OTD.

I will post a few pics if I get one! Thanks again for the replies!!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good looking trailer and it has some nice features. I would check out other trailers too. Their might be another good one that doesn't cost so much.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$1695 isn't bad. Even a standard 6x12 trailer with a rear gate doesn't cost much less than that. I had a 5x14 atv trailer many years ago, way back in 2002. I think I paid $800 for it brand new. You could haul 2 large atvs, front to back and the ramps slid into a channel that became the rear gate. I think a similar trailer costs a lot more now though but probably less than $1695 No way to haul a 3rd quad but still was easy loading 2 on there. It was a relatively lightweight trailer as well. I actually sold it to a coworker and tried to buy it back many years later but he didnt want to part with it.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
That's a good looking trailer and it has some nice features. I would check out other trailers too. Their might be another good one that doesn't cost so much.
No place left to look, unless I have one custom built and that can't be any cheaper. If the dealer accepts my offer for the bikes, this trailer is coming home lol.

Originally Posted by greg74
$1695 isn't bad. Even a standard 6x12 trailer with a rear gate doesn't cost much less than that. I had a 5x14 atv trailer many years ago, way back in 2002. I think I paid $800 for it brand new. You could haul 2 large atvs, front to back and the ramps slid into a channel that became the rear gate. I think a similar trailer costs a lot more now though but probably less than $1695 No way to haul a 3rd quad but still was easy loading 2 on there. It was a relatively lightweight trailer as well. I actually sold it to a coworker and tried to buy it back many years later but he didnt want to part with it.
Yepper, it's a few dollars more for this design. Also, I should be able to make it a general use trailer too with e-track, tire bonnets and ratchet straps.

Quick Reply: Pro's & Con's of ATV trailers