Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

whitewater, thanks for stating that distance in metric (500 meters), since you confused everyone, that's about 1/3 of a mile.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Oh, and my father in-law, a die hard Chev guy always says about Dodge: "The name says it all, DODGE it". Funny though, all our logger relatives up north swear by the Cummins with a standard tranny only. I think cuz they've had good luck with that engine in their skidders, grapple yarders, etc..

rescue, what's the "Banks Trans Command" all about?? I found my chip re-programmed my shifting to be much smoother. I was told with the 4" exhaust you should really add the pyrometer cuz you can really start to heat things up. It was explained to me, but I'm not sure i understand since you're pushing exhaust through a bigger outlet, I thought that would make it run cooler.

ya, my diesel mech. buddy says by the time your temp gauge shows hot, it's already too late. mine never moves from normal operating temp, no matter what I pull. he calls it an idiot gauge too.

Old 06-30-2004, 03:05 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rescue: The shop that does our fluid maintenance (oil, radiator, tranny, etc.) recommended that I service at 8K mile intervals to keep it from dieing again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] My boss would have an absolute fit if I had it done that often.

Anyone have any opinion on Flush vs. pan/filter drop? The shop recommends a flush (using something like 20 qts. and about $10 more) over a pan drop. One would think you need to change that filter....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-30-2004, 04:09 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer

rescue, what's the "Banks Trans Command" all about?? I found my chip re-programmed my shifting to be much smoother. I was told with the 4" exhaust you should really add the pyrometer cuz you can really start to heat things up. It was explained to me, but I'm not sure i understand since you're pushing exhaust through a bigger outlet, I thought that would make it run cooler.

ya, my diesel mech. buddy says by the time your temp gauge shows hot, it's already too late. mine never moves from normal operating temp, no matter what I pull. he calls it an idiot gauge too.
Confused, it senses the load you are hauling and provides a better, smoother shift. When it was installed, we were hauling 5,000 lbs 2-3 times a week. Felt it was another way to help extend the transmission.
I know what you are saying about having a bigger exhaust, I think it does make it run cooler. I think, where you need the guages, is when you had 80-100 plus horsepower and then try hauling 10,000 plus lbs at 70 plus mph. Demanding the performance you just paid all that money for. Things start heating up real fast. A friend of mine had just that done, they told him, he needed the guages to monitor everything. He also hauls a weekend warrior weighing in at around 18,000 lbs.

BlackandRed, If I haul my trailers a little more then usual, I will get the fluid changed sooner. I would go bankrupt changing it every 8,000 miles religiously, for me that's about every 2 months or so[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I think you would want to replace the filter too, that's what is keeping the fluid clean. Unless the argument is; the fluid is breaking down from the heat, and that the filter is not affected by the heat. So, I guess, the heat doesn't break down the fluid enough into a solid to get caught in the filter. Just thins it out? Need an expert to pipe in.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider

my Ford diesel mechanic buddy did the fluid only on mine for the first change, and then the next time he changed the filter. A reputable tranny shop I deal with laughs at the fluid exchange saying before this equipment came out, they dumped fluid, sucked what they could outta the lines and replaced filter. There's also a magnet in the bottom of the pan that always gets filings. NOW, when i went to the equipment trade show in Vegas, all the guys selling these fluid transfer machines said the machines do a more complete exchange of fluid, like 80% plus.

for my $$, I agree with the tranny shop: get as much fluid as you can, and change the filter. Oh, and those fluid exchange machines are the most lucrative piece of equipment in a shop. They make big $$ off them, so who's best interests are they serving, your's or their's?

hey black and red, I spoke to the father-in-law tonight, Mr. die-hard Chev guy. he had a '91 GMC Sonoma, 4.3L/auto. He really worked the hec out of that truck.He pulls loads of cardboard or pulp every single day with a utility trailer and truck box full. no electric brakes on the trailer. many loads have been 2000lbs plus weight of trailer (700lbs or more).Loads with the quad and Boler trailer aswell. It's still in the family. it's got 280,000 Kilometres=175,000 miles. NEVER, EVER changed the tranny fluid up to today and it's still running (he was the original owner, and now his other son-in-law drives that truck). Engine is still good and strong, but he was changing oil every 3,000 miles religiously.

Goofy, but he insisted on running straight anti-freeze with no water mixed. I've argued with him over and over that the water is required to make antifreeze work properly, otherwise it will gel. he insists it doesn't matter. Our climate isn't hot or cold enough for me to prove my point. Our lowest temp is just under freezing for a week, and our highest temp is mid 90's for a week or two. Anyways, the rad is perfectly clean and no hoses replaced, nor water pump. I replaced 1 heater core for him. I think the water becomes corrosive and pure antifreeze isn't, but i still say he should pre-mix to 60/40 (more antifreeze).

maybe it's luck of the draw, or the car built on Monday thing... I dunno. not doing any tranny service at that mileage is crazy, especially considering it's spent it's whole life pulling loads. plus we're pretty hilly. yet it's still going good. lucky i guess.

I bought a 4.3L GMC van cuz of the abuse I've seen his veh. go through, but mine's been a coolant nightmare. Dexcool is garbage; definitely change it before the 100,000 miles GM claims it will last. coolant was a brown sludge at 65,000 miles when i first bought it. I've replaced water pump, intake manifold gasket, heater core, and 3 different hoses, all at different times. And I'm excellent about my preventitive maintenance. go figure.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

A local diesel shop in Reno got me interested in the Superchips thing, but said I needed to get "the gauges" before I did anything to the computer. His prices seemed a bit 'spensive' so I went to my trusted local guy here in Carson City and HE said "Don't chip the Ford". He's had a lot of trouble with them. Dodges and Chevy's are fine, but something about Fords have given him fits. He gave it a 50/50 success chance.

So, I had him install the gauges because I've been worried about what's going on when I'm towing two trailers and we're going "dry camping", which means taking a lot of added weight in water. I changed the air filter and the fuel filter (which I'd uh, 'forgotten' for quite a while), and was surprised with the performance improvement. The fuel filter made a big difference. I'm ashamed to say how long it may have been since I changed that thing - and I had a spare in the side compartment forever! Anyway, on our first trip with the gauges, I found the tranny barely got to 180, which is, I think, the normal engine temp. The only time I got 'concerned' was on a couple of long, fairly steep pulls when tranny got to 190 and the pyro was up in the yellow area (forget what the temp was), and the boost was up too, of course. One thing we did notice was that when we got out of OD and the turbo was doing its job, the boost gauge started to 'tick'. Wonder what that's about...

Bottom line is, I still haven't done anything to the chip. One thing for sure, I'm not buying anything unless I have the cash on hand. And then I'm still not sure which company to go with. Superchips, Hypertech, or any of the others. Whichever I try (IF I try...), I'm gonna want a 30 day money back guarantee so I can send it back if I'm not 'head over heels' happy with it.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I went with what's considered a mild chip at 60HP. It's a "Powerchip" brand. My dad works at a Ford dealer and I know the diesel mechanic very well. He said with this chip, gauges weren't necessary (diesel performance shop told me gauges were needed). Isn't the first time performance shop has tried to oversell or gouge me on something. There are also "tuner" chips where you dial in how much horsepower boost you want from 50-110HP. Apparently these ones have caused problems.

I've had NO problems from my chip. It's the best thing I've ever done. Power change was immediately noticeable, takes off like a sports car. Pull the same hills at 10MPH more. Shifting is WAY SMOOTHER. I have a '99, so maybe Ford already did some of their own re-programming to the following years, but mine is fantastic.

In general, Ford has told the dealers to really crack down on warranty claims and the chip. It used to be it was up to Ford to prove the use of the chip caused or contributed to the failure. Now, they just deny any claim where they see a chip. So add it after your warranty is done, cuz it will be a battle and headache if you still have warranty left. And get the mild one, cuz it does sound like the 100HP+ can cause damage.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Confusedasusual, what did the Powerchip cost you?

Old 06-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

hey whitewater, it's Trojan to you, or Mr. Trojan.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I got mine at "cost" for $500 Cdn= $350 US, BUT...., that was a few years ago. I've heard they've come down in price a lot since then.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Trojan? Are you ribbed for her pleasure?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Sorry if that comment offended anyone.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

That's about what I thought ($350 US - damn conversions, when is Canada just going to be the 51st state?).

Old 06-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

confused: this thing has been rode hard and put away wet. It's a company truck so it's just been beat on. Two of the previous drivers drive like a bat outta hell. Before me, 2 different employees had it. Then both of the boss's daughters have had it. One has gone through THREE (yes THREE) Thunderbirds in probably 5-7 years. (Granted, they were all **** poor shape when she got them.) Nobody wants to be a passenger when she's driving. Let's hope the Focus she's going to get will last. Poor thing. I feel for it already. It doesn't stand a chance. Yes, the Boss is a Ford Man. I have the only non-Ford we have. I feel safe at 90MPH in the passenger seat of my boss's Lightning. I feel like I'm going to die at 25 with her. The second daughter I guess is ok for driving. Never driven with her. But it was leaking oil seriously when she drove it. Lived up in the SF Bay area somewhere at the time. I'm the ONLY person who has driven it that doesn't smoke. It was a stinky nasty thing when I got it.

As it has been a fleet vehicle I can always go into the folder and find out when most of the maintenance was done. Except for the short time that the daughters were driving it.

Considering it's age and mileage, it's actually a pretty darn good little truck. Been very reliable for me in the almost 5 years I've been driving it. Just happens to be an expensive year for it. Everything is just kind of cycling out on it. It is on it's 2nd or 3rd radiator. It does get pretty hot here in the summer. Max summer temp ever was like 117. But it will regularly top 100 in July and August. Been mild so far with mid 90s this year. But its a "dry heat." [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Humidity is like max of 20 normally at 4PM.

I do have to say the motor is really nice. I prefer Fords myself, but the 4.3L is no dog. It gets that truck a scootin pretty good. I wouldn't turn a new(er) truck down, but I'm pretty happy. And I don't have to pay for insurance, maintenance, repairs, or daily fuel. Just what fuel I use when I take off to go riding somewhere (I can get 20MPG if I'm heading to like Hollister (mostly flat land driving) and it drops to 18-19 going to Pismo (about 50 miles of hills & curvees). Pretty good deal.

I thought the recommendation of 8K mile intervals was a bit much. But you should see it when I head out for a weekend. I'm gonna weigh it one of these days. I don't think I'm over, but it's close. And that only happens 1x mos, usually. Sometimes only every 2 mos. if funds are low. If anything I'll rotate flush and drop every other time.

Trailers over like 1,000lbs need brakes for the S10/S15/Sonoma per the manual. GMC won't ever tell me it's towing capacity. I couldn't even get a GCWR from them. Song and dance about depending on what equipment is in it. Well, ya idiot, it's what it had at the factory. Give me a GCWR, that won't change!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel