Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: MrTommy
There's a CHP behind every blade of grass just LOOKING to find you in violation of SOMETHING. Blowing your nose in public, walking too loudly, sneezing while making a left turn, breathing too much air...

Pray for us...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Tommy, Maybe around every corner. Especially be careful on the down side of the long grades between Donner Summit and Auburn. They have really cracked down in that area. Way to many accidents. Even if you are going over by 1 mph, you run the risk of getting stopped.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Your guages only cost you $700? Was that for 3 guages, installed? If so, that's one heck of a price[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
It is to bad Banks came out with this new set-up. I like it too. But, won't go backwards to get it. I'll eventually get the A frame pods.

And I breath just fine in California. Too bad I just can't see the Sierras and Diablo Range everyday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I know I haven't seen too many CHP around here. It's weird...almost freaky. Didn't see but maybe one or two this weekend between Fresno and Pismo. Usually I almost see them out on 41 between Lemoore and Kettleman. They used to joke that Kettleman's biggest GDP was speeding tickets issued by the CHP.

Just keep it legal and you should be just fine.

Had a friend get off lucky last year. Stopped doing 80 in the number one lane, on 99 in northern Kern County (one city south of Delano...can't remember the name...prison/jail right off the side of the freeway) towing a trailer. Yep, you read that right. Got off with a 66MPH ticket. LUCKY! That's another bad area for speeding. 99 goes from 2 lanes to 3 as you cross County Line Rd into Kern County so it's off to the races everyone goes.

You get used to the brown air this time of year. It's pretty nasty in Fresno right now. The Sierras are obscured by the Peterson Fire up around the "Four Lane" on 168 near Shaver Lake. 180 Acres last night with 0% containment. Hot and DRY! Upper 90s on the Valley Floor. Probably 10-20 cooler up there.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Rescue, actually, I think the gauges were right AT $800. I had to go back and pull out the receipt. There was some other stuff done and I guessed at the part that was "gauges". I was having the oil changed at the same time, and of course, the tranny fluid and filter. So minus the tranny stuff, and the oil, I figure it was about $800. Yeah, $700 would be a deal...

B & R, I think the problem with your friend's situation was that it's only 55 for cars with trailers - right? It's hard to watch that stuff when here in Nevada, and Utah, it's the same speed for everyone - cars, cars with trailers, trucks, bicycles, hikers, Morman crickets, everyone.

One of my fellow drivers said he got a ticket going over Donner for 57mph last week. That's 2 mph over. That's nuts! Your speed can vary 2 mph just by putting on new tires, at least on big trucks where the tread may be over an inch deep. But, your speedo does NOT change and always reads the same speed. If that isn't revenue enhancing, I don't know what is.

I had to do two "Sac turns" one night last week and I'm used to just hammering down going east out of Reno. I never pay attention to my speed because the limit is 75 and my truck is set at 65. Well, needless to say, I was scared crapless to make that trip and was on the brakes all the time, keeping the speedo RIGHT AT 55. Made me physically ill [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Quad Patrol

BlackandRed, You referring to Chow Chilla? It's a womens facility. Yea, Chp gave him a break. Usually, You will find them around the high accident areas. Hwy 41 and Hwy 46 are terrible. Too many people impatient and passing over double yellows etc. 2 trips ago, We were on Hwy 41 just west of 33. Heavy traffic both ways. Stupid idiot going east bound decides he's had enough, tries passing multiple cars/trailers. Cuts of a vehicle about 300 feet in front of us, car swerves to the right to avoid collision. Over corrects, does a heck of a job not to take out anymore cars. But, rolls 3 times. Luckily, he walks away no injuries, atleast onscene. Guy who cut if him off, Gone like the wind. I'm sure no one every called his license plate in.

Tommy, even though the speed limit might be 55 or whatever, it can change by traffic, weather, roadway conditions etc. I agree, too many things can change the speed limit of a vehicle from what the factory put together, when it left the factory. But, we do live in the NASCAR era and people drive like they are competing against everyone else. It's funny, when the speed limit was 55 mph. The avg driver was going 65, that's 10 miles over. Now that we are going 65, the avg went up again by 10 mph. So, now, we are going 75 instead. But, throw in, changing the cd, watching the movie on our dvd, arguing with the wife and/or kids, drafting or tailgating,speeding and the infamous cellular phones. We wonder why the traffic collisions are up. We got complacent. We have front and side airbags, bigger cars, abs brakes, etc. We feel safer in our home on wheels. But when Law Enforcement is out doing their jobs to make sure our family/friends and love ones are safer from all the jerks out there, we complain. Sometimes, we all break the law, one way or another. Heck, I've received a speeding ticket from CHP. No one is immuned. It's the chance you take when you choose to break or bend the laws.
Anyways, I'll get off my horse. Back on subject; Even $800 is a good buy, around here, you can expect to pay around $1100 or so, installed. Lt. Dan

Old 07-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

You guys actually paid to have guages installed?????? WTF? Its soooooo easy.. We did ours in a few ours.. saved 350-500.. It reguiars regular hand tools and half a day.. Super easy.. lol

You guys got ripped.. I would install them for 100-150..

lol.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
You guys actually paid to have guages installed?????? WTF? Its soooooo easy.. We did ours in a few ours.. saved 350-500.. It reguiars regular hand tools and half a day.. Super easy.. lol

You guys got ripped.. I would install them for 100-150..

lol.
Haven't got them yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, sometimes my time is more important to me then the money. I am capable of doing it. Just depends on what's going on in my life at the time.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: powerstroke01You guys actually paid to have guages installed?????? WTF? Its soooooo easy.. We did ours in a few ours.. saved 350-500.. It reguiars regular hand tools and half a day.. Super easy.. lolYou guys got ripped.. I would install them for 100-150..lol.
Haven't got them yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, sometimes my time is more important to me then the money. I am capable of doing it. Just depends on what's going on in my life at the time.
Do you know which ones youre going to get?
yeah i know what you mean... But just think, if you did do them your self youd have all that mod money left over.. lol

Old 07-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rescue, during your smog induced rant (you sure it wasn't enhanced by our BC Bud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ? ) you made one comment that was too hard to pass up. the cars are bigger now???? what?? you mean the 1976 Caprice Classic is smaller and lighter than the 2004 Toyota Echo? Must be that metric system of measuring. cars today are made of microscopic thin metal to reduce weight, even our beloved powerstrokes are paper thin metal. the old cars were heavy tanks. The highway patrol used to just rinse you off the dash in an mva, and then drive your car away. I disagree with ya on that one.

there is NEVER EVER an excuse for giving a ticket at 2mph over in decent weather. maybe in fog or a blizzard, but not even in heavy traffic is that justified. if a guy is tailgating, the appropriate charge is following too close. I respect law enforcement, but not when they do cheese-dick stuff like that. the NCO in charge of that detachment should give the directive to give out tickets at min. 5-10 MPH over, plus min. fine unless the guys a dick, then go bigger. that's the way they do it here. It's not the cop's $$, and the message is sent at a $130 fine plus impact on ins. rates.

Old 07-14-2004, 03:26 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Ok...hopefully I won't take so long on this one. hehe (start time is 11:06)

Tommy: She claimed (at the time to the CHP officer) that she didn't know. Funny enough he smiles, and points to the speed sign about 100' or so in front of the car. She still got off easy. Though, she did end up braking/cracking her L4 & L5 later that day while riding. VERY expensive weekend for her. Also ended up with citations for expired tags, and no registration in car (she lost the previous years registration). You're correct. If you got something draggin behind you better keep it at 55. Rarely happens. She did also talk him out of giving our friend a ticket for tailgaiting. CHP couldn't get between my friend and the friend following us. And that truck had some seriously dark windows. CHP wrote him up on infraction a few months ago for that one.

I follow the rule, if the trucks are doing 55, the Popo is around somewhere playing hide and seek. Basically I try and stay with the trucks when I'm towing. I figure they are gonna nab the commercial guys first. They get that double plus fine and 1.5 pts factor on violations. Better bang for the buck.

Most speedos from the factory are 1-2 MPH fast. Says 60, but you're going 58 type of thing.

In case you aren't aware, CA has a SERIOUS budget issue. I'll leave my anti-Governator remarks off the site. I've heard before from a Alameda Sherriff I've ridden with that CHP is zero tolerance. You get lit up, you're driving away with a ticket.

Rescue: Not Chowchilla. Now that's a place to go find a woman! NOT. This was 2.5 hrs south. Heading into Kern County from Tulare County. It's on the west side of the freeway. Small unit though. I'm sure it's just a Kern County Gray Bar Hotel. Ok, I *think* it's McFarland. There's a McD's right there (we stopped for breakfast that morning.)

Yeah, usually I see them all over the place. Just been "lucky" the last few times I guess. Usually almost always see one between Reef City (41 & 33) and the Kern Line. Usually flipping a U-turn at the line, either way.

My boss seen the results of someone trying to fly their toy hauler. He was ferrying a truck over to his house in Nipomo. Usually he just flys and laughs at all of us ground dwellers lined up at 33.

confused: I think rescue was alluding to all the SUVs and full-size trucks. We seem to be going to the extremes in cars. Either featherweights for economy or big stuff because we need them, or they are status symbols.

Wow, that only took me 20 minutes!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-14-2004, 03:43 AM
Quad Patrol

Confused, must of had my head up my 5 inch tail pipe too long today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Around here old cars, outside of the graffiti era and occasional beater-up from the 70's, SUV's and Trucks rule the road. Yes, they are lighter then the metal weighing beast from the past, but, for the most part, I believe, they are bigger then the past vehicles.

There is a time and place for zero tolerance enforcement. We use what's called the Letter of the Law and Spirit of the Law. When, the law says you shall not go over 55 mph and I write you for going 56 mph. Then, I'm enforcing the Letter of the law. Now, it is up to me to explain to the judge, why I felt it was an unsafe speed. And I will use whatever information I had, at that time to argue my case. Majority of the time though, we operate using the Spirit of the Law. Now, I know that things occur and happen for various reasons, that we can and sometimes can't control as drivers. So, I work under the Spirit of the Law. I let common sense prevail. Even though the law says one thing, it does give me the latitude to use my judgement(outside of DUI and domestic violence). When I'm working, I usually give you 5-8 mph over the posted speed limit. But, when the traffic is such where, even at 56 mph, it is a hazard and drivers don't slow down, 56 might be an unsafe speed. In the area mentioned earlier, CHP was getting hammered with auto accidents left and right. They contirbuted it to the unsafe speed that was on the highway. And actually, I believe it's 65 through this area. So, let's say 66 mph. I am a firm believer in direct enforcement. If, I identify a problem area, in this case speeders. Then, you use direct enforcement towards that. This is to try and hopefully change attitudes about driving. I could care less about state coffers and insurance companies pocket books. When lives are at stake and nothing seems to work, then direct enforcement and ZERO tolerance usually gets peoples attention. You might not agree with it. And that's fine, I respect you for your opinion, But, sometimes, it's the only thing that gets peoples attention.

As far as tailgating goes, If I put 10 feet between me and the car in front of me, it will be occupied by another vehicle. I drive the highway everyday. And between my house and Modesto, I can usually count on a rear ender somewhere along the way. Why? because of unsafe speed, following too closely, etc. etc. Everyone is tuned into 55, 65 or whatever the maximum speed is. But, that's just it, it's the maximum speed. For some reason, we don't feel we have to slow down at all, unless of course it's foggy or a blizzard. It's not always that cut and dry, on when to slow down. And I should say that the above enforcement was put out to the genreal public through the media, before action was taken on ZERO tolerance.

Back to the thread, where are you pulling you quads this weekend to ride?

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel