Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Skinner, that motorcycle, that I thought:[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] was going to land in the back of my truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]and didn't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] WHEW[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well, it sure threw mud onto it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I just washed that thing 3 days ago[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Anyways, I guess mud is better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] then a screwed up tailgate and camper shell[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 05:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Trasher

Hand torqing lug nuts is nothing new. That should be done on all vehicles. I never had my techs use an impact on any lug period.
well i guess not, they didn't have pre-set torq sticks back in those days![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i remember having to jump up and down on some tire irons way back when thanks to ITUBI (impact tools used by idiots).

yep sounds like a hanging caliper/seized piston from what yer describing MD. altho, the slides should be cleaned & lubricated when you do a brake job, and some mechanics will just rush thru and replace pads/turn rotor, that's it.

well that's great that skinner and MD got to put faces to the names. I've been reluctant to meet cuz I don't wanna be responsible for breaking up anyones marraige. (hey, American chicks dig fat outta shape Canadian guys.. what can i say[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ). just ask Festus.... wait a minute, that was a knock-out Canadian girl from the CNIB (Canadian Natl Institute for the Blind) who somehow... mistakenly ended up with him. altho, she was eleven-teen.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

[Creator, that's what it was doing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] last time, the piston started to melt from over heating[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]don't know why, the trailer I pull, is well within the capabilities of the truck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and I have a electric brake, too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So, I'm all confused about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
A lot of Ford products use/used a Phenolic piston in the caliber. It's a type of plastic type material that is set at closer clearances and if they get any buildup on the sides they will stick in the piston bore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

[well i guess not, they didn't have pre-set torq sticks back in those days![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i remember having to jump up and down on some tire irons way back when thanks to ITUBI (impact tools used by idiots).

yep sounds like a hanging caliper/seized piston from what yer describing MD. altho, the slides should be cleaned & lubricated when you do a brake job, and some mechanics will just rush thru and replace pads/turn rotor, that's it.
I used to sell tools for a living and can tell you that the torque sticks are better than nothin (Festus talk)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] but they are not perfect. The torque will vary from user to user, gun to gun, various pressures, etc.

Also, if you are torquing wheels often, bend over and buy a snap on torque wrench. It's the only one that will do a great job over and over and not break after a couple of months use. They don't have to be backed off either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I have a couple and sold other brands of tools[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Yer right about the caliper slides. Most people just slap pads and then wonder why the job didn't last as long as the first set. You must clean(maybe sandpaper) the slides and lude them before replacing the pads.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MeHeathen
I do not own one personally but my best friend does. His is a 2002 and he lives in Yuma, Az. He pulls a 32 foot 5th wheel up to Camplands by the Sea (near Mission Beach) I am sure you know where I am talking about! lol He said he only used 10 gallons of gas and he drove 45 mph on the steepest of hills.

I would also like to mention that he is very impressed with Ford's new 6.0 L...more Hp and torque and a bit peppier. At any rate...quality is there. Hope this helps and please ask any questions that you may have!
MeHeathen- welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If your buddy used only 10 gallons of "gas" (fuel fer those pesty oil burners[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) he has an amazing truck there! I live in San Diego and it takes me 2 hrs and 15 minutes to get to Yuma and that's driving 75mph and I use about that much gas in my Honda Civic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

176 miles to Campland by the bay to 16th st in Yuma so he got 17.6 mpg[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Ohh creator your sooo smart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] i wish i could come up with fancy math like that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] anyhow back on the Shakin fords uynder braking while towing. Factory Ford rotors from 99 - ?? Suck ****. they warp like plastic by a flame. and once the rotors warp they dont really shake to bad under normal driving (assuming your not a brake happy woman with black wheels) but when you throw a 12,000 lb trailer behind it it tends to get its shake on. that shake then wears out your ball joints. then it starts makin a Clunk. its pretty nifty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] darn fords. Still love em anyway.
So saturday i was out riding with a buddy in his new Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 and he was like you wanna find out how fast it goes. I was like sure. Well we hit 105 and it was still pullin hard and we ran outta room due to traffic. I wonder what the rev limiter is on those cuz the ol ford goies limp at 97

Old 01-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Ohh creator your sooo smart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] i wish i could come up with fancy math like that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
ya, well I didn't even use that calulator thingy either so there........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

[So saturday i was out riding with a buddy in his new Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 and he was like you wanna find out how fast it goes. I was like sure. Well we hit 105 and it was still pullin hard and we ran outta room due to traffic. I wonder what the rev limiter is on those cuz the ol ford goies limp at 97
I don't know bout yer friends festus. Why would he waste his time even askin you if you want to find out how fast the truck is?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] he must know you very well[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Put the hammer down............. Like , sure dude,, Uh uh uhh.....

Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Festus, you forgot to mention he picked you up from a state prison after a conjugal visit and the reason for speed was the prison break- away.

Creator, I have a cheap Chinese knock-off (Gel) torq wrench and it works fine for handyman use. shop use might be different. I'd need to sell your house in Diego or Zona to afford a Snap-On tool. Their arrogance is much like a Honda dealers. I'd rather buy from Allied or Mac or whoever, than them. But listen to me, I just spent $30 in a Snap -On truck, on an E-torx deep socket, E-5, in order to replace the solenoid on my GM starter. Funny, EVERY parts jobber sells the solenoid, NO ONE sells the tool you need to remove it??????go figure. and it would be a $3-5 socket anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel